Always Multi-Class?

Another multi-class question.

Let's say a 1st level Barbarian, when he gains enough XP to go up a level, selects Borderer as his new multi-class. Now, he's a 2nd level character: Barbarian 1/Borderer 1.

When he gains enough XP to make it to a 3rd level character, how does he chose which class is increased to the next level? Is this just player's choice?

So, a Barbarian 1/Borderer 1, who gains a level, can become a Barbarian 2/Borderer 1, or he can become a Barbarian 1/Borderer 2.

Is that correct?

Yes. Though he could also add a third class if he wanted to. Not that this would be terribly clever.

The player just decides what class to advance at the point of levelup. Very simple.

kintire said:
In theory you could take a level of every class in the game.

I think I read something about circumstance, training, and GM approval, though. For example, it might be very easy to be a Barbarian 1 and then multiclass into a Barbarian 1/Thief 1 once you level up. The the reverse might be hard to do--because it's not easy to become a Barbarian. You don't just decide one day to do that. You've got to go live among them, learn their ways, etc.

To a lesser degree, I guess the same could be said for being a Thief, too, I guess.

I want to make sure I've got this multi-classing thing down, so here's another question. Pardon if its stupid.

Let's say I've got a Barbarian 1 character and I decide to multiclass into a Thief when I gain a level, to be a Barbarian 1/Thief 1.

I would use the Thief hit dice to roll my new hit points, right? Not the better of the two classes. Correct? So, my hit points would go up by a d8 (instead of a d10).

And, what about skills? I get a number of points equal to the Thief class. I'd get 8 + INT mod skill points. Right?

How do I spend those points? Is every class skill for the Thief and Barbarian now open to me? Or, can I only look at the Thief class skills?

For example, I now have Survival as a class skill no matter if I just levelved as a Thief or a Barbarian. Right?

Your first two assumptions are correct, but you are mistaken on the third one:

For example, I now have Survival as a class skill no matter if I just levelved as a Thief or a Barbarian. Right?

- you can purchase only the skills on the currently advanced class' skill list. In your example, if you have a Barbarian 1 and now add a Thief level, Survival is not a class skill for this levelup.
However, remember the rule that you can buy any skill as class skill with your INT bonus skill points.

Also later on, if you have, say, a Barb 1 / Thief 1, and get another levelup, and decide to add another Barb level for Barb 2 / Thief 1, you get the D10 hit die of the Barb, the 4+INT skill points of the Barb, and with the 4 base skill points you have to use the Barb's class skill list, but can buy any skill with your Int points.

Does that clear up everything?

Clovenhoof said:
Does that clear up everything?

All except the official character sheet. It's in the back of the 2E rule book. There are check boxes next to all skills--check it if it's a cross class skill.

Multi-classing makes this check box system useless, because the checks may change depending one what class is being advanced (according to what you just said).

The reason I said what I said, about Survival being a class skill for a Barbarian 1/Thief 1 multiclass is that's the only way the check boxes on the character sheet make sense. I was thinking that a reason for multiclassing is to have skills open as class skills from two or more classes.

If what you say is true (I'm not doubting you), then why are the check boxes on the back of the character sheet that way? Are we expected to change them every level?

Supplement Four said:
Are we expected to change them every level?

Pretty much, yeah. Not the best thought out design element on the ol' character sheet. :roll: Slightly less annoying with a form-fillable PDF version, though.

Actually I think I once had a character sheet, possibly for D&D though, that had three columns of class skill check boxes.

Nialldubh said:
I just tick the boxes, but id Thief, I type a small 'T' beside it, if Barbarian, obviously a 'B' and if both Classes can use it a 'B/T'.

Not a bad idea. I may just have the players erase them and re-check them if they multi-class. It seems you need to see the boxes when you're buying skills anyway.

As complete as the 2E Conan book is, I'm learning that some familiarity is needed with D&D 3.5. Having never played 3.0 or 3.5, some things, like this multiclassing stuff, isn't exactly spelled out in the rule book (but, I understand that it is spelled out in the D&D PHB).

But only thing that is important is that because they are gathering experiance in one Class as they go up level, they could not for example learn survival if they train in their Thief skills/abilities.

Yes. The official rule makes sense. I like it.

Back