(Ahem) Rulebook Update

If you adopt the 40% of your opponents rating, how would you score multiplayer group games, Chaoschild? We tend to play a lot of those around here. Would everyone get 40% of the highest, while the highest would get 40% of what?

-Ken

Depends whether you mean multi-player with more than one player on each side or a multi-player free-for-all.

If there's 2 sides with more than one player on one or more sides then each side gets credits equal to 40% of the opposing side's total cost, this is then split equally between the allied forces.

If it's a free-for-all then each force gets 40% of the largest individual force that they're facing. So the largest force would get 40% of the second-largest's cost while everyone else would get 40% of the largest's cost.

At least that's how I'm planning on running things. I'm open to suggestions.

That's sort of what I was thinking. After all, you're not going to loot from the smallest gang if you're the biggest gang.

-Ken

What if you're the one with the highest gang rating and your opponent adds Mercs. Should you get 40% of the Pre or Post Merc value?

IMO, It should be 40% of whatever value you start the game with.

chaoschild said:
One rule that I'm considering for the campaign I'll be running soon is a change to the way credits are earned. Instead of both sides earning credits equal to 40% of the largest force, I was going to change it to 40% of the opposing force (not including any added mercenaries). My reasoning was:

1: If the bigger gang gets 40% of their own value each time without having to spend any of it on mercenaries then they're just going to get even bigger.
2: For the more criminally-minded gangs, the credits represent (to me at least) the cash they can extort from whatever resources they have available. They're going to be able to extort more if they've just done over a larger target.
3: Same for the Justice Department, they'll have more pull when it comes to budgeting if they're tackling larger threats.

I don't know what anyone else thinks of this, but I've run plenty of campaigns where the big gangs just get bigger and I'm anxious to prevent the same happening here.

<Emphasis Mine>

For the sake of argument, Chaoschild and Winged Human, why do you feel your varied position is the proper one?

-Ken

If you take 40% of the value, including mercenaries, then you've basically got the same situation you have at the moment. The bigger force is effectively getting 40% of their own value (or as near as makes no difference) assuming that the smaller force spends close to their full allowance on mercenaries.

My main concern in this whole thing has been game balance. I've just come off playing a long Necromunda campaign that wound up imploding because so many players dropped out because they just couldn't keep up with the leading gangs. We saw the bigger gangs (mine included) getting bigger and the smaller gangs getting trampled, to the extent where the games were just no fun for anyone involved. There has to be some way to stop the biggest forces from just growing unchecked, and limiting the credits earned like this seems to be the most straightforward and logical way of doing it but it will only work if mercenaries aren't included in the totals.

Plus, it works from a fluff point of view as well. I don't see the forces earning credits directly from the result of the fight, but rather from the increased renown that they get as a result of the victory. If everybody knows that the gang from Julian Clary block are pushovers then you're not going to get much added street cred from doing them over, no matter how many extra guns they've brought in for the fight.

Seems like a well thought out argument, Chaoschild, and one I think I agree with. I'm anxious to hear Winged Human's thoughts, though, as I know he tends to play from the point of the "bigger" gang.

I've had some problems with that, too, with my Lone Vigilante. At some point, I out-levelled all the other gangs and he was almost unstoppable, so, sometimes, it's not fun being the top-dog, especially when I just keep being the top dog (baring any poor injury roles, of course).

-Ken

The problem with the larger gang taking 40% of the lower gang's rating minus mercenaries puts the higher gang at a double disadvantage.

Firstly, levels only increase a hero's value by 25pts. This in and of itself is a major problem. Since in a zombie gang, one zombie = 1 level +5 credits. And we ALL know that one level on ANY hero will make more of a difference than ANY minion will.

Secondly, The larger gang not only is putting more of his gang in harms way, but to also allow his opponent to take "free mercenaries" that won't need to be paid if they die during the match, while forcing the larger opponent to take a MUCH smaller payout IMO it makes a double whammy.

Let's take an example shall we?

Gang A is worth 1000 credits, Gang B is worth 500 credits. Before the game starts Gang B will buy 500 pts of Mercenaries. Now during the match both Gangs suffer the same amount of wounds. So Gang A loses 500 credits worth of his gang, and Gang B loses 500 credits (all mercenaries).

Now post game Gang A only has 500 credits worth of a gang and only 200 credits to replenish. While Gang B is still at full strength and has 400 Credits to add onto his gang.

Now, Let's run it with my scenario.

Same gangs and points values, same outcome of the gang. But now both gangs are at 500credits with 400 credits to replenish/upgrade.

Now, all that being said, when this new book comes out I may change my mind as there will be alot of other factors that will balance out the other aspects of the game.

Is that in the fairly extreme situation you outline this would indeed be a problem.

However - wounds taken in a game are not auto kills?
Is it not more likely both sides will suffer cassulties to their actual members?

However if Gang B plays well enough that he manages to not suffer even a single wound on his gang proper but still wipes out half of his opposition then perhaps the rewards are about right?

Also he deserves kudos for making sure every single merc he has employed gets killed so he does not have to pay them - once you factor in that some are likely to survive then player B's profit becomes much smaller if anything?

I've got to agree with Da Boss. Even if force A was wiped out on the tabletop, on average they'd lose 30% of their minions and wouldn't necessarily lose any of their heroes (depending on injury rolls, the damage caused on the final hits etc). I'd estimate that the total cost to rebuild the force would be about 250-300 creds, they'd have 200 creds to rebuild and frankly losing 100 creds overall seems like a fair punishment for being tactically inept and/or stubborn enough to get yourself wiped out like that.

Winged_Human said:
The problem with the larger gang taking 40% of the lower gang's rating minus mercenaries puts the higher gang at a double disadvantage.

This is a factor to consider.

However, having given this a great deal of thought, I think we will come down on the side of the smaller forces - with the idea that the larger forces are big enough and ugly enough to look after themselves!

We will implement this idea of 40% of your opponent's force, pre-mercenaries.

Greg Smith said:
Something else that occured to me: if you have a med judge as a mercenary, does he get to use his Medic talent after the battle, or does he just disappear immediately after the battle has finished?

He gets to use it - now clarified in the rulebook.

WereRogue said:
1 clarification question, first. When starting a campaign force, do left over credits from Gang Creation carry over into the gang's available credits?

You do - now clarified in the rulebook.

WereRogue said:
Finally, back to the Lone Vigilante: given the "goals" listed above including "repairing" your heroes when they get hurt, can the Lone Vigilante still buy replacement cyberware (I'm excluding the Advanced replacements, of course) even though they're not in his initial build out?

-Ken

He can (even the advanced stuff, so long as it is to offset an injury) - now clarified in the rulebook.

Some good points about robots and Will based talents were raised on another thread.

To summarise: robots with stealth talents are super stealthy, because they always win Will rolls. Does the rule change from block war apply - the fluff part of the wording seems to indicate it is for spotting not sneaking.

Robots always escape from combat with Hit & Run.
Robots with Surgeon always succeed.
If a robot has Die Harder it is immortal - although it has a number of useless talents along the way.
A Robot is immune to Punisher double pistol effects.
A robot will never be knocked down by a Shield Bash.

As a further point: how does will work with robot mercenaries? The 'You'll never take us alive human' rule applies to Renegade Robots, but not to robot mercenaries who have no will score.

Another thing I am not totally clear about is about Judges and Arrest checks?

A number of models are immune to this - but does the Judge still have to attempt the roll before he guns them down. I assume not but it does not actually say they don't have to proceed with the attempt?

Da Boss said:

A number of models are immune to this - but does the Judge still have to attempt the roll before he guns them down. I assume not but it does not actually say they don't have to proceed with the attempt?
Rulebook said:
Heroes will automatically succeed in resisting arrest, but judges must still make the attempt. They do not have to arrest robots or zombies, and may open fire immediatly.
So yes, Judges still need to make an arrest check even if the player knows that the target will automatically pass the test.

This rule could do with a little extra clarification though, possibly in Block War to highlight other targets that do not need to be arrested. Right now Judges have to arrest demonic entities, and may actually succeed. :twisted:

Greg Smith said:
Some good points about robots and Will based talents were raised on another thread.

To summarise: robots with stealth talents are super stealthy, because they always win Will rolls. Does the rule change from block war apply - the fluff part of the wording seems to indicate it is for spotting not sneaking.
Block War said:
The ‘You’ll Never Take us Alive, Human!’ rule states that robots automatically pass any Will check. This is still true except in the case of Talents in the Sneaky Does It Talent tree. In such cases, robots are assumed to have a Will score equal to their total cost in credits, divided by 100, rounding down.

The wording of this would mean that it applies whether the robot is hiding or seeking.

Greg Smith said:
Robots always escape from combat with Hit & Run.
Robots with Surgeon always succeed.
If a robot has Die Harder it is immortal - although it has a number of useless talents along the way.
A Robot is immune to Punisher double pistol effects.
A robot will never be knocked down by a Shield Bash.

Surgeon = advanced programming, so I guess this works.
The Die Harder issue has been raised elsewhere and there hasn't been an answer that I'm aware of. Personally I think this would work if the "Sneaky Does It" amendment applies here as well, but that would need a rules amendment.
Punisher and Shield Bash could both represent the target diving for cover (I'm stretching a bit here). Hit & Run, I dunno.

Greg Smith said:
As a further point: how does will work with robot mercenaries? The 'You'll never take us alive human' rule applies to Renegade Robots, but not to robot mercenaries who have no will score.
msprange said:
16. All Mercenary robots now work like Renegade Robots in terms of special rules.

So anything that applies to renegade robots, including will, now applies to all mercenaries.

chaoschild said:
The wording of this would mean that it applies whether the robot is hiding or seeking.

The last two sentences imply that it is aimed at spotting though:
This is a reflection of the sophistication of the sensors they are equipped with. Robodogs gain a +1 bonus to this, as they are designed
to sniff out intruders.

Maybe Robots should have a will stat. And then make the 'You'll never take us alive...' rule as they never fail WTF and can't be affected by Psi powers that require a will roll.

chaoschild said:
Da Boss said:

Rulebook said:
Heroes will automatically succeed in resisting arrest, but judges must still make the attempt. They do not have to arrest robots or zombies, and may open fire immediatly.
So yes, Judges still need to make an arrest check even if the player knows that the target will automatically pass the test.

This rule could do with a little extra clarification though, possibly in Block War to highlight other targets that do not need to be arrested. Right now Judges have to arrest demonic entities, and may actually succeed. :twisted:

Right thanks :)

Same with the Sovbloc Forces ;)

I think Kleggs have been arrested in the comic but Klegghounds and other similar predators / monsters should also be shoot on sight?

Back