bf evo

Well i really thought about starting BF:evo..but i have to say i don't like the miniatures very much. scale and paintjobs of the tanks are a bit strange, especially next to infantrymen they look like toys used as proxys imho. But that wouldn't have been enough to keep me from the game, as i could still try to make an army of infantry with a little air support (i'm a big fan of all infantry armys anyway) and then i saw the PLA models...

no, just no.

The Paint Jobs ok, especially the camo is probably really better than what i could manage...buuuuut the poses are just...if you compare them to the prepainted lami previews we saw or to "real'" miniatures...whats the english word for zinnsoldat? seriously, they loook like theyre standing on the firing range and not like they are in an actual battle, and if i hate one thing, its non-dynamic models.

so if this really is the overall quality of the models...well who wants can play attack of the clones, but i won't, at least not with mongooses miniatures.

Look at it this way: You're being given an opportunity to repose some of the models. See, the "hobby" aspect isn't completely gone!

Personally, I'd rather them focus on better accuracy on the sculpts and better paintjobs than on multiple poses. I'm not a fan of non-dynamic models, but I change them myself :)

And the T-99 looks odd because it is a very low tank. Shoot, the whole T series is short. I've been in a T-72; the turret isn't much higher than my head (I'm six feet tall), and sitting in the driver's seat I was sitting well below standing height. (need to scrounge up picture of me in tank...)

Completely plastic!

bfeplainfantrygunner_detail.jpg

so its a solid plastic block, looking as dynamic as some very old boxed sets of a certain other company.

it'll probably be as easy to scratch build my own miniatures then getting these chinese dudes to stop parading and looking like 21st century miniatures...

the more i look at these mniniatures, the less i like them...

What i like is there in real proportiona and not in scifi fantasy proportions brisling unreal mussles !!!

the guns are true to size, somthing wargamers arnt used to, unless they do historical

the tanks re to scale, the T series of thanks are designed to fit in multistory carparks top keep them safe from air attacks and such, also the low profile actualy makes them harder to hit and spot, as well as more resiliant to blast damage.

welcome guys to real size tanks and not 40k rino tank conversions that wouldnt last 5 mins in the modern battle feild.

Just to add a positive note: I really, really like the PLA infantry!

Poses:
LOOK! Soldiers FIRING (OK, aiming) their weapons! I like that idea much better than what the alternative could be. Soldiers FIRING (OK, aiming) their HEAVY weapons! That's so rare it's almost original. :lol:

No lugging along with the machine gun! For reference; see WWII miniatures. Especially the old plastics. Ugh.

We could have had "guy walking along causually, guy looking at weapon, guy looking one way while firing another, guy falling down, guy shot, guy bumping into door...etc."

I really like that they kept to at least the proper selection of poses "firing, standing, marching". Since marching on a BF:E battlefield seems sort of stupid (add to list above in this case, subtract back for fantasy and pre modern historicals) then simply firing and standing look fine to me. Even 5 firing with exact same pose I like. These are fodder on the tabletop, I simply don't care that they're the same pose. However, if they're the same stupid pose (see above for examples) then I would care. Commanders I expect to have commanding poses however. Besides, I think they look "convertable" to me if I want some other poses. I think Mongoose made the right choice here. Easy to paint for them (multiples of the same pose) and since they're pre-painted I frankly don't have to worry about my painting interest with variable poses.

If I've translated Mr. Evil correctly, I also like the "real proportiona". :wink:

Painting
I like the paint jobs. They're better than what I WOULD do. Not so much better than what I CAN do. Meaning, I'll pay $3.50 for prepainted miniatures that I simply would not spend the time painting. Heck, if these were unpainted I wouldn't even be buying them. I have too many other projects right now to start another project. I had to drop something else to fit in SST.

Here I was thinking I could stay away from this game? I can't wait. :D

cOwgummi said:
so its a solid plastic block, looking as dynamic as some very old boxed sets of a certain other company.

it'll probably be as easy to scratch build my own miniatures then getting these chinese dudes to stop parading and looking like 21st century miniatures...

the more i look at these mniniatures, the less i like them...

Define solid block. The space between the legs looks hollow to me. For your information I happen to know that these are directly modelled from real life photographic poses, not just some artist's impression. I get fed up of people thinking we go around in combat all stretched out like some kind of Airifix soldiers.

These are in-combat poses and are all the better for it. As for the guy who said something about them looking like they were on a firing range...well, guess what happens on a firing range? Troopers practice _firing_. Anybody thinks troops go into action and then just forget all their training?

Thanks Ted. I try not to wade in on things like this as it's not our way of doing things, but Ted's right. The poses are taken from shots of real people holding guns. The proportions are accurate - painfully so for those used to overly-developed musculature on minis and guns the size of a motorcycle.

Soldiers don't run around in comedy poses like old Airfix soldiers. Anybody ever tried putting together a coherent looking squad from an old Airfix box? All the ordinary blokes are running about and then the guy with the LMG is either walking or crawling.

first things first, i don't have any problem with the realistic proportions. Its one of the few things i really like about these miniatures.

i come to the solid block conclusion as there doesn't seem to be much, if any, room betwenn the arms and weapon of the troopers and their torsos (especially at the shoulders, i mean its realistical, but i think it'll be really hard to get the weapon cut out of there and reposition the arms without resculpting the half of both)

it also isn't my problem that the pose would be unrealistic or something like that, its just that its the same pose over and over again. and thus they are realistic, they don't look very combat dynamic.
I would've prefered a squad that actually looks like its moving and in combat overall, some walking or even runing, securing the different flanks, throwing grenades, at least a few more kneeling troopers, what about a lying one?
things like that.
Thats what i meant with firing range, they don't look like moving across a battlefield or even standing at one, not because some of them have the "standing and firing" pose, but because ALL of them have either that or the "guard duty" pose of the 2 guys in front.

dneff25 said:
I actually like the miniatures. If this is a sign of what is to come, then I will be playing BF:Evo.

Indeed I do as well, now to find sutible subjects for convertion. The USMC looks most promising so far :twisted:

Seriously I like 'em.

I do like the realistic proportions, and I can live with the uncovertedsomewhat static poses.
But just to see how realistic and still dynamic poses can be have a look here:
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.asp?manu=CAE&code=H030
and here
http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/Review.asp?manu=REV&code=02520

BTW. here is the PLA Tank:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1372&qsSeries=47#
and the MEA Infantry (looking nice to me)
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/detail.php?qsID=1375&qsSeries=47#

Thanks for the links. Well the MEA look better than the PLA but still suffer from many of the same defects. Tank is OK but nothing special.

Back