[Babylon 5 1st to 2nd editon] Narn Telepath Question

Boneguard

Mongoose
It's a rule question, but not sure if it would be better in the 'other game subforum. Hope it's the right spot; if not, could you change it to the right spot. Thank you.

I'm planning to prepare an NPC for an Adventure and I'm having a bit of problem with his telepathic class for the Narn NPC.

In the 1st edition rulebook, the Telepath class had to be taken at the 1st Character level (eg. had to be it's first class) and your Psi rating determined how many skills you had.

In the Narn Regime Sourcebook, we had the Harrowed Heritage feat that allow a Narn to be a Telepath -presumably by taking this at 1st level but it's not explicitely stated.

In the 2nd edition rulebook, the Telepath class had been modifier so that you had to take the Telepath feat at 1st level and you could them take Telepath at anytime in your career (unless your telepath Rating was 0 thus being a Latent Telepath).

My problem/Question is: How can I reconcile this need to take these 2 Feats Harrowed Heritage and Telepath?

Do I take Telepath at 1st level then Harrowed Heritage or -in the case of Narn- Telepath is dropped and we use Harrowed Heritage instead?

Boneguard said:
-in the case of Narn- Telepath is dropped and we use Harrowed Heritage instead?

I would go with this. Either Harrowed Heritage counts as Telepath or give a free extra feat - Telepath.

Greg Smith said:
Boneguard said:
-in the case of Narn- Telepath is dropped and we use Harrowed Heritage instead?

I would go with this. Either Harrowed Heritage counts as Telepath or give a free extra feat - Telepath.

That what I also though, as the other way seems to make it very impratical (if not impossible) but I wanted to see if anyone had run into that issue or if an official ruling had been done.

The same way I'm considering limiting Narn P rating to either 1d3-1 or 1d4-1. As they haven't had Mindwalkers in Ages, it would not make sense for them to have Powerful Telepath as the gene probably came from non-telepath carrier distantly related to the Mindwalkers (The most immidiate family were probably purged too as they are more likely to carry strong telepath gene).

There hasn't been an official ruling to my knowledge.

Reducing the P-level is quite a good idea. Although I always though a player may not be happy to have a latent teep after using a precious feat to get Telepath only to roll badly.

Greg Smith said:
Reducing the P-level is quite a good idea. Although I always though a player may not be happy to have a latent teep after using a precious feat to get Telepath only to roll badly.

I know, some players might not like it, but on the other hand a Narn Telepath should be that rare elusive character concept that should represent a great gaming challenge....bisides odds are very good he'd be an multiclass character too.

Back