Attack of opportunity entering a threatened area?

Voltumna

Mongoose
From CRPG, the Mobility description says:

From 5th level onwards the barbarian gets a +4 dodge bonus to defense value against attacks of opportunity caused when he moves out of or within a threathened area.

From this I follow that someone entering a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity?

Voltumna said:
From CRPG, the Mobility description says:

From 5th level onwards the barbarian gets a +4 dodge bonus to defense value against attacks of opportunity caused when he moves out of or within a threathened area.

From this I follow that someone entering a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity?

No.

Underlines mine.

Voltumna said:
Then, could we say that characters with movility gain a +4 dodge bonus to all attacks of opportunity?

No, mobility only gives you a dodge-bonus against AoO caused by movement. So, if you performed an AoO-provoking action while in a threatened area (firing a bow, casting a spell etc.), you wouldn't get the bonus.

The important thing is that you provoke an AoO only when you leave a threatened area and never when you enter one. This distinction is important because it makes it possible to, for example, charge an enemy without getting smacked with an AoO. If you move to engage an opponent that has more than a 5' reach you will however provoke an AoO when you leave his outermost threatened square.

Hope that helps.

It's that actions that provoke can count as a Move action while within a threatened area. You only provoke for actual movement when movingout of a threatened square, but standing up from being prone is still Move Equivalent and therefore still moveing within a threatened square potentially.

:wink:

Sutek said:
It's that actions that provoke can count as a Move action while within a threatened area. You only provoke for actual movement when movingout of a threatened square, but standing up from being prone is still Move Equivalent and therefore still moveing within a threatened square potentially.

Hmm.... Are you saying that all actions that count as Move actions are a form of movement and therefore would grant you the dodge-bonus from Mobility?
Not sure I agree, I would say that Mobility gives a bonus only against AoOs provoked by actual movement, and not by all Move actions. Why would Mobility help you when sheating a sword or controling a frightened horse?
The fact that a bunch of actions count as Move actions is to enable you to also perform a Standard action during the same turn, and not that they are a form of movement.

Not that its that big of a deal though, I think you could rule it either way without things becoming to unbalanced.

Voltumna, hope your original question wasn't made even more confused by this discussion. :wink:

I agree with Trodax in that Mobility only works against AoOs provoked by moving, not any move action.

The description states "...against attacks of opportunity caused when he moves out of or within a threathened area."

Although the second part to that ("or within a threatened area") makes it sound like move actions, I feel it means moving from one threatened space to another space threatened by the same character.

Trodax said:
Sutek said:

Hmm.... Are you saying that all actions that count as Move actions are a form of movement and therefore would grant you the dodge-bonus from Mobility?

No, Trodax. That would be retarded.

Voltumna said:
Sutek said:
It's that actions that provoke can count as a Move action while within a threatened area.

The original question and my answer had no mention of mobility. The answer I gave is that (a) move equivalent actions are the ones that typically provoke while in a threatened square and (b) only moving out of a threatened square provokes.

You're clouding the issue with tangential topics and unnecessary inferences. As you eventually point out (unnecessarily), mobility only gives you a dodge-bonus against AoO caused by movement, not move equivalent actions.

Sorry I ever said anything...

Sutek, I must have misunderstood you then.
Sorry about that, I wasn't trying to be an ass or anything, but it really sounded to me like you were talking about how Mobility works and not about AoO in general. Otherwise it just seems (to me) confusing to say that actions that provoke AoO can "count as a Move action" and be "Move Equivalent". Since the description of Mobility does have that ambiguous wording of moving "within a threatened area", I assumed this was what you were referring to.

To explain as simple as possible how AoO are provoked, I wouldn't confuse things by mixing up movement and distracting actions (which can be Standard or Full-Round, as well as Move actions).
Rather, I'd say something like this:

AoO are provoked by:
1) Moving out of a threatened square.
or
2) Performing a distracting action while within a threatened square (this can be a Standard, Move or Full-Round action)

Cool. I'm over it. 8)

Basically, best course of action in Conan:RPG is to allow the AoO when in doubt instead of disallowing it like in D&D. In D&D it's much more rare that you get an AoO but in Conan you get one for just about everything.

Back