Aliens of charted space vol 1 typos.

Tupper

Banded Mongoose
Thought I'd start a topic for typos in the new pdf.

1. Zhodani career summary (page 255) seems to have three careers from Aslan tacked on the end (Outcast, Outlaw, Wanderer).

2. Vargr Corsair page 186 and Vargr Emissary show "Commissioner" and "+1 SOC" as a second rank 6 row. The same problem occurs on page 188 for Arbitrator and Diplomat. These should be deleted (they seem to be the last row from "agent" in the core rulebook).

3. Aslan Battle Dress (page 47) has Rad 2650. Should probably be 265.

4. Pretty much all the ship entries have an odd "(Type-S)" next to them. This looks like a filler for a letter code for the ship. The Dazhia-class council corvette has "Plankwell-class". My guess is that these should have an "X" in them to conform with "Ships of the Reach" treatment of Aslan ships.

[Edit: realised that the last row for pages 186 and 188 are erroneous]

The Claustrophobia trait attached to the K'kree needs modifiers, or it negates their interstellar state.

1. K’kree with SOC 10 aren’t identified as either merchants or nobles. I suggest Merchants be SOC 7-10, since otherwise levels of nobility need to shuffle. This needs fixing on page 125 (table) and 134, Merchant page.

2. Page 127, the table allows Merchants to be assigned to “service” on a roll of 1. Suggested fix: give servant caste a modifier if -1. Make 0-3 service, 4-6 warrior (but see below for an alternative).

3. Page 132, servants have skills for technical/scientific, which they cannot be assigned to. Delete these skills OR, amend flavour text for caste, and change table on page 127 to read 1-3 service, 4 technical/scientific (no need for -1 penalty on table for servants with this option).

1. Page 190, skills and training columns should be called "Enforcer", "Investigator", and "Security" (not "Law enforcement", "Intelligence", and "Corporate" as they currently read.

2. Page 196, ranks and bonuses columns should be called "Junk Dealer Skill or Benefit", "Scrounger Skill or Benefit", and "Free Trader Skill or Benefit" (the current column headings are for the Marine assignments).

1. Page 109, I think should read "There is little leeway for those who cannot do this due to circumstances and an unmarried female eventually becomes casteless and is driven out of her family." (at present it reads "There is a little leeway...", which seems to contradict the second half of the sentence)

2. Pages 122-123, the date for the truce with the Hivers is given as -2103 on page 122 and -2013 on page 123.

3. Page 125, Patriarchy difficulties should read "Simple (2+)" and "Easy (4+)" (rather than "+2" and "+4").

4. K'Kree careers. It's unclear how a K'Kree could get +1 on mustering out benefits (they have no ranks), so either criteria should be given or the 7 row should be deleted.

5. Page 149. There seem to be two (almost) repeated paragraphs each starting "The standard skimmer..." One should be deleted. Also, agility should just be "+1".

6. Page 150. The top right stat block seems to be off by a row in the right column. "2000(3000)" should be beside "Range (Cruise)" with all the other numbers in the right column pushed down one row. Also, agility should just be "+1".

7. Page 151. The top left stat block seems to be all at sea. Skill should be "Flyer (Grav)". I think agility should be -1 since it's a heavy grav vehicle. Speed should be "High (Medium)". Range should be "2000 (3000)". Passengers should be 10. Cargo is presumably 2.5 tons (since jettisoning 10 K'Kree @ 5 spaces * 0.25 tonnes brings it up to 15 tonnes). Hull should be 120.

Page 156, Electromagnetic Environment Protection: "each of that" should be "each of which".

Page 178, "trial an error" should be "trial and error".

Page 183, "but they becomes an Enemy" reads a bit off. I would say "but he/she becomes an Enemy".

Page 211, Armour sets.

Kforzhazuk should weigh 3.5kg (1.5 kg for bracers, 2kg for shoulder guards)
Kforzgong should weigh 3.5kg (1.5kg for bracers, 2kg for charging boots)
Vhezkforz should have base armour +2. The +20 (ablative) is correct.
Zuurku-Azuk should have armour +7 (+1 for bracers, +6 for vest). It should weigh 7.5kg (1.5kg for bracers, 6kg for vest)
Zuurku-Ekdho should weight 9.5kg (8kg heavy vest, 1.5kg bracers).
Zurrku-Oengga should have armour +10 (+1 for bracers, +8 for heavy vest, +1 for fighting boots). The (+6 special for arm shield) is correct. It should weigh 14kg (1.5kg for bracers, 8kg for heavy vest, 1.5kg for fighting boots, 3kg for arm shield).
Vhezk-Zurrku should have armour +11 (+1 for bracers, +8 for heavy vest, +2 for light armoured jacket). It should weigh 11.5kg (1.5 kg bracers, 8kg heavy vest, 2kg light jacket)
Kungedz-Udhvarr should have armour +6 (+2 for shoulder guards, +2 for charging boots, +2 for one bracer/one arm guard). The (+6 special for shield) is correct. It should weight 9.75kg (2kg shoulder guards, 2kg charging boots, 2.75kg bracer/arm guard, 3kg shield)
Kungedz-Dhagu should have armour +7 or +9 (+4 for breastplate, +1 for bracers, +2 for charging boots), depending on whether the ballistic cloth jacket conveys 0 armour or +2. It should weigh 7.5kg or 9.5kg (depending on whether the cloth jacket is 0 or +2).
Kungedz-Verz should have armour +14 or +16 (+8 for heavy vest, +3 for stomping boots, +3 for arm guards) depending on whether the heavy ballistic coverall is 0 or +2. The (+4 vs fire, energy, and lasers) is correct. It should weigh 16 or 18kg (8kg heavy vest, 4kg arm guards, 4kg stomping boots, maybe +2kg coverall).

Page 221, Clawtip plasma tank "Range (Cruise)" is 100 years; needs to be a distance.

Page 223, "others else with lower CHA" should read "others with lower CHA". "on a 1-4 they not" should read "on a 1-4 they do not".

Page 254, Draft table should reand 1-3 (not "-3" as at present).

Page 246, "... will be expected to live up to his title; if they do so ..." should probably read "... will be expected to live up to his title; if he does so ..."

Page 248, "they do require no great intellect" should read "they do not require great intellect" or "they require no great intellect".

Page 250, there is a very abrupt change of topic here, so maybe there should be a heading "Zhof" or "Example of a Zhodani Soldier" or something like this.

Page 275, under pensions should read "Nobles receive double the amount listed" (instead of "Nobles receive double the amount received).

Page 277, Psychic Transfer has some extraneous information in italics (looks like an old version of the ability's stats), this should be deleted.

Page 278, "other races using Zhodani equipment may have a different" needs a word to finish the phrase. I suggest "experience".

Page 288, "... it mounts the same weaponry of *a* gauss cannon ..."

Page 290, the diagram of the Silent Grasp's gun fire arcs seem to have the weapons for the Princely Lord.

Page 291, the Qiknavra's fire arcs suggest that its gauss cannon is not turret mounted. It should be able to fire in any direction.

Page 298, "Individuals and small trading companies are the most prolific operators *of* Zdebr-class traders"

Page 6, there should be a comma before "settling disputes between prides".

Page 11 should either read "took a hundred wounds" or "took 100 wounds".

Page 15, "Aslan lord could roll Diplomat and add the TER DM instead" ("use" removed).

Page 18, "He gains 1D Clan shares" should probably read "You gain 1D Clan shares"

Page 44, Corporation has some odd numbers: MCr500000 is *a lot* of assets (it was MCr5 in Pirates of Drinax). The 1D-5 gross profit means that most years the corporation loses money (Drinax has 1D% gross profit). In any case, "Gross profit" should really be "Net profit" (gross profit doesn't remove expenses).

Page 49, "and *are* roughly equivalent to human plate"

Page 57, "and *complete* technical and engineering toolkits"

Page 59, Tail implant repeats the text from Prehensile tail (correct text can be found in Pirates of Drinax).

Page 63, in the heading "Tao" shouldn't be italicised.

Page 66, Cruise speed should be (Medium). "Range (Cruise)" is missing (currently listed as 100 years).

Page 69, Shouldn't the executive officer be female?

Page 72, "adept males *to* operate it"

Page 76, there should be commas before "which" and after "capacity".

Page 23, Ceremonial, bonuses listed are for management career.

Page 27, Management, bonuses listed are for ceremonial career (i.e. management and ceremonial rank bonuses have been swapped).

Page 29, Military, "WARRI-OR" doesn't need a hyphen. Rank 3 bonus should read "END +1"

Page 31, Military officer, "OF-FICER" doesn't need a hyphen.

Page 33, Scholar, "com-plete" doesn't need a hyphen.

Page 39, Outcast, "Commander" should read "Rank" for column heading.

Page 137, Noble mishap 4. I don't know what to do if someone is "ejected from this career and cannot begin another"? Should that read "must begin another"?

Page 187, Corsair event 12, "+CHA +1" should read "CHA +1"

Page 259, Army mishap 4, "and gain *him* as an Ally", reference to page XX should refer to page 274. Also, earning a commission makes a character rank 1, so I don't see how one can achieve rank 0 as an officer (it works for Aslan since they have officers as a separate career for military/space).

Page 261, Entertainer mishap 5, should read "You *gain* D3 contacts as *you* return home."

Page 265, Guard event 5, should read "qualify" instead of "qualifies". Guard has the same oddity as Army in that there is a rank 0 officer.

Page 269, Navy, has the unusual rank 0 officer.

Page 271, Prole events seem to have been copied from the core book agent, and don't really make sense for proles. I suggest that they be replaced with the events from Citizen in the core book.

Bump.

Also a thought on the Aslan corporation issue (page 44):

"Page 44, Corporation has some odd numbers: MCr500000 is *a lot* of assets (it was MCr5 in Pirates of Drinax). The 1D-5 gross profit means that most years the corporation loses money (Drinax has 1D% gross profit). In any case, "Gross profit" should really be "Net profit" (gross profit doesn't remove expenses)."

I'd suggest that the corporation have Cr500,000 in assets and the net profit be 2D-5%. That way the firm will (to start with) earn Cr10,000 per year on average, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Tupper said:
Bump.

Also a thought on the Aslan corporation issue (page 44):

"Page 44, Corporation has some odd numbers: MCr500000 is *a lot* of assets (it was MCr5 in Pirates of Drinax). The 1D-5 gross profit means that most years the corporation loses money (Drinax has 1D% gross profit). In any case, "Gross profit" should really be "Net profit" (gross profit doesn't remove expenses)."

I'd suggest that the corporation have Cr500,000 in assets and the net profit be 2D-5%. That way the firm will (to start with) earn Cr10,000 per year on average, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Just rediscovered this egregious amount of money. Five hundred billion dollars per clan share is too much.
And it should be made to match what found in Pirates of Drinax Book 2.

@agentwiggles I had a go at collecting character generation errata here:

https://www.travellerrpg.com/index.php?threads/alien-errata.42409/

Tupper said:
@agentwiggles I had a go at collecting character generation errata here:

https://www.travellerrpg.com/index.php?threads/alien-errata.42409/
Any chance of making the errata available from somewhere where I don't have to login to access your PDF?

Thank you :)

Any chance of making the errata available from somewhere where I don't have to login to access your PDF?

Thank you :)

Not sure where I could put it… this forum doesn’t seem to support attachments, which is why I used CotI.

Maybe you could pm me and I could email it to you?

Tupper said:
Not sure where I could put it… this forum doesn’t seem to support attachments, which is why I used CotI.

Maybe you could pm me and I could email it to you?

PM sent... hope you got it OK. The User Control Panel saved the message under "Outbox" after I sent it. Not sure if I should do something else.

And since we're discussing 'Shit that's wrong /stupid in Aliens 1'...

- Lose the anthropomorphic equipment. Because the Bark-Cannon 5000 on pg. 216 and 217 is insulting stupid.
- Same thing with the Aslan Kitty-Crawler [now with catnip air freshener!] on pg. 65.
- I'm also not a fan of Jubba the Aslan Hutt's floating pleasure palace on pg. 67.
I don't know who approved the purchase of this artwork, but by that person's logic, since 'dogs' and 'cats' have to have doggy and kitty gear, every human vacc suit should have room for our monkey tails and a spare thumb in the boots to brachiate with. Seriously guys, you're publishing 'Aliens' to give Traveller fans workable alien cultures to work with. If WE'RE supposed to take them seriously, how about YOU take them serious enough to knock off with the Hello Kitty cartoon bullshit. Frankly, I've seen better alien equipment in Hanna-Barbera cartoons.

The Vargr subspecies Nakagun; it says they live in exile in the Nakagun sector. For the life of me I can’t find the Nakagun sector.

Back