Admirals of the High Seas Tournament - Results

MongooseMatt

Administrator
Staff member
Hi guys,

Just a quickie, but the tournament has just finished. Good games all round it seems, and not one cross word between gamers - that is what we like to see!

No doubt the participants will want to add their fleet lists to this thread when they get home and recover but, for now, the tournament listings;

1. Ben Rubery - Russian Navy - 78 points
2. Tony Garry - US Navy - 71 points
3. Roger Winter - Russian Navy - 68 points
4. Edward McDonald - IJN - 60 points
5. David Underwood - Kriegsmarine - 57 points
6. Dave Robotham - US Navy - 57 points
7. John Wall - Italian Navy - 54 points
8. Lee Upton - Royal Navy - 53 points
9. Anthony Evans - Kriegsmarine - 34 points
10. Peter Perry - Royal Navy - 26 points

It was good to see the Italians and Russians represented, and we had some interesting fleets appearing. A nearly all carrier fleet was attempted, and the Iowa made an showing in the last round (I believe the only War level ship tried in the tournament). There was one fleet completely wiped out during every round except the first, with the annihilator's credits going to Lee Upton, Tony Garry and Edward McDonald.

It was great seeing faces both known and new, and at Mongoose we are looking forward to the next tournament - Battlefield Evolution, just two weeks from now!

It would be interesting to see the results of each round too - as in who fought whom and with what navies.

It is very interesting the Russians came out on top and the Japanese with the long lance torpedo that everyone seems to be so scared of didnt.

Did the end results boil down to tactics or ships used?

Wouldn't picking the right ships constitute part of your tactics.

I know I wish I'd gone with less ships thatwere bigeer, and maybe less carriers in my 1940 onwards games.

Here's my fleet lists:

Fleet List – 1939

Ship Name Ship Class Priority Level
HMS Jackson J, K, N Class Destroyer Patrol
HMS Karter J, K, N Class Destroyer Patrol
HMS O’Neill J, K, N Class Destroyer Patrol
HMS Raisin York Class Cruiser Skirmish
HMS Biscuit York Class Cruiser Skirmish
HMS Lost Ark-Royal Class Carrier Raid
HMS Lollipop Norfolk Class Cruiser Raid
HMS Pinafore Norfolk Class Cruiser Raid

Fleet List – 1940, 1942 & 1945

HMS Raisin York Class Cruiser Skirmish
HMS Biscuit York Class Cruiser Skirmish
HMS Saratoga Illustrious Class Carrier Skirmish
HMS Tiger Claw Illustrious Class Carrier Skirmish
HMS Lollipop Norfolk Class Cruiser Raid
HMS Pinafore Norfolk Class Cruiser Raid

LBH

lastbesthope said:
Here's my fleet lists:

LBH

oh dear, you deserved to lose for that LBH! :p

Greetings,

my Kreigsmarine fllet comprised of:

one Scharnhorst-class battlecruiser
three Zerstorer 1936-class destroyers
three Type-XI U-boats and
six flights of ME109s.

On the evidence of today's tourney, the U-boats are a bit of a liability. If you can have a good first round with them, then fine. Thereafter, any enemy surface vessel just sails away and leaves you pootling around the table. In addition, neither the subs or any aircraft you field count towards your fleet with regard to surving an annihilation scenario - once your surface vessels have been sunk then it's game over!

On reflection, I think the wolf pack can stay in its pen for future engagements.

For my Fleet I took:

3 x New Orleans Cruisers
2 x Pensacola Cruisers
1 x Portland Cruiser
6 x Fletcher Destroyers

On the whole the fleet performed well with enough 8" shots to cause criticals on most ships. Against the Japanses navy I was lucky to fight in bad weather so i could generally avoid the Nagato with my cruisers by staying at long range or using smoke and I managed to sink all his other ships, but I did lose all my destroyers.

My one loss was against the russians, partly(70%) due to poor set up on my part and partly due to the fact that the Russians can have a "Raid" level Battleship which is as hard to hit as a cruiser, has 12 AD and reloadable torpedoes. This should definatley be a battle level ship.

However it was an exellend day and well worth the trip from London.

It would be interesting to see the results of each round too - as in who fought whom and with what navies.

It is very interesting the Russians came out on top and the Japanese with the long lance torpedo that everyone seems to be so scared of didnt.

Did the end results boil down to tactics or ships used?

As it turns out the final results sheet transposed the results of my game against Roger and gve me 3 points instead of 17. This meant my placing was a lot higher than shown.

On the Japanese fleet I took, this consisted of the following:

Nagato - Nagato Class Battleship
Takao - Takao Class Cruiser
Aoba - Aoba Class Cruiser
Kinugasa - Aoba Class Cruiser
Furutaka - Furutaka Class Cruiser
Kako - Furutaka Class Cruiser

6 ships, 5 of which have reloadable Long Lance Torpedoes...

In the end I think the torpedoes were quite effective. The big disadvantage is the lack or Radar, particularly in bad weather. The Nagato is a great ship with 8 16" guns, an armoured deck and a torpedo belt....

I ended up winning three games (17, 17 and 20) and losing one (3). I kind of diddled myself in one game in that I didn't realise that you got an annihalation relust if you killed all SURFACE vessels, subs left on the board don't count!

Overal, a great day, 4 fun opponents and not a bad result for my 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th games of VAS!

saint said:
In addition, neither the subs or any aircraft you field count towards your fleet with regard to surving an annihilation scenario - once your surface vessels have been sunk then it's game over!.

What would be the situation if you picked all subs and aircraft as a fleet then.

Do you lose as soon as the game starts

juggler69uk said:
saint said:
In addition, neither the subs or any aircraft you field count towards your fleet with regard to surving an annihilation scenario - once your surface vessels have been sunk then it's game over!.

What would be the situation if you picked all subs and aircraft as a fleet then.

The tournament rules limit fleet lists to 1 point on aircraft and 1 point on subs.

Court Jester said:
juggler69uk said:
saint said:

The tournament rules limit fleet lists to 1 point on aircraft and 1 point on subs.

Good point, good job someones awake (shame its not me)

Back