Any of you read Conan #28?

Vincent791

Mongoose
This week I bought Conan #28, it celebrates the centenary (birth) of REH (1906-2006) with a special cover. It's a very special issue, not just the cover, the story is a one-shot tale.

Damn, I know it may sound weird, but I have this awful feeling, I don't know how to explain it, sadness, melancholy, it's hard to tell. It's not easy to have this kind of feelings (and specially this strong).

I don't want to spoil you anything, but I'd like to know if any of you read this issue.

I just got issue # 28 the other day, and I agree with you, it is really good. This new Conan comic by Dark Horse has been fantastic from the beginning. Anybody out there that enjoys the Conan RPG and the original Howard stories, should be checking this out - even if they aren't into comics. The stories have a Howard feel to them and have adapted some of his earlier stories. The comics have a mature theme (definately not for kids!)to them and the art is top notch.

I dunno why, but I was kinda disappointed with that issue. For some reason, it didn't strike me as very Howard-esque.

The thing about this issue is that it's also the last issue from Kurt Busiek (writer), he had a fantastic run with this book.

This is a review from IGN.com:

"This sad one-shot is Busiek's final story in the Conan monthly for a while. Rather than going out with a bang, or a multiple-part, epic tale, Busiek instead offers a story where Conan is merely a peripheral character. There is a wonderful parallel between Conan, the greatest hero, and Rovann, a wannabe who's never shown an ounce of courage in his life. The star this issue is actually Powell, who infuses a big of the Goon's face into Conan, making for a more brutish warrior. If you've never read Busiek's Conan, you can pick this up and get right into it with no problem. The real treat will be seeing what Mignola has to offer up next month."

It's not my favorite Busiek-Conan story, but it's a very interesting one, and as I said, the end is shocking.

I really liked this tribute to Robert E. Howard and the stellar art by Eric Powell. Really hit home that Kurt will be leaving the title - he will be missed. He really treated Howard and Conan with a huge amount of respect and that really came thru in his tales. I sure hope Eric finds the time to do another Conan issue that features Conan more. I liked the nuggets of REH insider info throughout the story like the Dark Valley reference and the shadow boxing, wulfhere and even the crippled father reference referring perhaps to REH father's inability to emotionally relate to his gifted son. I'll have to read it again - I'm sure there are more. Altogether a great tribute by one of the best comic writers this generation has.

Back