Alternate SRD

Lord Twig

Mongoose
I was going to wait a little longer before posting this, it is a work in progress, but I feel it is needed.

I present an Alternate SRD

http://www.cyberkeep.org/ltrsrd/ltrsrd.html

I have changed Combat heavily, changed magic and use of runes quite a bit, modified skills somewhat and added a little to the Improving Adventurers.

Lots more still to do. No section will be left untouched. I would love to hear feedback.

The SRD from Mongoose is open content, so I don't believe that I am stepping out of line with this, but my knowledge of legal matters is near non-existent. If you have advise to bring things into legal compliance I would be happy to hear those as well.

Thanks!

I started to look through these... is there any chance you could summarize (more explicitly) what you've changed so I know what parts to look closely at?

Thanks,

Al

Skills
Halving rule is gone. Instead if at least one of the skills is over 100, subtract 100 from that skill. The remainder is subtracted from both skills. So one skill will be at 100% and the other will be less than that.

Armor only subtracts 1/2 armor points from Dex skills and does not effect weapon or throw skill.

Combat
You state your reaction to an attack before knowing the success or failure. Dodge and Parry tables have been expanded to include Fumbles.

Removed the ignore armor option from Precise attack.

Critical hits now reduce armor points by 1/2 rounded down. Plus impaling weapons do max weapon damage plus rolled damage bonus and bludgeon/slashing weapons do rolled weapon damage plus max damage bonus.

Yanking an impaled weapon only does 1D4 damage regardless of weapon or success or failure.

Wounds have been modified. It is more deadly. Losing limbs is more severe. If you take double your hit points to your head, chest or abdomen you have one combat round to be healed before you die. None of this fighting headless for minutes because your Resilience is 200%.

Magic
Changed Hand of Death and Skybolt to be legendary spells (requiring the Legendary Spell ability). Changed Skybolt to rune Air and is now Magnitude 6.

Spells no longer require integrated runes to cast if they are 4 Magnitude or less. Just a rune inscription.

You do not need to hold a rune to cast, just see it or an inscription.

Added Fumble spell for the Chaos rune.

Improving Adventurers
Just has the Legendary Spell ability added so far.

Lord Twig said:
Combat
You state your reaction to an attack before knowing the success or failure. Dodge and Parry tables have been expanded to include Fumbles.

I like those.

Lord Twig said:
Yanking an impaled weapon only does 1D4 damage regardless of weapon or success or failure.

Any limit to how much damage you can induce doing this?

Lord Twig said:
Wounds have been modified. It is more deadly. Losing limbs is more severe. If you take double your hit points to your head, chest or abdomen you have one combat round to be healed before you die. None of this fighting headless for minutes because your Resilience is 200%.

Very good! Gets back some of the spirit of old RQ!

SGL.

Lord Twig said:
Combat
You state your reaction to an attack before knowing the success or failure.

But does the reaction count toward the number of reactions in the turn if the attack missed ?
Or did you change the attack table so that a missed attack vs a succesful parry is not a hit anymore and the only outcome is a possible riposte in case of a failure vs crit ?

I don't feel the need for this. Perhaps change it to a simple halving of the armor's value or a -10% per AP reduction.

Other than that, your rules sounds like natural fixes to MRQ to me.

Trifletraxor said:
Lord Twig said:

Any limit to how much damage you can induce doing this?

Doh! I was still thinking that you could only do damage to a location equal to double the location HP, like in previous versions, but now that I look, that rule is not there. I will have to add it. So once the limb is mangled/severed, you can't damage it any further.

Mugen said:
Lord Twig said:
Combat

But does the reaction count toward the number of reactions in the turn if the attack missed ?
Or did you change the attack table so that a missed attack vs a succesful parry is not a hit anymore and the only outcome is a possible riposte in case of a failure vs crit ?

It does count toward the number of reactions and the table has been changed so that a fail/fail is a failed attack.

Mugen said:
Lord Twig said:

I don't feel the need for this. Perhaps change it to a simple halving of the armor's value or a -10% per AP reduction.

I guess I just don't like it. :) You suggestion of making the penalty -10% per AP is good, but what if you hit someone with plate on the chest and leather on the legs? Do you subtract the penalty after you determine where you would hit? I guess that would work.

Mugen said:
Other than that, your rules sounds like natural fixes to MRQ to me.

Thanks!

I think it might make sense to have different degrees of success for precise attacks... so x1/2 skill (or -40% if you prefer) to pick location, then - 10% per AP to bypass armor in that location.

algauble said:
I think it might make sense to have different degrees of success for precise attacks... so x1/2 skill (or -40% if you prefer) to pick location, then - 10% per AP to bypass armor in that location.

That's a good idea too. Lots of good ideas. I am keeping the KISS rule in mind though. Precise attack ignoring armor was a problem. The absolute simplest option was to just remove it altogether.

Page won't load so going by what's down here
Lord Twig said:
Skills
Halving rule is gone. Instead if at least one of the skills is over 100, subtract 100 from that skill. The remainder is subtracted from both skills. So one skill will be at 100% and the other will be less than that.

That's confusingly written but I assume that you mean if someone is 125% and the other is 70% then you subtract 25% from both skills. Seems reasonable but it does mean that you get the bad thing of of say 127% vs 63%. Doing that on the fly leads to brain ache. Also do you do this after all other modifers, halving, etc or not?

Combat
really bad idea. You're forcing people to blow reactions before they know whether they have too simply to bring the slight chance of overextended results into play. I would say, if you want the top line, allow people the option to react to failed attacks with dodge/parry if they want to.

Good move.

Most of the rest I don't have strong opinions on. Not necessarily how I would do things but that's a matter of preference.

Back