Are there any plans to release a Grandmaster level book?

Xex

Mongoose
With the book of the magnakai we now have rules for magnakai levels of Disciplines. My question is that does Mongoose have any plans for releasing a sourcebook for Grandmaster level Disciplines? It goes without saying ofcourse, that all classes should get the treatment not just the Kai.

Well... The way I see it, LW was one-of-a-kind when it came to attaining GM status - and he only managed because he had all the Lorestones. For a game that plays off pre-MS5050, where the Lorestones are NOT all in the Monastery, it is unlikely that there would have been GM's around.

I think the Lorestones also explain why people were able to attain GM status after LW, and not before.

I htink it's also game setting. A GM should be able to handle most things alone. So an multiplayer RPG might suffer from too many god-likes.

Zager Krahl said:
Well... The way I see it, LW was one-of-a-kind when it came to attaining GM status - and he only managed because he had all the Lorestones. For a game that plays off pre-MS5050, where the Lorestones are NOT all in the Monastery, it is unlikely that there would have been GM's around.

I think the Lorestones also explain why people were able to attain GM status after LW, and not before.

This is addressed in LW newsletter no 27:
http://www.projectaon.org/en/ReadersHandbook/NewsletterExcerpts

Joe Dever said:
Nb. The time required to 'recharge' the Lorestones (approximately three years) makes it impractical for each member of the New Order to individually acquire their Magnakai Disciplines by simply touching the Lorestones. They have to acquire their skills the hard way--through training, study, and journey-maning.

The only way they attained GM status was because LW could teach it to them, but the lorestones didn't play any role in their individual development.

If you were to play post New Order series then obviously you should be able to play as a GM. However I'm not sure that a Knight of the Realm, Buccaneer of Shadaki or Ice Barbarian of Kalte would really acheive godlike power in the same vein as a GM, making games played with non kai at the GM level rather awkward.

You could probably get a Vakeros, Dessi or brotherhood magician at those levels, they'd simply be using more powerful magic.

I personally wouldn't want to see GM level rules for the more mundane character classes because IMO it would break the setting for the purposes of game balance. A Grand Master has few equals and other classes shouldn't be boosted artificially to those levels just to allow people to play at those levels.

Magnamund doesn't work that way. The only way for GM levels to exist for those other classes is if they created 'prestige' class type things that were things like ' Favoured of Kai' or something that granted those other classes the supernatural powers to compete with a GM.

That or the game just has stagnated non kai/vakeros classes whilst the others keep getting more and more powerful.

Hellebore

Back