Adventures in the Lost City of Ibnath (Conversion Notes)

thulsa

Mongoose
Hi all,

The Ancient Kingdoms: Mesopotamia adventure/sourcebook from Necromancer Games (http://www.necromancergames.com) is now in print!

I've written up some conversion notes for those wanting to run the adventure with the Mongoose Conan RPG rules. Feedback is welcome!

http://hyboria.xoth.net/adventures/mesopotamia_conversion_notes.htm

- thulsa

The book looks very interesting and I'm wondering if I could use it in a low level / introductory game. It sounds like a series of mid to high level adventures...

It is intended for mid-to-high levels (5th to 10th +). However, you could scale down some of the earliest encounters and maybe start with 2nd-3rd level characters, depending on the composition of the party and the number of PCs.

- thulsa

GREAT!!!
i got the book last week and been working on the same thing, great to see someone has done a lot of the work, THANKS!!
i decided to get the suplement because i thought the scenario fitted perfectly,

MAN!
I didn't know you wrote it!!
great, im definitively going to run it

I've been looking for a way to bridge the levels and adventure to play at last the gaygax necropolis adventure and this fits perfectly, the players are currently in Zamboula,
man I've been reading Mesopotamia for the last week and its great!

Yes, it does fit rather well as a prequel to Necropolis.

You could run some city-based intrigues and adventures in Zamboula until they reach levels 4-5 and head south-east through the desert, towards the Ilbars Mountains.

After exploring the lost city of Ibnath and environs, the PCs should be around 9-10th level, and you can send them into neighbouring Stygia for some tomb-kicking action... I guess you've seen Uncle Bear's ideas for using Necropolis in Hyboria? ( http://unclebear.com/conan/ - It's in the section entitled Eternal House play journal).

- thulsa

Thulsa,
I picked up AK:M yesterday. It's pretty awesome, and is PERFECT for my game. One quick question, though: where are the downloadable maps? I would like to give my players a map of Ibnath, but I couldn't find it on the Necromancer site. Did they forget to post it? Thanks for a great module!!

Ken

Hi Zen Ken,

glad to know that you like the module.

There is indeed a Players' Map of Ibnath (one without captions/lettering on it), but I guess they haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

I've contacted the powers that be (the demon lords :) ) at Necromancer Games and asked them to put up the map in the Product Support section at www.necromancergames.com . Stay tuned...

- thulsa

I bought the book based on this thread. Very happy with the purchase. Plan on bringing it into play within the next few weeks.

Is the Necropolis campaign the same one from the Gygax-Dangerous Journeys system published by GDW? I have that one somewhere and is this one just adding in the D20 stuff?

Is the Necropolis campaign the same one from the Gygax-Dangerous Journeys system published by GDW? I have that one somewhere and is this one just adding in the D20 stuff?

Yes, Necropolis from Necromancer Games is a d20 (3rd Edition) conversion of the Mythus/Dangerous Journey module by Gary Gygax.

The text and maps are more or less the same, but of course the stat blocks are all updated/converted and there are almost 100 "new" monsters converted from the Mythus version.

- thulsa

One quick question, though: where are the downloadable maps? I would like to give my players a map of Ibnath, but I couldn't find it on the Necromancer site. Did they forget to post it? Thanks for a great module!!

The Players' Map of Ibnath has now been posted at the Necromancer Games website.

See http://p082.ezboard.com/fnecromancergamesfrm69.showMessage?topicID=23.topic for the download link.

- thulsa

thulsa said:
The Players' Map of Ibnath has now been posted at the Necromancer Games website.

Looks great. Plus, Canada Post just alerted me that my copies of Mesopotamia and Scroll of Skelos are waiting for me at home. Magnifique.

Gotta remember to download the map.

Any other adventures that anyone can think of that could easily convert to Conan?

How about that old D&D adventure, Dwellers of the Forbidden City? I think the Yuan-Ti are a nice touch, very Set-like.

urdinaran said:
Any other adventures that anyone can think of that could easily convert to Conan?

How about that old D&D adventure, Dwellers of the Forbidden City? I think the Yuan-Ti are a nice touch, very Set-like.

In a pre 3rd edition Hyborea campaign about 8 years ago me and one of the other DM's in the group tag teamed as DM/Player. He ran Dwellers of the Forbidden City and it was great!

Granted this was 8 years, or maybe more ago, and it was a more fantasy based when compared to the Mongoose rules. We are doing things much differently now.

Still with minor alterations and getting rid of some of the other "Creature" encounters it can work great.

Other old DnD modules I have customized and have DMed in both pre mongoose rules and with mongoose rules or are soon DMing are:

The Lost City
Isle of Dread ( Finished running 3 weeks ago)
The Veiled Society
Destiny of Kings
Curse of Xanathon
Against the cult of the Reptile God
Eye of the Serpent
Master of the Desert Nomads/ Temple of Death
There are others I am sure

Example conversion;
Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
The wizard of course becomes a scholar, the smugglers using the alchemists home as a base I converted to slavers, and there was no lizard man plot or continuation to the next two adventures in the series. The party was hired by a scholar to look for the secret of the philosphers stone it is rumored the dead wizard/alchemist had discovered.
A great adventure for first level characters and can be put anywhere along the coast from Stygian to Zingara.

The ones listed above I've actually worked on or ran. My Hyborean campaigns tend to have strong political and exotic and weird or lost locales like most DM's and the above adventures are all great classics easily converted.

Just change the names of the countries, gods, and replace huminoids with humans and make their equipment appropriate.

Scale back the monster encounters and the one or two you might use turn into something more raw and truly terrible and certainly not common.

The "monster villians" could be made into demons worshipped as gods waiting to be brought into the world through influence or sacrifice. The Naga in Against the Cult of the Reptile God could be replaced with say a female sorcerer who has the same motives and powers as the Naga and is trying to summon the Naga (Reptile God) into the world. The players try to stop her and maybe succeed so no Naga encounter only the threat of one. Maybe they fail and have to fight the Naga customized as you see fit. Or maybe the Naga is in it and there is no sorcerer puppet.

After turning all spell casters into sorcerous scholars you got something worthy of the name Hyborean Adventure!

I find this saves me a lot of time for prep and since the group I play with are in their mid 30's everyone in the group enjoys the classics every few years.

So I say do the forbidden City. You can always alter the Yaun ti in some way that suits you. Like maybe the Yaun Ti (Serpent men Set Worshippers :wink: ) don't polymorph their opponents into bunny rabbits.

Maybe there are only abominations or maybe there are all three types of YT. The bullywugs could be a tribe of human primitives that dress in reptile skins and teeth which in certain conditions may fool the party, Ala The 13th Warrior.

Its endless man, endless...

Back