B5 RPG Newbie

So here I was sitting at work talking to a fellow B5 fan coworker, and he pointed out that "some company was coming out with a new edition of a B5 RPG." I was familiar with Mongoose from DnD/d20 products, and I was vaguely aware that a B5 RPG existed, but never looked into it before.

In any case, here I am! I'll be picking up the core rules soon, and hopefully starting a small scale (1-3 player) game in the near future. Any random advice, suggestions, or links to sites with suggestions are all welcome!
 

El Cid

Mongoose
1. You need to make sure the PCs they play can work together.

2. Get them to help out by giving you character background info. Parents, place of birth, what they did and where they were during important events like the Minbari/human war. Use that info to create your universe around their PCs.

3. Don't let them go wild with Technomages and other unusual classes. Keep it simple.

4. As Ivonava said - "HUMOR"

Have fun.

Sidney
 
El Cid said:
3. Don't let them go wild with Technomages and other unusual classes. Keep it simple.
Technomages are a plot device, not a viable PC choice. The same goes for Shadow Agents, Vorlons, and small furry animals from alpha centauri.
 

lastbesthope

Mongoose
Alone in the Night said:
Technomages are a plot device, not a viable PC choice. The same goes for Shadow Agents, Vorlons, and small furry animals from alpha centauri.

So long as they are real small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri!

:lol:

LBH
 

B5Temple

Mongoose
Alone in the Night said:
El Cid said:
3. Don't let them go wild with Technomages and other unusual classes. Keep it simple.
Technomages are a plot device, not a viable PC choice. The same goes for Shadow Agents, Vorlons, and small furry animals from alpha centauri.
I'm in total agreement. The rabid fanboys always want to play the cool, powerful stuff, but not in this game. It's a better challenge to let them start off as Joe Nobody and work their way up in the Universe. :D

Being a powerful alien or Technomage would take too much fun and awe out of the game.
 

dr-paradox

Mongoose
B5Temple said:
Alone in the Night said:
El Cid said:
3. Don't let them go wild with Technomages and other unusual classes. Keep it simple.
Technomages are a plot device, not a viable PC choice. The same goes for Shadow Agents, Vorlons, and small furry animals from alpha centauri.
I'm in total agreement. The rabid fanboys always want to play the cool, powerful stuff, but not in this game. It's a better challenge to let them start off as Joe Nobody and work their way up in the Universe. :D

Being a powerful alien or Technomage would take too much fun and awe out of the game.

I'm going to opose this.

Played correctly a Technomage is actually a real challenge. Remember even as a chrysalis mage you are bound by the Code. and you don't get any real benifit untill 4th level when you can get shot of the Chyrsalis. by which point getting the implants and not joining the Exodus gets tricky.
 

El Cid

Mongoose
Remember that these folks are newbees to the game.

IMHO

They need to move into the game with PCs who can explore the universe with awe and as players get use to the basic rules.

The teeps rules and Technomage (I do like Technomages as player characters) rules are much more complex. Thus, should be approched after careful study.

Sidney
 
Top