Armageddon Minbari Tactics

Locutus9956

Mongoose
Ok as promised and to avoid totall disrailing the shadow thread, heres my thoughts on tactics for the new 'improved' Minbari.

Firstly Stealth HAS been weakened a fair bit now, but conversely the Minbari have reverted to their SFoS stats from the Tourney versions most people were using giving them more hit points and lower threshold values again. Theyre still fragile compared to everyone else but they do still have stealth, even if it is less potent. All things considered I dont actually think theyve actually been weakened alot from their tourney list version. They HAVE been weakened by the change a fair bit if you previously used the SFoS lists only though. That said if you think the SFoS Minbari were fair and balanced I raise my eyebrow at you in surprise and horror....

Now comparing them to the tournament list, if you play in the same manner you are quite frankly going to die horribly against any opponent who knows what hes doing with the stealth rules. Stealth is much weaker than it used to be, I wont even try to dispute this, its clearly true, but the point is that the SFoS list minbari dont NEED it as much if played well. Stealth is not the only advantage the Minbari have.

Now there are basically 8 Ways to reduce/negate an opponents stealth value in ACTA in Armageddon:
1.) Fighters performing scanners to full
2.) Scout lowering stealth
3.) Being a Shadow or Vorlon
4.) Having an HEL tracking system
5.) Fighters within 1" and ingoring it
6.) Being an Ancient and ignoring it
7.) Use emines that ingore stealth
8.) Simply get closer. Stealth is less effective at short range

Now number 3, and 6 theres not really alot you can do to counter other than 'blow up the entire enemy fleet' Simply put Minbari will have a tough time against Vorlons/Shadows and against Ancients are as good as dead (mind you so is just about ANYONE else who tries to take them on)

So then lets look at the other 6.

1.) Fighters on Scanners to Full: Fighters that do this lower your stealth by 1 but it is a fairly tough QC check so will need at least 3 or 4 fighters to give a good chance of succeeding (slightly easier for ISA or Vree but Vree dont tend to have many fighters anyway). They have to get within mini beam anti fighter range to do this but even if you shoot them down afterwards the reduction still stands as it takes effect when they move and lasts for the rest of the turn regardless. The only way to flat out stop them doing it is to move your fighters first and lock them in a dogfight. Thankfully Minbari have not only the best dogfighting fighters in the entire game but also one of the highest initiative bonuses so will be able to do this alot of the time provided they actually HAVE enough fighters.

And therein lies the problem. Nials and Tishats come in gigantic wings of 1 if bought seperately so buying independant fighter wings to defend against this is pretty stupid. Buying Morshins and Sharlins to get lots of fighters for free on the other hand is far from it. So basically counter tactic to 1) is buy a carrier (or even 2 in larger games) It may be whole battle point but its very very worth it. If you can justify the points cost personally sharlins are even betterm being excellent ships in their own right and having lots of fighters.

2.) Scouts Lowering Stealth: Again this is far from as effective as most people seem to think. Even a scout with an above average QC score will still not always succed in pulling this off for starters and most scouts are VERY VERY fragile. If your opponent takes a bunch of scouts this WILL give him a damn good chance of lowering your stealth but personally I find that againt Minbari your better off taking that 1 point of extra difficulty on the roll and have another attack ship or 2 that can attempt it!.

If your opponent DOES field scouts I would advise AGAINST killing them personally as in most cases theyre not the real threat. If someone tries to hit you with a sword and you blunt their sword they can still beat you do death with it, but cut off their arm and then I'd like to see them try ;) Scouts merely make other ships more effective. In almost every game Ive used them or played against them its proven far more effective to kill the ships theyre actually enhancing and thus remve the incoming fire completely than just knocking down the scouts and reducing it a bit.

Also most scouts have stealth of their own so chances are YOU will fail a few rolls and completely waste your firepower on a target that isnt that great a threat in its own right anyway! If you have the sky clear of fighters however DO attack enemy scouts with your fighters. They ignore the stealth at 1" and scouts tend to be very fragile and Nials will rip most to bits. Its worth noting that scouts DO lose their lock if destroyed so if you find the stealth on a big ship thats got lots of enemies boresighted/cafed on it, in that situation it might actually be worth targeting it before the other ships can fire. But normally, use your big guns on more dangerous enemies.

4.) Enemy has an HEL sensor array: At present this means one of two things. a) your oppenent is a Nemesis Advanced Destroyer b) your enemy is a lying cheating git :p. In the case of a) I would suggest laughing at your opponent as the Nemesis is frankly a pile of arse and you can take 2 sharlins for the price of one and will easily demolish it. If you take a Neroon to counter its Armageddonness though the joke will be on you..... in the case of b) the counter tactic is to beat your opponent round the head repeatedly with the rule book until he says sorry :D

5.) Fighters withing 1" Ingore Stealth: With their low hull values Minbari ships are actually very vulnerable to fighter attack. Gerally though theyre not SO fragile that fighers will do take down the larger ships before they can return fire unless they get very lucky. Even still they should be stopped asap.

Consider the following options. Firstly dogfight them with your own fighters (see 1)) secondly consider targeting them from outside of mini beam antifighter range before they make their attack runs. Dont do this at the expense of killing capital ships, but if your opponent fields ALOT of fighters it can be very worth it. Sure they will dodge a lot but you WILL kill some off. Thirdly, jump point bomb them. Some poeple view JP bombing as cheap dirty tactic. I frankly think thats a bit lame, its a perfectly legitimate tactic and its actually quite good at clearing out swarms of fighter (though they CAN still dodge, you will get ALOT of hits and kill many through sheer number of dodges they have to make). It should be noted that whilst I DO think JP bombing is a valid tactic I do personally think that opening a JP and then STAYING in hyperspace or coming in a different point and repeating ad infinitum IS rather lame and cheap. Actually I've just had an idea about that which I will post seperately shortly.

7.) Use Emines There isnt really a direct counter tactic to emines other than avoiding their range/arc or killing the ships carrying them (this IS worth doing if they take fragile emine loaded machines like Dag Kars but not worth doing soley for the porpose of removing emines for tougher targets like BinTaks and G'Quans (they will of course need killing but your probably better off killing the smaller swamry targets like K'Tans etc first to thin out the initiative numbers and reduce incoming fire (and the number of chances to roll stealth) your opponent gets).

When all's said and done its probably more important to take the emines out to defend your fighters though as Emines arent really that big a threat to capital ships (especially not the larger ones (with the exception of ship breaker emines but these don't ignore stealth so should be treated like any other weapon)

8.) Stealth is lessened at short range: The simple answer is of course to stay at long range (Minbari weapons in general are optimised for long range engagements anyway). Ok fair enough. Easier said than done though... First off even SLOW ships in ACTA can usualally get pretty close within a couple of turns on most table sizes from initial deployments. So heres a few tips for keeping the range up. Firstly (and this ones a no brainer) deploy as far back as possible. Secondly dont fly directly at your opponent, your weapons have pretty wide arcs so you can close slowly if you fly diagonally. Alot of Minbari ships have pretty decent aft weaponry so its even worth considering running away and shooting backwards (this is not usually a very good idea though as you do still have ALOT more firepower forwards and theres only so much table ;)). All your ships have advanced jump engines. If the scenario allows you tu use hyperspace do so.

Dont jump into the middle of the enemy though. Use it to bring your reserves on behind the enemy lines prefereably far back from them. Try waiting a couple of turns till the enemy is halfway across the table to the rest of your fleet then jumping in, by the time they turn around and get back to you youll have had AGES to fire at them at long range. If they tunr around imediately they leave the REST of your ships behind them. Even when you cant use hyperspace, split your fleet as much as possible. Force your oppent to engage one half of your fleet or the other, leaving your OTHER half at long range. If you can do this AS WELL as using hyperspace it can be devastating (use hyperspace to reinforce the group your opponent doesnt close on etc).

Lastly try to deploy in parts of the table devoid of terrain, terrain allows your opponent to get in close without taking fire at long range on the way.

Well there you have it. Hope this is of some help to some of you :)

Happy now Seltsam? :p Feel free to debate and dispute any of this of course :)

3.) Being a Shadow or Vorlon or Drakh

Also worth mentioning Vree scouts are very nasty, with their +1 to CQ checks. They only need a 3+ to reduce stealth, and only cost a Patrol point to buy.

Good start there, pretty comprehensive with a few tactics to back it up. In addition to Burger's point, you can get a Refit roll to improve your ability vs Stealth :)

I will try to contribute a little bit to your already excellent summary.

Locutus9956 said:
1.) Fighters on Scanners to Full: Fighters that do this lower your stealth by 1 but it is a fairly tough QC check so will need at least 3 or 4 fighters to give a good chance of succeeding (slightly easier for ISA or Vree but Vree dont tend to have many fighters anyway). They have to get within mini beam anti fighter range to do this but even if you shoot them down afterwards the reduction still stands as it takes effect when they move and lasts for the rest of the turn regardless. The only way to flat out stop them doing it is to move your fighters first and lock them in a dogfight. Thankfully Minbari have not only the best dogfighting fighters in the entire game but also one of the highest initiative bonuses so will be able to do this alot of the time provided they actually HAVE enough fighters.

And therein lies the problem. Nials and Tishats come in gigantic wings of 1 if bought seperately so buying independant fighter wings to defend against this is pretty stupid. Buying Morshins and Sharlins to get lots of fighters for free on the other hand is far from it. So basically counter tactic to 1) is buy a carrier (or even 2 in larger games) It may be whole battle point but its very very worth it. If you can justify the points cost personally sharlins are even betterm being excellent ships in their own right and having lots of fighters.
Depending on your ship choice you are "equipped" with only a fighter per ship or even no at all. Ships with more than 1 fighter and no carrier trait have the problem to a) scramble as fast as possible to get those fighters into the sky b) drop just one or no per turn and use other orders ( APtE, CAF, ... ) to attack the capital ships. If you know you opponents fleet and play style you may consider if it is worth buying fighter support in form of a Morshin or try your best with the fighters given.

Locutus9956 said:
2.) Scouts Lowering Stealth: Again this is far from as effective as most people seem to think. Even a scout with an above average QC score will still not always succed in pulling this off for starters and most scouts are VERY VERY fragile. If your opponent takes a bunch of scouts this WILL give him a damn good chance of lowering your stealth but personally I find that againt Minbari your better off taking that 1 point of extra difficulty on the roll and have another attack ship or 2 that can attempt it!.

If your opponent DOES field scouts I would advise AGAINST killing them personally as in most cases theyre not the real threat. If someone tries to hit you with a sword and you blunt their sword they can still beat you do death with it, but cut off their arm and then I'd like to see them try ;) Scouts merely make other ships more effective. In almost every game Ive used them or played against them its proven far more effective to kill the ships theyre actually enhancing and thus remve the incoming fire completely than just knocking down the scouts and reducing it a bit.

Also most scouts have stealth of their own so chances are YOU will fail a few rolls and completely waste your firepower on a target that isnt that great a threat in its own right anyway! If you have the sky clear of fighters however DO attack enemy scouts with your fighters. They ignore the stealth at 1" and scouts tend to be very fragile and Nials will rip most to bits. Its worth noting that scouts DO lose their lock if destroyed so if you find the stealth on a big ship thats got lots of enemies boresighted/cafed on it, in that situation it might actually be worth targeting it before the other ships can fire. But normally, use your big guns on more dangerous enemies.
The main problem fleets regarding scouts for the Minbari are the ones that get a Scout on low level ( e.g. Patrol = Centauri, Drakh, Vree, ... ) which means more dice to try and more initiative sinks. There is not much you can do against this so you will have to acept this.
Personally i would almost always take 2 or 3 scout for 1 FAP when possible over an additional ship. One positive scout roll will improve all of your ship for stealth and maybe firepower/hits and not only give you one more chance to hit. But this depends on your game style alot.

If your opponent only has 1 high-PL level scout ( e.g raid ) i would consider to give priority to the killing blow for this ship if possible. Loosing this ship will decrease the possibilities of the enemy fleet definitly.

Locutus9956 said:
4.) Enemy has an HEL sensor array: At present this means one of two things. a) your oppenent is a Nemesis Advanced Destroyer b) your enemy is a lying cheating git :p. In the case of a) I would suggest laughing at your opponent as the Nemesis is frankly a pile of arse and you can take 2 sharlins for the price of one and will easily demolish it. If you take a Neroon to counter its Armageddonness though the joke will be on you..... in the case of b) the counter tactic is to beat your opponent round the head repeatedly with the rule book until he says sorry :D
Agree to you on this - including the rule book trash-and-bash-attack :) Taking a Nemesis against Minbari to get the HEL system is a hell of joke ( sorry ). If you consider to take a Neroon except for aesthetic reasons = hit yourself :roll:

Locutus9956 said:
8.) Stealth is lessened at short range: The simple answer is of course to stay at long range (Minbari weapons in general are optimised for long range engagements anyway). Ok fair enough. Easier said than done though... First off even SLOW ships in ACTA can usualally get pretty close within a couple of turns on most table sizes from initial deployments. So heres a few tips for keeping the range up. Firstly (and this ones a no brainer) deploy as far back as possible. Secondly dont fly directly at your opponent, your weapons have pretty wide arcs so you can close slowly if you fly diagonally. Alot of Minbari ships have pretty decent aft weaponry so its even worth considering running away and shooting backwards (this is not usually a very good idea though as you do still have ALOT more firepower forwards and theres only so much table ;)). All your ships have advanced jump engines. If the scenario allows you tu use hyperspace do so.

Dont jump into the middle of the enemy though. Use it to bring your reserves on behind the enemy lines prefereably far back from them. Try waiting a couple of turns till the enemy is halfway across the table to the rest of your fleet then jumping in, by the time they turn around and get back to you youll have had AGES to fire at them at long range. If they tunr around imediately they leave the REST of your ships behind them. Even when you cant use hyperspace, split your fleet as much as possible. Force your oppent to engage one half of your fleet or the other, leaving your OTHER half at long range. If you can do this AS WELL as using hyperspace it can be devastating (use hyperspace to reinforce the group your opponent doesnt close on etc).
Regarding hyperspace reserve :
Always remember the victory conditions for the given scenario and the current situation /damage level of ships for the when and where to enter the battlefield.

You will also have to decide if you will try to ...
a) counter his anti-stealth tatics and mechanisms and by this play to your opponents plan ( re-active style )
b) ignore it, make a plan and stick to it ( more active style )
c) both a little bit

Locutus9956 said:
Happy now Seltsam? :p Feel free to debate and dispute any of this of course :)
Yep, a happy "Doc" here now :D Thanks !

Ok so it's not perfect, but then that's the point of it being a dsicussion thread :) good point about the drakh, though I would add I would suggest the Minbari are actually pretty good vs the drakh in general, precise weapons really sting vs GEGs :twisted:

Vree scouts ARE indeed very good, but they also have very good stealth ratings and their other ships are so fragile that I would suggest that when fighting Vree my point about killing the other non scout ships applies even more so :). For me the real problem fleets for the Minbari are as hinted:

The first ones obviously (by which I mean ALL the first ones, shadows, vorlons and ancients).

The Narns. Emines, though not for their anti stealth ability but rather their ability to sweep all your fighters away leaving your ships vulnerable to being ganked by Frazis.

The Centauri. Long ranged firepower and cheap scouts and fighters that can almaost match you at dogfighting. Basically the Centauri can do almost everything the Minbari can nearly as well as them and tend to have more firepower per ship (and theyre tougher of course, though stealth tends to even things out a bit). All things considered anyway I personally think the Centauri fleet is the strongest in the game aside from the first ones.

Heres my take on fighting the various other races with the Minbari:

Early EA - Ive only ever actually fought against early EA in a test game against the pre S&P 10 sag fleet, so I'm sure you can guess how that went ;). But generally I'd say the Minbari have a fairly easy time here, the EA lack their carrier ships and dont have access to T-Bolts (though furies will do much better against your fighters anyway they are far less of a threat to your ships if they DO win the dogfights). The EA have access to some excellent smaller ships which can be very effective against Minbari but generally speaking they use alot of missiles and standing off to fire them will play into your hands do to stealth ranges, further the ships are generally VERY fragile when they come under your superior weaponry and can be cleared out fast. Oracles are quite cheap but not actually very good scouts and each one the EA player takes is one less sagitarius or Olympus (and thats ALOT of firepower to drop for a scout).

Third Age EA: The main additions here are the Omega and Thunderbolts but you wont be facing any Sags at least. Omega's are actually in my experience stunningly BAD at fighting Minbari: They rely quite heavily on their interceptors for their exceptional toughness and nearly all Minbari weapons ingore this, add to this that their big guns are a long range boresight (and remember ideally minbari should be fought at close range, where boresighting is much trickier and also your likely to fail the initial stealth rolls and not get a few closing shots with your lasers.

Crusade EA: Very tough ships that have weaponry in many cases that rivals your own, though its still boresighted on the bigger toys. Again though the fleet relies VERY heavily on interceptors for defence (my favourite EA ship, the Chronos as tough as it is owes ALOT of its toughness to its 3 interceptors and it dies FAST to minbari fire. Also the crusade list tends to be pretty top heavy so you will often find that you won't be outnumbered for a change! The Delphi is probably the best scout in ACTA but you certainly pay for it! All things considered it has stealth 5 and is little more than a sensor array with engines stuck to it so should DEFINITELY be ingnored till you've destroyed the rest of the enemy (its very fast and has unlimited range too so chances are you will have a hell of a time catching it anyway. All that said, if you do get a shot on it with a weapon that wouldnt be doing anything anyway do take it, as it can only take very few actual hits. Oddly enough despite the fact of them catching up technologically Id say the Crusade list is probably going to have the toughest time out of the EA lists fighting Minbari...

Drazi can be a problem for Minbari due to the sheer number of very tough little ships, lots of ships means lots of stealth rolls and theyre fast too so its hard to hold range against them. They DONT have particularly potent weapons though and are only a signifigant threat in numbers. Also their fighters when tend to be few in numbers and at best passable in dogfighting (they do now have a semi official scout and if these are used they SHOULD be destroyed ASAP. A clever drazi player wont use them against stealth though as his priority, he'll use it to redirect fire. All those warbirds etc are suddenly very scary if they can reroll their boresights....
There is one weapon in the drazi fleet that is genuinely terrifying though, and that is the solar cannon, fortunately they are generally found on only very expensive ships or the solar hawk which can be destroyed by simply LOOKING at it :p

Dilgar are generally quite short ranged, but they can also outrun you by and large so they WILL get there. Most Dilgar dont use many fighters as their gunships are so good but if they DO take lots of fighters you could be in a spot of trouble as their pentacon rule allows them to gang up and possitively EAT enemey fighters in dogfights if theyre careful and they are shockingly fast too. Dilgar ships are quite fragile in general and can be destroyed quite quickly but their smaller ships pack a horrific punch once they get up close. Expect every passed stealth roll to hurt ALOT. Priority targets should be the Tagraths. I cannot overstate how horrible those ships are, kill them and kill them FAST.

Jashakar scouts should also be destroyed given half a chance as not only are they scouts but they are actually well armed in their own right, also theyre VERY tasty targets with low hull and no stealth. This is the one big exception to the 'dont bother killing scouts' idea :p (I should re-emphasise that they are NOT priority targets over Tagraths though, if you can hurt a Tagrath or kill a Jashakar, hurt the Tagrath. In my experience, if you take them down fast you win, if you let them keep firing for long you wont have anything left.

Abbai are as good as dead. They rely FAR too heavily on interceptors to stand up to the Minbari for long and their firepower is almost all short ranged and the ships with alot of it tend to be slow. You will eat them for breakfast if you know anything about playing Minbari :p (and dont even get me started on that THING they have the nerve to call a fighter....)

Brakiri treat them more or less like EA for the most part, slow, tough and with good firpower at range. Their larger ships are VERY VERY tough and pack one hell of a punch but you should be able to win if you play well.

Raiders. Fighters will be very numerous but you should tear them to shreds as yours are all VASTLY superior. Battlewagons are actually VERY nasty little ships but if he takes any of the cheaper ones target them first, they go up like fireworks and will cut back on the initiative sinks rapidly. without the initiative sinks the Battlewagons boresights are FAR less of threat. (prioty targets should be strike carriers, they may not be good ships (they are in fact, awful imho, but they die REALLY quickly) Modified freighters are simply a joke and can be swatted with secondary weapons at will. Dont attack ANY of the raider ships with fighters though unless youre CERTAIN to take them out with their attack as they are all loaded with antifighter guns.

Lastly (I think), the ISA. The ISA may not have their own scouts but if theyre fighting Minbari expect to see vree scout allies.... Now round my way ISA is basically Whitestars, Whitestar IIs, Victories and allies. Noone I know would touch the WS carrier, gunship or fighter with a bargepole as we all HATE the idea with a vengeance. That said there are plenty of people who DONT. So: Whitestar fighters. Kill them. FAST. If they get in and open up on your ships you are gonna really feel it. They are also excellent dogfighters. Consider simply shooting at them with weapons though as they dont actually have a great dodge score for fighters. Dont be tempted to switch over to Tishats as Nials are actually very very good for going after whitestars. Its worth noting that whitestars can actually OUTRUN your fighters but if theyre running away from your fighters you can herd them away from your ships if you play your cards right or place them so that you can jump his ships if he comes in to attack.

If your facing WS fighters theyve probably come from a carrier as only a total nutjob would buy them in wings (well except MAYBE in a patrol level game and even then Id probably take human fighters or a single whitestar and a few T-Bolts). The WS gunship is not worth the cost really. Whitestars and WS-2s are excellent ships but if you score crits on them they can be REALLY screwed over by some crits very quickly (lose weapon arc will totally disarm them and if they get imobilised theyre as good as dead) Don't understimate their toughness though and under-kill them. Adaptive armour is incredibly powerful.

Lastly, the Victory. Ok no two ways about this, the Victory is an incredibly dangerous ship, if your opponent fields one chances are your playing a Big game (which suits the Minbari fine generally) but it will probably serve you better to go after the rest of his fleet first. Simply put the Victory can absorb a hideous amount of fire before dying. By the time you kill it you will have take ALOT of return fire and if youve been focusing on the Vicotyr probably wont have reduced the opponets return fire that much. If he DOES pay loads and field it in a smaller game like a battle level game then DO go after it though, he wont HAVE much of a 'rest of his fleet' (and that can be dealt with with your secondary weaponry at the same time when you get the chance) and if your playing a victory points level game it will be worth an absolute fortune (definitely enough to win you the game outright if you take it out and PROBABLY enough to give you the game if you even cripple/skellie it) Be warned though, as Ive said, its a real monster to take out.

Very good points there with almost all of it being what I think too :)

The only major exception is Abbai - do not write them off so quickly!!! (Alexb83 can attest to this when my Abbai took apart his Minbari fleet). This is because the whole fleet relies on its short ranged weaponry and has the speed to back it up. This has the effect of minimising the effects of Stealth due to both range and the sheer number of Stealth rolls you are making, it's bound to average out (the ships have excellent firepower to make up for the fact it's spread over three arcs). True, they don't generally get their interceptors but importantly they do against Nials and if you've taken any then they also do against Tigaras and Torothas (so basically most of the lower PL Minbari fleet choices). The Kotha isn't generally worth launching if they give away VPs but otherwise they can spam your Nials to stop them shooting for a while and of course, they have so many that they can attempt to lower Stealth scores with relative ease.

Given this matchup is actually a fairly tough one, certain tactics are required for the Minbari. Principally the fleet selection needed is different to many other opponents - Beams, beams and more beams are the order of the day. You will be losing out to massed initiative sinks so you'll just have to live with this and take higher PL ships and stay at range. Take Teshlans over Tigaras, the Leshath can work well and Tinashis and Sharlins both are excellent choices here with good beam power, and all round firepower if needed (the enemy will try and surround you). Fighters are important but only so far as having a few to tie up the enemy Kothas where possible - you won't be doing any damage to the Abbai capital ships with them.

Try and keep your distance. Flying on the diagonal is very good here, and in particular, keep your fleet bunched together to make it as difficult as possible for the enemy to get amongst you and fire with multiple arcs. Take out the smaller Abbai ships first as they are very susceptible to beam weapons and they have proportionally a lot more firepower than the higher PL ships. In low Pl games don't forget to shoot past the enemy ships and come about for a second pass if necessary, you're much faster and although it may take two-three turns to do so, you'll come out on the other side at range and the Patrol and Skirmish PL Abbai ships do not have Aft weapons.

Excellent post.

Locutus9956 said:
8.) Stealth is lessened at short range:
Instead of turning and running to maintain distance, also look at crossing your opponents lines with some of the fleet. As was said, quite often the Minbari pack there ships afts with weapons that would make many other fleets proud to stick on the front of theirs. And an APTE! is sometimes useful to re-open up the distances. A lot of your Warships come with 2/45º turns and a nice chunck of speed, so you can usually turn them faster yet further away then most other races. And your War ships have rear mounted Neutron Lasers.

Locutus9956 said:
Third Age EA: The main additions here are the Omega and Thunderbolts but you wont be facing any Sags at least. Omega's are actually in my experience stunningly BAD at fighting Minbari: They rely quite heavily on their interceptors for their exceptional toughness and nearly all Minbari weapons ingore this, add to this that their big guns are a long range boresight (and remember ideally minbari should be fought at close range, where boresighting is much trickier and also your likely to fail the initial stealth rolls and not get a few closing shots with your lasers.

I would disagree with this, Third Age EA ships if done right and with a willingness could even do the job under SFoS Stealth. Watch when attempting any form of rear assault against the EA especially when they field Omegas. You'd be mad as an EA player not to take some of these at the higher PL levels. They have forward and rear mounted boresights, so they may have to turn a lot less than you expect to bring heavy weapons to bear, Hull 6 and a decent damage track, and some good AD of secondary weapons. They also do not need to bring dedicated carriers to out fighter you (a Morshin/Tinashi choice can be quite a dilemma) and they can afford to 'waste' fighters lowering stealth. Basically the EA player needs a couple of 'suicide squads' of Nova and Artemis to steam-roller ahead with as they simply pack too much firepower at close range to be ignored in favour of the closing Omega's (much like the Abbai).

The problem with Omegas vs the Minbari in my eyes though is that generally speaking youd probably be better off with 2 Novas or a bunch of Olypmus. They may be more fragile but simply put your getting more chances at stealth (especially if you can get between a few ships and split fire. I'm not saying the Omega isn't a good ship, just that its not in my oppinion one of the better buys for fighting Minbari.

In my eyes the Omega has 3 real strengths:

Excellent range - but you want to get close vs Minbari anyway
Excellent fighter compliment - but Novas have just as many for a PL lower
Very tough with hull 6 and 3 interceptors - but interceptors are ignored by most minbari weapons

On the note of interceptors I would say that where Tigaras are concerned Id actually shy away from taking them as much these days. Yes they still have excellent firepower but as noted it IS interceptable and due to its short range Tigaras now really have to be used with a one shot one kill approach holding back until they can either hit an blind spot or be sure to obliterate their targets when they do go in (squadroning them to maximise the effect can be very nasty but of course this means dropping initiative sinks...)

As far as the Abbai go I must admit they are one of the few races I havent ACTUALLY fought with my Minbari, so my comments are largely theoretical being based mainly on having fought abbai with my EA and in that battle they struck me as working rather like Chronos and Novas but not as good. I would still suggest slittign your fleet into two groups though to force them to either slit their fleet or engage one and leave the other at long range (keep them well appart though so as not to allow the abai to use multiple weapon arcs at once (this goes for any ships with lots of fire arcs, abbai, some Brakiri, Novas, Chronos Frigates etc etc)

A combined League fleet can be a big problem for Minbari. Vree scouts, Drazi sturdiness, Brakiri long-range firepower and cheap Kothas for StF can really mess up a bonehead's day.

Ugh, thanks for bringing that up Trig ;)

The Abbai can indeed be very nasty - I would probably say that Trig's fleet at MoW was one of the nastier ones possible in the game, simply because of the sheer volume of ships and fighters. Unfortunately my fleet selection, whilst it did okay against most other opponents at MoW (usually draws or very narrow wins/losses) could not cope. I had 2 Torotha, 1 Tigara, 1 Teshlan and 1 Morshin. The Nials were effectively useless, and the Torothas/Tigara were overwhelmed.

Taking on Abbai is definately a case of relying on Tinashis and Sharlins to pop the ships from extreme range (or indeed 5 Teshlans squadroned up). The Abbai in no.s that big will be so close together that it's prime for overkill and ship explosions.

Teslans have the advantage that you can APTE right through most fleets and leave swarms of the enemy in real disarray.

Locutus9956 said:
The problem with Omegas vs the Minbari in my eyes though is that generally speaking youd probably be better off with 2 Novas or a bunch of Olypmus. They may be more fragile but simply put your getting more chances at stealth (especially if you can get between a few ships and split fire. I'm not saying the Omega isn't a good ship, just that its not in my oppinion one of the better buys for fighting Minbari.

In my eyes the Omega has 3 real strengths:

Excellent range - but you want to get close vs Minbari anyway
Excellent fighter compliment - but Novas have just as many for a PL lower
Very tough with hull 6 and 3 interceptors - but interceptors are ignored by most minbari weapons

I have found Olympus (and Hyperion) just too fragile against Minbari, thier low hull or damage and overloaded amount of weapons makes them too tempting to and too important to ignore for long. Hull 4 is just asking for a Neutron Laser. However they are probably hell on wheels at Patrol/Skirmish level simply because they have that massive amount of firepower. It is just a pity in this instance that Hyperion Rail Cruisers were removed from the 3rd Age lists.

To counter your Omega points,
Better range: You will probably find that even with All Power To Engines! a Nova will be out of range on the first and possibly second turn. Omega can attempt to beat Stealth with those nice long-range, SuperAP, Double Damage, Beams. Omega is also faster than Nova.
Fighters: If you have to All Power To Engines! a Nova, you cannot launch fighters. So while two Novas will carry more fighters, it does not mean they will be able to launch more fighters.
Very Tough: The Hull 6 makes it less likely (though not much) that a Precise, Double Damage, Beam might do something bad with a critical hit. Though you do get the redundancy of a second Nova with that option....

Well the thing with the Novas as well though (and Olympus too) is that if you can sail them into the Minbari fleet and line them up in such a way as to be able to target multiple ships with different arcs you get multiple stealth rolls ;) Now you WILL needless to say be out of range when the omeag would be in but chances are against most Minbari targets your shooting will be at best VERY inefective due to stealth for turn 1 and maybe 2 due to stealth (you wont be in 'close stealth range on turn 1 and possibly 2 depending on speed and chances are you wont be able to get your fighters to work on scanning for at least a couple of turns if the Minbari player has taken enough nials (and remember you cant use scanners when you use afterburners as that constitutes a special order)

Needless to say in a larger game I'd probably take an Omega or two anyway as they ARE useful for firesupport and launching fighters but I would still recommend numerous smaller attack ships where possible.

Now as for Olympus, many people are put off by their fragility and yes if you put only a couple of them in the fleet they are incredibly obvious targets with lots of firepower and very weak defences (especially when their interceptors are down (same goes for Chronos, which have hull 6 but a tiny damage and crew track for a raid choice) The thing is though if you take quite a few of them they suddenly become alot more effective, firstly the massed firepower they can put out is really quite scary (and they can lob some missiles in at long range while closing too though personally I favour outfitting them with heavy missiles to give them a truly horrific short range punch). Also if taken in numbers theyre a much less obvious target, if your opponent focuses fire on one or two he will probably take them out but that wont put THAT much of a dent in the firepower if you have a swarm of 6 or so :) Dont understimate the little guys, they may not look as scary or tough as Omegas and you will take more losses but they can be very VERY effective...

Locutus9956 said:
...I would still recommend numerous smaller attack ships where possible.

Totally agree. However, I just prefer to use an Artemis or Hyperion Rail in this role as opposed to the Olympus. I find that Hull 5 just stands up better to the Fusion Cannon. If your up against a Sharlin, anything smaller then an Omega is likely to die outright from the Neutron Laser anyway.

Back