Age of Conan - Strategy Board Game

I would be interested in this game. I've seen people with the War of the Ring game at conventions but have never played or, nor do i know the mechanics. It looked cool.

K

New pic from Essen 2008 showing what might be the final board.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/386465

I asked a guy who presented the pre version at the SPIEL - it should be available in early 09 in english and german. Looked good, hadn't time to play it, though

What I don't understand is that they use the same name as the video game while it is absolutely not the same game. :?

I am also not so pleased with the map:
"The main map represents Hyborea, subdivided in 4 main regions, differently coloured: the North (Purple), the East (Yellow), the Central Hyborea (Brick red), and the South (Green)"

The King said:
What I don't understand is that they use the same name as the video game while it is absolutely not the same game. :?

I am also not so pleased with the map:
"The main map represents Hyborea, subdivided in 4 main regions, differently coloured: the North (Purple), the East (Yellow), the Central Hyborea (Brick red), and the South (Green)"

My thought on the name is, it's CPI (owners of the franchise rights to Conan) trying to establish a brand name with Age of Conan. Remember the book trilogies were titled Age of Conan as well. It's a clever way to expand the long in the tooth franchise of Conan by capitalizing on the world of Conan, which is brand new territory. Smart move on their part.

Here's some more pictures of the map and game pieces:

pic393871_md.jpg

pic393872_md.jpg

www.boardgamegeek.com/image/393872

Rules for the game are posted.

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/age-of-conan/media/age-of-conan-rulebook_EN.pdf

Game already bought, awaiting package any day.

Early impressions seem to point the game doesn't have a strong theme, it could be about anything and it wouldn't have made a difference. Also, those who have played don't seem to have liked it too much, especially compared to War Of The Ring.

Early impressions convey disappointment.

The review is quite positive.
My main concern is that I don't see why they divided the game in 4 coloured parts. Moreover the game is quite expensive and I let me lured by the Arkham Horror game :roll:

I'll wait for the french version that should be available soon...

King, I guess the colors are associated with culture (ie players): Western (Hyborian Kingdoms), Eastern (Turan, Hyrkania), Southern (Shem, Stygia, Black Kingdoms) and Northern (Nordheim, Cimmeria, Hyperborea).

We also play Arkham Horror but I know we'll fall for the Conan BG...

Hervé said:
King, I guess the colors are associated with culture (ie players): Western (Hyborian Kingdoms), Eastern (Tura, Hyrkania), Southern (Shem, Stygia, Black Kingdoms) and Northern (Nordheim, Cimmeria, Hyperborea).

Really weird to put Aquilonia and Nemedia in the same team...

W.

I hope Age of Conan is as great a game as Arkham Horror - one of the best boardgames ever made. 8)

The reviews are very positive, so I'm excited that there is a possibility the game may be on par with the great Arkham....

Fantasy Flight tries very hard to make toys to pass your time with, but don't actually put much effort into making a balanced game. If you like the theme, and don't mind that you're playing a game that you quite possibly had no chance of winning from the very start simply because of how the cards or racial powers or whatever get distributed, then you can enjoy FF games. If you'd rather finish a game and feel like what you did mattered more than what happened to you, then look for some other company's games.

To put it another way, FF games are more like movies but they get put on the same shelf with video games, so when you get it home you can have expectations that are pretty far off.

Back