Actual play awesomeness...just have to share

Maedhros

Mongoose
So the PCs found themselves on the Count of Izmir's yacht, which was teeming with diseased and dying refugees from the incursion of a berserker-style robotic dreadnought. The sub-sector is in chaos and anarchy, as the sub-sector fleet was either destroyed or in headlong retreat. Sensors detected the jump flash of an inbound corsair that assumed an intercept course.

The PCs' Naval commissions had been reactivated, and in the tumult of the berserker onslaught a reduced platoon of Star Marines had been detatched to the PCs. Given the ready services of Gunnery Sergeant Raak and his battle-hardened leathernecks, the PCs decided to wait until the pirate corsair docked with the yacht and then bum-rush the invaders.

An ambush at the air lock was cobbled together. The engineer jerry-rigged a sandcaster barrel as a claymore, and blasted the first wave of pirates. The second wave got burst fire from marines in combat armor. The leader of the pirate boarding party, himself with a few terms of Marine service under his belt, decided not to tangle with his erstwhile brothers and slammed the air lock closed. The docking coupling was disconnected and the corsair pulled away from the yacht.

The exploding sandcaster barrel had jammed the yacht's air lock open, so the entire bay containing the PCs and Marines was subjected to explosive decompression. This triggered the AWESOME. The engineer, thinking quickly, ordered the Marines to tether themselves together and hook the tether line to the departing corsair with a magnetic grapple. As the corsair pulled away, it dragged a line of Marines and PCs with it like a wriggling, armored strand of christmas lights. Meanwhile, the pilot fired up the scout ship (docked at the other air lock) and started blasting the corsair.

So a long running battle ensued, with the PCs and Marines fighting to climb up the tether line under acceleration, grapple to the corsair's hull and plant a breaching charge on the corsair's air lock...all the while under fire from one of the corsair's turrets. The scout ship was also blasting away at the corsair, hoping to miss its allies crawling around on the outside. Eventually the strike team made it inside the corsair and subdued (then spaced!) its crew, but not before the scout ship's M-drive was disabled. The PCs took the corsair as prize, but without its armaments which had been blown up in the fight.

The idea of tethering one's self to one's comrades, then hooking onto a maneuvering spacecraft, may not be realistically possible under space-combat conditions - but it sure underscores the esprit de corps of the Star Marines in a way that makes me happy.

Sounds like a blast!

[But you can tell me... Who were those spaced 'pirates' really?!?]

Maedhros said:
...The idea of tethering one's self to one's comrades, then hooking onto a maneuvering spacecraft, may not be realistically possible under space-combat conditions - but it sure underscores the esprit de corps of the Star Marines in a way that makes me happy.

Realistically possible = sure why not -> Sane - Heck no!

[Yup! - sounds like a Marine to me! :D ]

That must have been one hell of a grapple and tether line.

That is some of the most awesome, insane shit I have ever heard. I am proud to have read it. That's not Traveller, that's straight out of Exalted, that stuff is. ^_^

Gaidheal said:
Realistic? Within the setting, sure... ballsy, though, hella ballsy.

It made me happy because so many times in games one gets hyper-cautious, over-planned, obsessive-compulsive risk aversion. It's nice to see some absolute spur-of-the-moment split-second risk-taking.

Aye, I think it's fantastic and it really does epitomize the "Can Do" attitude which is so prominent in professional & élite militaries.

Maedhros said:
Gaidheal said:
Realistic? Within the setting, sure... ballsy, though, hella ballsy.

It made me happy because so many times in games one gets hyper-cautious, over-planned, obsessive-compulsive risk aversion. It's nice to see some absolute spur-of-the-moment split-second risk-taking.

This is usually found in games which are hyper unforgiving of not calculating everything out and taking a few hits (Of which Trav is one,) settings where coming back from the dead is impossible (of which Trav is one) and settings without active damage-mitigating systems (of which Trav is one.)

Put them together, and Traveller is a game which actively punishes spur-of-the-moment decision-making and heroics.

It should probably be pointed out that life tends to punish spur of the moment heroics pretty harshly. If Traveller does also, that's a good thing. It means that there is at least a nod towards reality in the game mechanics.

That said, when somebody does something risky/heroic anyway, especially in a game where they actually care about the characters and setting, and pulls it off, it cranks up the awesome pretty high.

Aye, I thought it impressive precisely because I can believe that the characters knew it was damned risky, potentially lethal even, but didn't hesitate because it seemed like the best choice (or they were following orders, depending on character).

It's only heroism when you survive and get a medal, the rest of the time it's stupidity which led to your demise.

Back