Any reviews of Messantia?

I haven't been able to find any reviews of the Messantia boxed set so I was wondering what everyone thought of it. For example, how does it compare with Shadizar and what is the adventure like? Really I'm just looking for any information before I decide whether or not to buy it.

I think there was a very brief review somewhere on this forum stating that the adventure was interesting to read and that there were new classes focusing on nobles.

OK, here's an extremely quick review:

What's inside the box:
  • 96-page full-color book. Softback. It contains information about Messantia and sorrounding areas. Pretty good, sometimes over the top (filling an arena with water for naval battles? wtf?). It focuses on merchant and guild stuff - less slaughter, more politics. Overall: good.
  • 32-page b&w book. Prestige classes, rules for running a debate, feats, spells, bestiary. I find most of the book useless. The feats are designed to be used with the debate rules, which are... well, uninspiring at best. The prestige classes are nothing to talk about, too, so that leaves us with 7 pages of bestiary and spells. Overall: sucks.
  • 32-page b&w book containing an adventure. It's fast and deadly, though I think I'll remove one or two monsters. Overall: good.
  • Map of Messantia. Ugly one.
  • Smaller maps for the adventure. Also ugly.
  • Some nice NPC cards. Nothing special but it's okay.
  • Counters. Again, okay stuff, nothing to be exceptionally proud of ;)

Overall, I'd give Messantia a 6/10. It's not bad, but far from being a must-have.

charin echeis, zeus!

If not somewhere pops an enthusiastic review up, I think I'll go for Black Kingdoms.

Flooded arena: naval arena battles were a special gimmick in the Roman Empire. May look a little bit silly to us, but it is historical.

Zeus said:
OK, here's an extremely quick review:

What's inside the box:
  • 96-page full-color book. Softback. It contains information about Messantia and sorrounding areas. Pretty good, sometimes over the top (filling an arena with water for naval battles? wtf?). It focuses on merchant and guild stuff - less slaughter, more politics. Overall: good.
  • 32-page b&w book. Prestige classes, rules for running a debate, feats, spells, bestiary. I find most of the book useless. The feats are designed to be used with the debate rules, which are... well, uninspiring at best. The prestige classes are nothing to talk about, too, so that leaves us with 7 pages of bestiary and spells. Overall: sucks.
  • 32-page b&w book containing an adventure. It's fast and deadly, though I think I'll remove one or two monsters. Overall: good.
  • Map of Messantia. Ugly one.
  • Smaller maps for the adventure. Also ugly.
  • Some nice NPC cards. Nothing special but it's okay.
  • Counters. Again, okay stuff, nothing to be exceptionally proud of ;)

Overall, I'd give Messantia a 6/10. It's not bad, but far from being a must-have.
Hey thanks Zeus. For what it's worth, the Roman Empire filled arenas with water for mock naval battles, so that sounds like it's just taking from history. Thanks for the rundown on the set.

the box set will be brought sometime but tales was a must buy as for me the coming adventures are as well.found this sometimes with mongoose there small slayer guides were some of the best some of the worst are the bigger ones and the box sets at the moment for me are not up to the higher standards conan can get too but that is only my opinion

Back