Babylon Traveller Arrives!

Rikki Tikki Traveller

Cosmic Mongoose
I got my copy of B5 Traveller last Friday and have spent the weekend going through it.

Overall it is a good book for anyone familiar with the B5 setting. If you are expecting to be able to buy this book and play the setting without knowing anything else about one of the best SF series ever made,then you will be in trouble. The book is NOT a detail of the setting, but a general overview and a way to convert Traveller to the B5 setting.

I did have several problems with it though...

1. The gray background was a bit dark and made some of the text hard to read. The sidebars, which were even darker, were almost impossible to read. I suggest that on the next print run, they lighten up the background colors.

2. There are still several sections where the D20 game system is used. Specifically, the sidebar text at the top of page 137 (Accessing the Airlocks) uses the DC 30 and DC20 rolls instead of standard Traveller rolls.

3. The system descriptions and maps were perhaps the biggest disappointment. The systems are explained by government grouping, but the subsector maps are not printed in the same order as the descriptions. For example, the first group discussed is the Earth Alliance, but the Narn Subsector map is shown. This holds true throughout this section.

Also, the UWPs listed don't match the text descriptions of the worlds. Atmosphere code 5 seems to be unbreathable some of the time but not others. Also the description of the Beta 7 system seems to have a description block from the B5 game, since government codes are given that don't match any Traveller codes.

WHERE IS BABYLON 5 on the MAP? I could not find where B5 or the Epsilon system were located. I THINK it belongs in hex 0101 of the Sol Subsector, but there is nothing there.

None of the Jump Routes cross subsector lines. so we don't know how to get from Narn space to EA space safely.

The Narn subsector shows that the Earth Alliance and the "Sh'Lassan Empire" are in the next subsector to the right, but only the EA worlds are shown in the Sol Subsector... There is a huge gap at the lower LH corner of the map where a few worlds for the Sh'Lassan's could have been easily added.

Also, what happened to all the barren systems that ships have to travel through to get where they want to go? I miss the fact that Raiders have no places to catch merchants while they travel between lonely jumpgates.

Honestly, I may go to the B5 map from the D20 game and use that.

4. There is no map or layout of the B5 station itself.
There is a big section of the book labeled "Babylon 5 Revealed", but it has no map. I realize that with a station almost 8 km long, you can't give detailed deck plans, but a good external view showing where the different colored sections are located and some internal details showing where all of the major items are in the main sections (like the Zocalo) would have been nice. Also, a cutaway view through the station showing how the different decks run (with associated gravity) would have been nice too.

5. I reallly liked the PsiCorp history. That section was one of the best in the book along with the alternate psion/telepath powers. The PsiCorp careers seem good and well balanced.

6. The extra events and mishap tables for each race as well as for the various timelines are good, although using only a 1d6 roll will make for a lot of repetition if you have a large group. It also makes certain events very common for PCs. 1 in 6 humans that roll during the Earth-Minbari war will have been on the Battle of the Line. That seems a bit high. 2d6 Tables would have been better for the Events I think.

7. The ship designs are good, except that both of the small civilian transports (the Civilian Trader and the Corporate Freighter) have Jump Drives installed. This makes no sense at all. Those drives should not be there and the space devoted to cargo/passengers.

8. It was very nice that right at the front of the book the IP and OGC items were specifically called out. So there is no waiting for the Developers Pack to be updated. 4 (well 3 actually) new skills are described and can be used in OGL products. The Knowledge skill could be very useful in any game.

Overall a mixed bag, but I am still glad I got it.

Rikki Tikki Traveller said:
1. The gray background was a bit dark and made some of the text hard to read. The sidebars, which were even darker, were almost impossible to read. I suggest that on the next print run, they lighten up the background colors.

This was exactly the comment I made when I saw the preview PDF. :roll:

Ok I got my copy of the book on friday as well, but my question with Mongoose allowing their lience for B5 stuff to expire soon what will happen to the B5 Traveller stuff then. Will we only ever just have these (3) planned B5 books? I still plan to buy them ( I need to pre-order the other two yet) but after that B5 license goes away, will that be it on the Traveller B5 universe?

What about the Star Ship Troopers line?

Also what about the Judge Dread line too?

Penn

The Dredd license isn't going away, because it is no longer a "license" as such.

Starship Troopers is already a dead issue, as I understand it.

I must say that RTT's comments on the book concern me greatly, I'd hoped for better production than that, and so close to the licence termination, the chances of it being fixed in a later print run are slimmer than normal.

LBH

I just had a look at the preview, and can it be confirmed that the final PDF will have the same grey background? That's going to be a bitch to print out. :?

2. There are still several sections where the D20 game system is used. Specifically, the sidebar text at the top of page 137 (Accessing the Airlocks) uses the DC 30 and DC20 rolls instead of standard Traveller rolls.

3. The system descriptions and maps were perhaps the biggest disappointment. The systems are explained by government grouping, but the subsector maps are not printed in the same order as the descriptions. For example, the first group discussed is the Earth Alliance, but the Narn Subsector map is shown. This holds true throughout this section.

Again, I have to ask how this sort of thing gets through playtesting and quality control. Does nobody think to check this stuff before it sees print?

The grey background is a standard feature of Mongoose B&W B5 books. In their colour books it looks quite nice, being an off-white picture from the show, but in B&W it is frankly crap.

Bygoneyrs said:
after that B5 license goes away, will that be it on the Traveller B5 universe?

Keep an eye on S&P - we are currently running an epic Traveller/B5 campaign that, when complete, will be equal to a 128 page softback.

So, you are effectively getting one more book for the line, free!

This thread makes me sad.

Since the preview came out B5 Traveller has gone from a must have, to a maybe take a look to see what I think, to now being a 'no chance, you're having a laugh'

Shame :(

For a big B5 fan (like me) I like the book, dispite my many complaints above.

BUT, it is NOT a complete setting book. You HAVE to know the B5 story to make it work.

Basically the book is a lot of:

Here are Event tables for each of the major era's of the B5 story:

Dilgar War, Minbari War, Babylon Project, Shadow War, Crusade

There is not a lot of info on playing a game in the "Crusade" era, you have to know what they means from the series. It does mention the Drakh plague, but without a lot of details.

It gives you a GOOD place to start building your own B5 Traveller game though. It just isn't COMPLETE.

To me the biggest error was in no station guide/map and not having B5 on the star maps. As a B5 fan, I can fill in that data, but I thought it belonged in the setting book. After all, I don't know where Earhearts is relative to the Zocolo and this would have been a nice place to see that.

I still recommend this book, but don't think it is a "play out of the box" setting.

I still think it was worth the money, even with it's flaws.

Greg Smith said:
The grey background is a standard feature of Mongoose B&W B5 books. In their colour books it looks quite nice, being an off-white picture from the show, but in B&W it is frankly crap.

And it uses a lot more toner! :roll:

msprange said:
Bygoneyrs said:
after that B5 license goes away, will that be it on the Traveller B5 universe?

Keep an eye on S&P - we are currently running an epic Traveller/B5 campaign that, when complete, will be equal to a 128 page softback.
That would be the 14 part adventure "The Legacy of War", being published one episode per issue of S&P, currently on episode 4, which means the last episode should be in next January's issue. Provided, that is, that further episodes can be published after the B5 licence expires, or that there will be one mammoth download of all remaining episodes just before the deadline...

AdrianH said:
That would be the 14 part adventure "The Legacy of War", being published one episode per issue of S&P, currently on episode 4, which means the last episode should be in next January's issue. Provided, that is, that further episodes can be published after the B5 licence expires, or that there will be one mammoth download of all remaining episodes just before the deadline...

To my knowledge, all 14 parts will be published in S&P.

For anyone that has not been reading it, it is an epic campaign that runs parallel to the Crusade storyline and beyond to its conculsion. I'm a big B5 fan so it draws heavily on the established canon where possible.

I'm sure fans of both B5 & Traveller will enjoy it as much as my group has :D

Hi,

Forbidden Planet (Newcastle) don't have "Universe of Babylon 5".

Has anyone else bought a copy of "Universe of Babylon 5" in the UK?

TIA

Ian

Back