Batrep(ish) and preliminary thoughts on carrier force

I find the posideon to be pretty valuable.......It takes alot for it to roll over and die, (tis why I call mine bulldog :wink:) It's good in what it does, just sit there and look sexy, while pooping out fighters and drawing fire, my last campaign I took three of these babies and a bunch of olympi, Too bad the posideon doesnt have better armor or missile racks, it's not a bad ship actually, but it's not good actually, but it still #1 on my fleet list

List of supporters of this view:

- Fireymonkeyboy

- MustEatBrains

- Triggy

- Lord David the Denied

- Silvereye

Anyone else?
:wink:

kind of. wait until you see a swarm of whitestar fighters gunning down your flagship then may change your view.

think it needs one extra ruling in that anti fighter weapons get the chance to fire on fighters before they attack as thats what they are for, intercepting fighters and they generally dont have enough firepower to stop a concerted fighter attack.

Has anyone thought kind of a middle-of-the-ground approach? This would take more book-keeping, but might balance things a bit.

Basically, when you buy a fighter squadron, or the fighters from a ship, they belong to a specific squadron. Then, when firing you nominate all flights from a single 'squadron' to fire as if they were any other ship. It would require more book-keeping, as I posted, but would give more tactical flexibility without the 'all or nothing' general approach currently with fighters.

LaranosTZ said:
Has anyone thought kind of a middle-of-the-ground approach? This would take more book-keeping, but might balance things a bit.

Basically, when you buy a fighter squadron, or the fighters from a ship, they belong to a specific squadron. Then, when firing you nominate all flights from a single 'squadron' to fire as if they were any other ship. It would require more book-keeping, as I posted, but would give more tactical flexibility without the 'all or nothing' general approach currently with fighters.
We have being playin a similar way. Firing a wings worth of fighters at once ( Patrol point). Don't have to be part of wing or belong to the same ship eg Centauri fire 4 fighters at a time, EA fire 3. Just went for the maximum amount, that way you could fire 4 rutarians or mix instead of 2 since can only buy 2 for patrol point. Have various other house rules. Honestly can't see us adopting armagedon rules unless they work really well.

The Armageddon rules work very well and are a good boon for fighters.

Until someone decides to break and go fighter heavy. Like 5 point battle fleet of 10 Novae or somesuch.

Already can see my Corvans are going to get raped especially by T Bolts.
T bolts are just plain mean, wish my rutarians were as useful/maybe more plentiful

Which doesn't help at all. Who's going to be daft enough to take a Liati in any game? As for the Adira, at armageddon level it's rarely going to see the tabletop.

Rutarians should come as standard on the Balvarix carrier. Its in service date is 2262, and the Rutarian's in service date is 2258. Plenty of time to produce them and start assigning them to the new fleet carriers.

I think the change to fighter rules is one thing about Armageddon I like the sound of. Shame there isn't some more. :(

LaranosTZ said:

This has been suggested more than once before, but nothing has happened. Unfortunately the talk will switch from fighters are naff (which they are under SFOS) to figthers are two good.

katadder said:
rutarions haveprecise which is even handier, and they come as standard on the adira and liati.
Ever try hitting anything with one. Just not enough of them to get the hits. They are overpriced espescially compared to the T Bolt. It's just to expensive to place them on your ships.

Well it is kinda useful when playing battle or war lvl games, and you dont want to only purchase Corvans.....

But with the new FAP allocation, even that point is moot.

Well, under the new rules, if you want to protect your ship from even being shot at by fighters, all you have to do is to use defensive fighters yourself to protect your ships.

The new rules encourage integrating fighters into your tactics, but even without them, fighters would usually get onlyone or maybe two attempts to fire at your ships before the usual AF-stuff kicks in, and blasts them out of the sky...

Yes but Vree get how many fighters again?

And this pertains mostly to EA fleets. they can get both bucketloards of fighters with some ncie ships on top.

And against massed fighters it doesnt help to have a few defensive fighters, simply because they cant take all of em. 15 plus bases cant be all put into a dogfight......

I think the new system ti a good one. Its only at the extremes that there will be problems....

katadder said:
rutarions haveprecise which is even handier, and they come as standard on the adira and liati.

They only have 1D of it as I recall. They just can't hit often enough and they are too expensive. T-Bolts are far scarier and they come by the bushel.

Tzarevitch

I liked a middle ground appraoch.

We contemplated running that fighters activated with their mother ship for a while, we already tracked it for crew quality but decided to wait and see what arm. brought.

I agree it gave fighter back their teeth but at the expense of an entire races design, and significant problems for many others if the fighter numbers are large. Sadly it also left the limited arc anti-fighter weapons impotent in many cases, as fighters simply stay out of those arcs. The ranges are not long enough to cover the ship next to one with AF.

Ripple

Back