Babylon 5 2nd Edition

So where do I find it on the website at Mongoose PUblishing? I cannot find it anywhere for me to order or preorder the new release of the RPG! :?:

Well I have a quick question about the 2nd edition. I have had a very quick skim over the chapters. I like what I see, but I have 2 questions. Which could probably be answered ig I had time to have read the book right through, but my schedule is too hectic for the forseeable future, so I apologise if the answers are obvious.

1) Timeline. I remember mention of the fact that the 2E would make it easier for games to be run in any era. That seems to be the case, but all the example characters are from 2259. Now the only way to get 1st edition 2258 stats is to buy the core rulebook for the first edition. I suspect this is all tied into the sidelined(?) Full Season Guide book, but will we ever see stats for Sinclair or any of the other 2258 characters?

2) Vehicle stats. These seem quite different in 2E that 1E. now maybe I've missed the section where it explains how to convert. but if I didn't, how do we get all those lovely vehicles in our 1st edition supplements to face off in 2E rules?

LBH

lastbesthope said:
1) Timeline. I remember mention of the fact that the 2E would make it easier for games to be run in any era. That seems to be the case, but all the example characters are from 2259. Now the only way to get 1st edition 2258 stats is to buy the core rulebook for the first edition. I suspect this is all tied into the sidelined(?) Full Season Guide book, but will we ever see stats for Sinclair or any of the other 2258 characters?

All in the complete season guide mate

2) Vehicle stats. These seem quite different in 2E that 1E. now maybe I've missed the section where it explains how to convert. but if I didn't, how do we get all those lovely vehicles in our 1st edition supplements to face off in 2E rules?

All the vehicles that were in the 1st ed rule book are updated in the second.

As for converting vehicles from other supplements, building them is the same as building a starship for the most part (only really the features like jump engines etc..that are different), so the fundamentals of vehicle design will be covered in the Shipbuilders Guide to a degree.

I don't know if mongoose intends to release any suppmenets specifically aimed at vehicles and ground troops for the RPG..but considering War Without End is on the horizon it wouldn't surprise if something to cover them for the RPG appears at some point.

Thanks Neo, but I thought I heard somewhere that hte Full Season Guide had been cancelled, or was it just delayed?

As for the ships, I was hoping maybe they could do a conversion guide like they did for characters, maybe a s a download, or including it in the SHipBubilders Guide, or Ships of the Galaxy. Hang on a mo, maybe all the ships from the supplements will be included in Ships of the Galaxy, thus solving my problem?

But basically, my concern is that all the lovely vehicles and maybe even some of the equipment (I haven't looked at that section really yet) in my vast collection of supplements, will no longer be commpatible or balanced with the 2E stuff.

EDIT: Just had a quick look through the Equipment section, the Minbari fighting knife is quite different for one, and I think some things are missing from the 2E book that were in 1E though I could be mistaken.

But I have faith in the Mongooses!

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Thanks Neo, but I thought I heard somewhere that hte Full Season Guide had been cancelled, or was it just delayed?

As for the ships, I was hoping maybe they could do a conversion guide like they did for characters, maybe a s a download, or including it in the SHipBubilders Guide, or Ships of the Galaxy. Hang on a mo, maybe all the ships from the supplements will be included in Ships of the Galaxy, thus solving my problem?

But basically, my concern is that all the lovely vehicles and maybe even some of the equipment (I haven't looked at that section really yet) in my vast collection of supplements, will no longer be commpatible or balanced with the 2E stuff.

EDIT: Just had a quick look through the Equipment section, the Minbari fighting knife is quite different for one, and I think some things are missing from the 2E book that were in 1E though I could be mistaken.

But I have faith in the Mongooses!

LBH

There were changes, some things kept some lost pretty much par for the course when a new edition comes out.

I've no idea if the season guide was cancelled or delayed i'm afraid i know the info you want is in it, but they don't tell us what happens the books once we've been through them.. a few books over the years have not appeared though most do, though so far only two B5 books have not appeared, one because it became something else and the other...well the other just never appeared for whatever reason. I hope the complete season guide isn't another as that would have been a nice chunky reference book.

all the vehicles from the other supplements will be useable though you may have to make a rough guess on some of the spaces based on those listed for other vehicles of the same size from the 2e main rules. Sadly unless it changed since the final edit I saw then the means to convert vehicles is not covered in the conversion guide, it simply states the 1st ed vehicles from the main rules are presented in the new edition in the new format.

Cheers NEO, Ic an alwaysn compare and contrast to other vessels I know stats for, but it's be nice to have 2E stats especially for a White Star.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Cheers NEO, Ic an alwaysn compare and contrast to other vessels I know stats for, but it's be nice to have 2E stats especially for a White Star.

LBH

All Whitestar Variants and the Bluestars and a bunch of other Ranger vessels you will find in the Ships Manual for 2e when its released.

Neo said:
lastbesthope said:

LBH

All Whitestar Variants and the Bluestars and a bunch of other Ranger vessels you will find in the Ships Manual for 2e when its released.

Thanks NEo, but still, I worry about all the other ships, characters, equipment, feats, etc in my 'compatiblre' first edition books.

I think tomorrow night when I am less drunk (Mate;'s B'day party and bowling, I won both games and had the highest score all night) I will sit down and concoct a post listing my concerns and questions, post it here and hoep that my fears will be assuaged by others more in the know than I.

Will post a link tto the thread here when I put it up.

I would relaly like to hear about the fate of the full Season guide.

LBH

The second game was class, last frame, myself and a mate the only 2 with a chance. down to the last frame and I'm 2 pts behid, I score a strike, then a 1, then get all 9 for a spare, 20 scored so 2 ahead!!

My m ate steps up and scores . . . . . . . a strike NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
He then goes up for his first of 2 more balls and gets 7, he's only 1 behind but the pins left are 1,5 and 7. He bowls his last and sends it straight between all 3 pins, I win by 1 point! Victory was mine.

The first game wasn't even close, I got a 9 in the first round followed by a turkey (3 strikes), I could have given up at round 6 and still won.

LBH

Faenril said:
are you not rolling off-topic ? :wink:

Or bowling off topic? :lol:

Yes, I intend to concoct a post on my concerns regarding compatibility oif 1st ed material sometime this weekend, between catching up on my sleep and updating the Shipviewer mirror I host.

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Faenril said:
are you not rolling off-topic ? :wink:

Or bowling off topic? :lol:

Yes, I intend to concoct a post on my concerns regarding compatibility oif 1st ed material sometime this weekend, between catching up on my sleep and updating the Shipviewer mirror I host.

LBH
you great !!

I'm planning on ordering it myself soon. Stupid book, delayed my plans to order the EA Fact book. :lol:

Back