Adventure Idea needed...

Don Allen

Mongoose
OK, some of you who are more creative than I am, I need your help. I am running a game tomorrow evening, and continue on Fri. and I am drawing a blank. I think I want the 3 of them to make Barbarian characters from the same tribe (maybe a cold/harsh land not unlike Cimmeria)... but thats as much as I've got. Any ideas for an adventure for 3-4 Barbarian characters? I want something fantastical but not magic heavy.

Thank you,
Don

Don Allen said:
OK, some of you who are more creative than I am, I need your help. I am running a game tomorrow evening, and continue on Fri. and I am drawing a blank. I think I want the 3 of them to make Barbarian characters from the same tribe (maybe a cold/harsh land not unlike Cimmeria)... but thats as much as I've got. Any ideas for an adventure for 3-4 Barbarian characters? I want something fantastical but not magic heavy.

Thank you,
Don

I know this is pushing our product, but Outpost Qether, one of our 2 RQ adventures might be up your alley.

Here's the description:

Outpost Qether, for use with the new version of RuneQuest is a setting guide to the westernmost Tirasim frontier. This outpost is home to all sorts: traders, criminals, farmers, and military men. It’s a place where hope is fading fast now that the Judges in the capitol Arioch have decided that the fifty-year-old installation has outlived its usefulness. Unless someone finds a good reason for the outpost to remain, it will be shut down.

Recently however, local scouts have returned with news: the Gadianti have set up a small post to the East and are digging for... something. Perhaps it might be just the thing to give the outpost reason to exist. All they need now is a party of adventurers to find out what's going on over there.

This adventure is ready to run right out of the box. Everything you need is within these pages, including: detailed NPCs, maps of Qether and the outlying regions, and the adventure itself.

Are you ready to uncover the secrets of Outpost Qether?

If it sounds interesting, I'll shoot you a complimentary copy if you also give us a review on RPGNow. :)

Hyrum.

For something quick and easy try the "Menace" idea. Have some sort of creature attacking livestock and being a threat to the tribe in some way. It doesn't have to be very tough. Just somethuing that will provide enough excitement to get the group going.

FOr example you could have an old, wounded bear kill a few sheep or some cattle, or even a fellow tribemean. THe PCs have to hunt it down and kill it. Since they will all be barbiarans they should have the tracking skills to do the job.

THrow in a few tracking, climbing other other skill rolls to teach the PCs the system before getting down to the bear.

Once they find and deal with the bear (If they are clever they can find ways to defeat it without getting hurt, like missle weapons from up in a tree), they can find the broken arrrow shaft stuck in it, with strange fletchings. THat could lead into antoher adventure as the PCs have to discover who is trespassing on their lands, and why.

Note that you could substitute the bear with any sort of threat, even a bunch of wloves. JUst keep it simple to start with so everyone can get their feet wet.

A big part of Gloranthan Orlanthi Barbarians culture is cattle raids on other clans. Sneak up, steal cattle, fight if caught. Could try something like that, simple and straightforward.

Could kill someone important, or maybe steal some magical herd beast causing a stronger than normal response from the offended clan.

Or on a completely different track, raiding tombs for artifacts never goes out of style. Skeletons and Zombies and Liches, Oh My!

(O.K. - Maybe skip the Liches part).

Rurik said:
Or on a completely different track, raiding tombs for artifacts never goes out of style. Skeletons and Zombies and Liches, Oh My!

(O.K. - Maybe skip the Liches part).

NO! I like Liches... in heavy syrup! :p

Never forget the age-old favourite of being confronted by a wounded man or woman who tells you just enough to get your hackles up, dies, but leaves a hefty blood trail for the PCs to follow back to a lair, den, warzone, etc.

It is a decent lead-in if your characters are not the "lift up her foot to see the XP value" kind of roll-players. :)

Bry

You could always try an adventure about the offspring of the undead . . .

"Sons of Liches"

*Ducks before people start throwing sharp and heavy objects*

:D :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm all in favour of defensive situations. There's a monster, or group of monsters, or perhaps brigands out in the woods. Have the players come across some corpses - perhaps they're initialy suspected as being responsible? Use those social skills to get out of it, or wait untill the next death while you're safely tied up. All sorts of options.

Also it makes a difference to be defending a place and poeple rather than just trashing them. Hence the popularity, and longevity of the Gringle's Pawn Shop adventure from so long ago. Handled well it can give a real feeling of threat, and achievement.

Simon Hibbs

Another good one: THe local shaman is missing... was supposed to be back yesterday... they ask you to go find him tomorrow... dead or alive.

He's been captured by some elves, who are arguing over whether to "use him as fertilizer or to break his branches and send him home...." It boils down to him having chopped down a favored tree for the run upon it... and said tree was a spawning tree.... and literally dozens of elves will not not become seeds....

AKAramis said:
Another good one: THe local shaman is missing... was supposed to be back yesterday... they ask you to go find him tomorrow... dead or alive.

He's been captured by some elves, who are arguing over whether to "use him as fertilizer or to break his branches and send him home...." It boils down to him having chopped down a favored tree for the run upon it... and said tree was a spawning tree.... and literally dozens of elves will not not become seeds....

I guess the shaman didn't know to "leave" well enough alone! :wink:

I think I'd be bring him back "dead" and suggest we get a smarter shaman next time.

AKAramis said:
Just remember, the Aldriami are not going to like you taking their fertilizer, either....

Yeah, but being a farming community he can make a trade. 500 punds of dung for 180 pound dung-head?

"Hey Elves!, Please don't squeeze the Shaman!" :wink:

Don Allen said:

Thank you,
Don

Well, that was Wednesday and this is Friday. I hope the game went off as planned.

How'd the game go and what was the scenario?

Back