(Ahem) Rulebook Update

It looks like the new one is up.

Revision date is still 26th April. :roll:

The table of contents are wonky - the page numbers are wrong. There are no bookmarks.

The talent trees are pretty clear. Although I can see one talent that has disappeared - Disarming shot (ie it is on the tree but no description).

Nice update to the rule book, and the new talents look great - however Page 50 states there are 5 types of talents when there are only 4????

Very nice updates. I love the talent trees, so easy to ready now. Like everyone else though I have a few points.

Zombies can now buy armor, how does that work with the dead flesh rules. Does it subtract its armor rating instead of adding. Or is it two rolls now, which would make it really confusing (first I roll over ten counting AP to save, then I roll under 10 counting hits to ignore. :?: )

It's a good step forward. Sorted out climbing and falling rules! Unfortunately still doesn't give rules for flying. Yes, ToC is also a little off, but mostly close. Couple of questions have popped up:

- With the new super cheap Missile Launcher and Missiles, is that 10 points for a single missile, or for unlimited ammo of that type?

- Was the heavy spit gun always the same price as a spit gun; I dont have the old version handy to check? Either way, that seems a bit odd as there is no downside to taking a heavy weapon.....so you'd always go for the heavy spit gun!

At those new costs I'd expect every gang to sport a missile launcher and heavy spit gun now!

Hi
Just been looking at the rulebook and the Telepathy skills. There doesn't seem to be any there that are Judge Anderson-ish. What about when she controls people through suggestion? Or reads their minds? Or finds the location of hidden perps?

Were you thinking of make those Anderson (she is meant to be an exceptional Psi) only skills for when you make her stats?

Loving all this...
Alex E

'Lo all. As a new/prospective player seduced by the kickstarter, I greatly enjoyed reading the rulebook, which is pleasantly clear and straightforward - and free! I particularly liked he simple way equipment is largely separated from models' characteristics, really opening things up for squad customisation.

I do however have a few questions, most to do with fluff, and none of which should be seen as big negatives, just the mutterings of a recidivist pedant!:

1. Is there an agreed way to report typos/inconsistencies etc.? I've spotted a few, but don't want to be bothering Matt'n'Co with deciphering rambling e-mails if there is a accepted reporting method.

2. Why is Cal referred to as Caligula throughout? 'Judge Caligula' was the title of the Titan reprint collection of The Day the Law Died, not the name of the man himself, and while the character and his antics are explicitly based on Robert Graves' (or more likely the BBC's) version of Caligula from I, Claudius (with a dash of Pat Mills), no-one in the strip itself ever refers to him as anything but Cal.

3. Mean Angel's dial does indeed go 'upta 4', but his signature uncontrollable butt-frenzy occurs when the dial gets stuck on 4 1/2. Might it be nice to include a mechanic for that, since all the other modes are covered?

4. With its half-decent AI, the Lawmaster frequently acts as a Judge's dedicated backup in the strip - even in the (only good) movie it gets assigned to crowd control duties! It strikes me that it should be possible to use the bike as an independent model, effectively a robot, when the Judge isn't on it, perhaps with M: 20", Ag: 0, Me: -2, MD: +1D, Will: (as Renegade Robot), Ar: +2, Hits: +4, Minion. Perhaps its cost could be increased to 150 to reflect this increased functionality?

That's enough for now!

1. List them here on the forum - we regularly sweep them all up and make tweaks to the book.

2. Few people call Dredd 'Joe' but that is his name!

3. It would be fun!

4. Been humming and harring about this - it did not really matter until we had some Lawmaster models but now they are imminent, we ought to take another look.

+ 1 for a semi-autonomous Lawmaster. Its a defining thing about Dredd I think. Particularly in the early days he was always getting out of scrapes via bike cannon on auto.

Perhaps there would need to be some sort of balancing control to prevent over-use - something like the Arrest requirement. Maybe a Judge can't order his Lawmaster to take independent action if there is another Judge within 12", or take a shot if he himself was able to? After all, dispensing justice is a Judge's responsibility, not his bike's (or his Mechanismo's - can't wait to see how they play!).

As to 'Judge Caligula', that's the thing Matthew, it's not his name! He's SJS Chief Cal, then Chief Judge Cal, never Judge Caligula - it's not even the name of the storyline, that was just Titan's idea of cross-marketing! Not that I mind, mind!

shiba-tenchi said:
It's a good step forward. Sorted out climbing and falling rules! Unfortunately still doesn't give rules for flying. Yes, ToC is also a little off, but mostly close. Couple of questions have popped up:

- With the new super cheap Missile Launcher and Missiles, is that 10 points for a single missile, or for unlimited ammo of that type?

- Was the heavy spit gun always the same price as a spit gun; I dont have the old version handy to check? Either way, that seems a bit odd as there is no downside to taking a heavy weapon.....so you'd always go for the heavy spit gun!

At those new costs I'd expect every gang to sport a missile launcher and heavy spit gun now!

1. Yes, it is 10cr per missile. Can't have one guy carrying 50 missiles around can we.

2.The H.Spitgun use to be 75cr, along with the laser cannon. It's been brought up that it didn't make sense that laser rifle, h.spitgun and laser cannon were all the same price. Thus we have these prices now. Which ar definitly better but unfortunatly created a little mistake.

A few issues we have found in the JDMD book:

Page 44, mentions that armoured zombies use amour differently, deducting -1 from the damage value if the zombie is armoured. Under options, says that zombies may be armoured for +10 points (that is clear, it gives them -1 to incoming damage) but then has an additional entry for Standard Issue Armour for +20 points (unclear as to what it does for zombies as it is not stated)

Also Page 44, "In addition, a zombie is fairly easy to patch up after a battle. When rolling on the Injury Table, a zombie ignores all results (and thus returns straight back to the force, unharmed) except Torn Apart and Dead." is problematic, because zombies are minions, they have a special rule stating that they may never become heroes, and thus minions are never supposed to roll on the injury table? instead, minions are supposed to follow the "Injured Minions" rule, at the end of the injuries section on page 77? Not sure how zombies are meant to be played in this regard.

Page 75, under Summon Psychic Entity, it still says "Choose a psychic entity from
pXX and immediately place it anywhere within 5” of the Hero", without a section of psychic entities to refer to.

When a character is injured and loses a point or so of a characteristic, they can nullify this if they have the creds to buy a cybernetic part.

One question: cybernetic limbs and lungs are ok, but if you get injured in the head and gain a -1 to Shoot, could you add an annotation to the cybernetic list and add Bionic Eyes.

If you bought these normally they could give you a +1 to shoot, or as stated, if used to replace an injured part, nullify the chararcteristic decrease.

Now I don't want to sound like I'm ungrateful for the option but why does it cost so much to improve some of the renegade robots armour is it a typo or intentional? (I could buy another combat droid with a gun for the cost of upgrading ones armour) Also the robots have a dash for their will modifier does this mean they can't upgrade it at all or is it +0 I'm thinking for when they need to make apposed will checks like some of the psi powers and when trying to spot hidden enemies and does a robot that take the die harder talent become incapable of dying in a game as it calls for a will check which they always pass? Lastly a general question what models can take the advanced cybernetic arms and legs cybernetics except a wealthy lone vigilante as there cost far outstrips most models equipment allowance or does that not include cybernetics? I made this question it's own post but I didn't get any good replies so I'll try here.

callmekenneth said:
Now I don't want to sound like I'm ungrateful for the option but why does it cost so much to improve some of the renegade robots armour is it a typo or intentional? (I could buy another combat droid with a gun for the cost of upgrading ones armour) Also the robots have a dash for their will modifier does this mean they can't upgrade it at all or is it +0 I'm thinking for when they need to make apposed will checks like some of the psi powers and when trying to spot hidden enemies and does a robot that take the die harder talent become incapable of dying in a game as it calls for a will check which they always pass? Lastly a general question what models can take the advanced cybernetic arms and legs cybernetics except a wealthy lone vigilante as there cost far outstrips most models equipment allowance or does that not include cybernetics? I made this question it's own post but I didn't get any good replies so I'll try here.
Just to reiterate and expand on the answers I provided on the other thread (although apparently they weren't good enough for you):

1: Robots do not have a will characteristic because they do not need it. They automatically pass all will checks. This would also make them immune to psi-talents like mind lash or insanity (as they all use pass/fail to determine whether they succeed or not). Although I admit the idea of a robot with Die Harder is downright scary.

2: Most heroes with the Wealthy talent can take at least some of the advanced cybernetics, which is how it should be (they're expensive, you need to have lots of cash, makes sense to me). A Wealthy gangster can have up to 400 creds worth of equipment for example, wealthy punks, orang-utans, gorillas, fatties and desperadoes can all take up to 250 creds worth (the same as the vigilante). Technically wealthy robot heroes could afford it as well, though I guess then it would be upgraded systems rather than cybernetics per se.

chaoschild said:
callmekenneth said:
Just to reiterate and expand on the answers I provided on the other thread (although apparently they weren't good enough for you):

1: Robots do not have a will characteristic because they do not need it. They automatically pass all will checks. This would also make them immune to psi-talents like mind lash or insanity (as they all use pass/fail to determine whether they succeed or not). Although I admit the idea of a robot with Die Harder is downright scary.

2: Most heroes with the Wealthy talent can take at least some of the advanced cybernetics, which is how it should be (they're expensive, you need to have lots of cash, makes sense to me). A Wealthy gangster can have up to 400 creds worth of equipment for example, wealthy punks, orang-utans, gorillas, fatties and desperadoes can all take up to 250 creds worth (the same as the vigilante). Technically wealthy robot heroes could afford it as well, though I guess then it would be upgraded systems rather than cybernetics per se.

Wealthy only doubles the cred value that a model can take meaning a punk and what not can take 250 creds of stuff, and robots only pass will checks not WIN like it says for zombies.

Back