Basic Character Creation questions

DramaticExit

Mongoose
Hey all, a few quick character creation questions. :)

1) I'm trying to get a feel for - before we all descend on a new/first-time RQ2 campaign - how important CAs are. It doesn't seem too difficult to get 3 CAs, especially if using point buy. Of course, I realise there is a tradeoff elsewhere. However I suspect, for example, 3 CA is superior to 2 CA + 1d4 DB. With all that in mind, I'd appreciate some anecdotal feedback. In your groups, how many players do not have 3 CAs? Do the 2 CA people noticeably suffer?

2) In Character Creation you sometimes receive Lore(Any) for an Advanced Skill option. Am I correct in thinking that Lore(Any) from an Advanced Skill cannot be used for any magic related Lore (e.g. 'specific theology'), as magic related Lore is only available under the Magical Skill heading.

3) Armour is expensive for starting characters. Is armour intended to be a rarity for game balance reasons? Have your early-campaigns for RQ2 been a party money-gathering exercise with the aim to buy some decent armour?

Hi
Regarding CAs, I find any “physical” type character really ought to have 3 CAS, which IMHO is better than getting a +1d4 DB.
If you can manage both, all the better.
It’s not always possible with say caster types to get the 3 CAs (depending on the build etc), but it’s not as important for them.
However for fighter, rogue etc type character I would definitely be treating 3 CAs as a priority.
I noticed most of the creatures have 3 CAs.

Regarding the Lore question, I don’t have the rules book with me, but I’m pretty sure magical type Lores are advanced skills.
I could be wrong tho and that might be specific to the Elric/MRQ2 rules, which I use.

Regarding armor and equipment. I personally ignore starting money and just say you can have basic equipment appropriate to your character design.
So if you have a soldier type character I will let them start with armor that provides up to 3 APs and 2 weapons.
That sort of thing..
When they’re kitted out their characters, I let them have a small purse of money to keep them going for a while (Less than a couple of hundred SPs).
Of course this isn’t all written in stone, if someone has a specific character idea in mind, I’m flexible to a degree as long as it doesn’t put that character at a distinct advantage over others.

Damage can be easily boosted by a variety of different magics, but CAs are harder to come by. Coordination is I think the only Common Magic that might give you that if you are already close to getting one more.

DramaticExit said:
I'm trying to get a feel for - before we all descend on a new/first-time RQ2 campaign - how important CAs are. It doesn't seem too difficult to get 3 CAs, especially if using point buy. Of course, I realise there is a tradeoff elsewhere. However I suspect, for example, 3 CA is superior to 2 CA + 1d4 DB. With all that in mind, I'd appreciate some anecdotal feedback. In your groups, how many players do not have 3 CAs? Do the 2 CA people noticeably suffer?
In our campaign's first battle, the brave warrior (2 CA) and the shamans (2 CA) were having a tough time against a bunch mutant humanoids (2 CA). Then, our humble farm boy came to the rescue with 3 CAs and a shield (grand total 4 CA) and trounced the beasties. The running joke is that if anything needs doing right, ask the farm boy.
2) In Character Creation you sometimes receive Lore(Any) for an Advanced Skill option. Am I correct in thinking that Lore(Any) from an Advanced Skill cannot be used for any magic related Lore (e.g. 'specific theology'), as magic related Lore is only available under the Magical Skill heading.
I don't know about others, but I'd allow Lore(Any) to be a specific theology. That would imply that the character knows a lot about the history and mythology of the cult. But without a Pact skill, they're not casting any spells.

languagegeek said:
The running joke is that if anything needs doing right, ask the farm boy.

"Farm boy, polish my horse's saddle. I want to see my face shining in it by morning."
"As you wish."

"Farm boy, fill these with water - please."
"As you wish."

:lol:

Many thanks for all the input, it's all a bit clearer on the CA topic :)

On the equipment front, it looks like we'll be using the rules roughly as written with a couple of changes:
  • - instead of receiving one weapon for free, you receive 'two-hands worth of equipment' - so a 2h-weapon, or a weapon+buckler.
    - starting money is based off a high average roll, e.g. 300sp for Barbarian.

Yup CAs are tremendously important. Especially if you have other ways to boost your damage.

However, if fighting heavily armoured enemies, getting through hides can be pretty hard without extra damage.

Mixster said:
However, if fighting heavily armoured enemies, getting through hides can be pretty hard without extra damage.
...except, if you have as many actions as your foe, your attacks may be parried, reducing your damage. If you have more actions, you will be more likely to have an unopposed attack, which means you are more likely to generate a CM, whihc gives you more options for getting past the armour....

languagegeek said:
I don't know about others, but I'd allow Lore(Any) to be a specific theology. That would imply that the character knows a lot about the history and mythology of the cult. But without a Pact skill, they're not casting any spells.
Just to confirm this. I saw that in the character generation example with Edric, he uses his free Advanced Lore(Any) from his Barbarian Culture to choose a Lore(Specific Theology), so looks like it's all fine RAW.

On a related note, I have no idea how the finished Edric afforded his equipment. A full set of Hard Leather and a Heater Shield?

DramaticExit said:
On a related note, I have no idea how the finished Edric afforded his equipment. A full set of Hard Leather and a Heater Shield?

A lot of people just assume that someone will have the basic equipment for his job, rather than having to buy everything.

So, Edric being a barbarian would come with a barbarian's basic kit, i.e. armour and a shield.

soltakss said:
DramaticExit said:

A lot of people just assume that someone will have the basic equipment for his job, rather than having to buy everything.

So, Edric being a barbarian would come with a barbarian's basic kit, i.e. armour and a shield.
Aye I understand that, however I'm not sure on the balance implications - which is partly where question #3 came from - since the rules are fairly specific on what starting characters have.

Annnnd another character generation question:

4) Can Pact be raised with Freebie Points at character generation? We'd initially assumed 'yes' but:
- that means Divine casters will generally be casting at Magnitude 5 as a starting character.
- the conversion guide for the previous edition only mentions spending freebie points at the Acolyte and above ranks
- the freebie points spending-guide mentions spending points on Common and Advanced Skills specifically, but not Magic; though Edric does spend points on Lore (Specific Theology).

As always, thanks in advance :)

Apologies for the bump, any thoughts on #4?

It occurs to me that with the +20% you can receive by linking backgrounds, a divine caster could start with Mag 7 spells. Ho hum.

Back