ACTA Tournament -Saturday 20th Feb 2010

Have to admit to borrowing a Narn fleet solely for the purpose of annoying Charles - the idea of the Narns winning a game at the home of the most Centauri of Centauri Admirals just appeals. :p

General Update
Saturday 20th February

Attendees

Greg (*)
Ken (Kennyboy) (*)
Neil (TGT)
Burger
Jim?
Hiffano
Star Lynx
G'Quan
Paul (Clanger) (*)
Shut Up Hippie
Adrian H
Alex (*)
Ben (not that Ben, call him New Ben) (*)
Darren (Possible)
Orphanmaker
Mister Pink
Digger
Nomad

(organiser / player stand in) Charles (Da Boss) (*)

Will try and match up first couple of rounds a mmeber of Gregs Crew marked with (*) to vistors then Swiss Chess format for 3rd and 4th games.

Games already pre arranged for round 1
Kennyboy vs Star Lynx,
Burger vs AdrianH

Start same time as Aldershot - 10.30am gives people a chance to get brekkie on the way

Format

10am -10.30am
Sign-in - time to say hi, taunt opponents - make rash statements of victory - Tea and coffee

10.30am Game 1 (5 pt Skirmish)
Call to Arms - (terrain, no hyperspace), Max 8 ships (10 Drazi)

noon - lunch break - Chillie etc

12.30 - 2pm, Game 2 (3 pt Raid, minimum 1 raid ship (or higher PL) )

Rescue - (terrain, no hyperspace), Max 8 ships (10 Drazi)

2.15pm - 3.45pm - Game 3 (2 pt Battle)
Assassination - both players have a target ship - highest PL ship of opponent declared at the start of the Game. (One other ship of their fleet may start in hyperspace, terrain)
Max 8 ships (10 Drazi)

4pm - 5.45pm - Game 4 (3 pt War, must have at least one War(or higher) ship - this ship may not start in hyperspace)
Annihilation (One ship may start in hyperspace, terrain)
Max 10 ships (12 Drazi)
Clarification - your highest level ship must be on the table at the start- ie if you have 1 Armegddon and 1 War, your Armegeddon ship must start on the table and your War may be in hyperspace. If you have 3 War PL ships, you may select one to be in hyperspace

6pm - awards, final taunting and depart

All P+P rules amendments apply with the exception of Centauri Hunting Packs.
Triggy's Beam system in operation

1-2 miss
3-4 hit
5-6 hit and roll again

General info
Fleets and races may be different for each game - just declare at the start of the tourney (and give a list to me).
VP system is the one from Wallsal boys.
Only official ship stats - proxy ships are permissable but make sure oppoents fully aware of what they are at the start. I have a "large" collection of ships let me know if you want to borrow anything.
All ships have CQ 4 modified as normal by fleet rules/ abilities
Shadows obey scenario rules for number of ships they are allowed to deploy in hyperspace

Victory and Defeat
firstly in each game establish the winner using Victory Points:

Destroyed ships

Scenario 1
Patrol (or “twofer”) ship – 5 pts, Skirmish = 10pts, Raid = 20pts, Battle = 30pts

Scenario 2
Patrol (or “twofer”) ship – 3 pts, Skirmish = 5pts, Raid = 10pts, Battle = 20pts, War = 30pts
+10 VP for highest PL ship within 6” of target ship at end of the battle, if both same non VP

Scenario 3
Patrol (or “twofer”) ship – 2 pts, Skirmish = 3pts, Raid = 5pts, Battle = 10pts, War = 20pts
+10 VP for Assassination target destroyed or survives

Scenario 4
Patrol (or “twofer”) ship – 1 pt, Skirmish = 2pts, Raid = 3pts, Battle = 5pts, War = 10pts, Armageddon: 20pts

General

If a ship is not destroyed but is Crippled and/or Skeleton Crewed gain ¼ VP

If a ship retreats from the board - 1/4 VP

If a ship surrenders/captured = Double VP

Holding Ground: If you have one ship left but opponent does not gain 5VP

Bought Fighters = VP equal to the PL of a wing worth of flights destroyed (not carried fighters).

Tournament Points
At the end of each game each player works out points (from table below)

Game result.....................Victor....................Vanquished
Draw.................................10............................. 10
Win by less than 10 VP’s......13............................. 7
Win by 10 or more VP’s........17.............................3
Win by 25 or more VP’s........20.............................0
or opponent concedes

assigns a sportsmanship score (0 –2) to their opponent.

deducts the number of ships they lost from that which they destroyed (this figure can generate a negative value)

eg - you destroyed 3 ships and lost 5 - you will score -2, if you had destroyed 5 ships and lost 3 you generate +2.

All these scores are then totalled to give the Tournament Points for each player for each game.

In the case of an overall tie for either 1st, 2nd and 3rd it will be decided on ships lost/destroyed, then ships destroyed, then sportsmanship – then how nice people are to me.

I live in a rural village nearby and things are clear here - the snow's all melting so wouldn't expect a problem.

OK, just back in.

13th out of 14, ahead only of Digger. So the two Narns came last at the home of the most Centauri of Centauri... He cursed the dice or something I swear!

I'll let Charles make the announcements on the final results. Big thanks though to Adrian H, Shut Up Hippie, Mister Pink and Star Lynx for some cracking games. Granted I lost them all but they were still fun!

Kudos to Charles for putting on the show, even if he did manage to forget the rice with the lunch chili! That was about the only thing that did go wrong mind you - well paced, interesting missions that posed plenty of challenges, and a great location (despite the plummeting wasps).

Looking forward to the next round in Aldershot...

My thanks to all who came and made (IMO) the event such a success

in particular I would like to thank:

The Walsall boys for the truely splendid terrain
Kenny for the cloths
Ben for the computer wizardry
Paul for lugging tables first thing in the morning!

my appologies for the issues with getting in - problems with gates etc but again my sincere appologies and Hope it did not spoil the day...........

Similairly I forgot the rice (which is ironic cos its the food I actually like :roll: ) - :oops:

Tournament Results _ congratulations to:

First Place - Greg Smith
With an impressive 105 points - helped by his killing 18 ships over the 4 games and not losing a single ship - and all this with a damaged hand!!

Second Place - Neil - TGT
Impresive use of the Vree within the asteroid fields :D

Third Place - Adrian H
Hopefully will be posting some images as he often had a camera in hand

Honourable Mention
G'Quan - best international player

Dishonourable Mention - Digger had the status of "Narn" imposed on him by the Emperor

full results
Greg................................105pts
TGT……...........................…81pts
Adrian H….........................64pts
Hiffano…….........................60pts
Kennyboy........................…57pts (even with forfeiting a game!!!)
Clanger……........................56pts
G’Quan…….........................50pts
Star Lynx…........................44pts
Shutup Hippie....................43pts
Alex…………........................30pts
Burger…….......................…23pts
Mister Pink…......................23pts
Diesel………........................19pts
Digger………........................14pts

thanks again to one and all for coming, supporting us and hopefully enjoying the day

see you in Aldershot!

The Internationls are back home to.
It was a verry nice day in UK and to meet you all.
Coffee service the whole day :D THX!
Think we will return some day to fight again some games...

A little fun we got at the border security checks.
They scan the bags... and scan again... and some more... "What is that, in there?" -"Space ships" . . . "What?" - "Space ships" :roll: ...

img0478.jpg

I follow G´Quans Example, thx for the day.
Even when the first two games were "Bockmist" (never ever will switch games with a player when the organizer tells me to do that ;)
Showed me again, that this game is one of the most unbalanced games ever, espaciliy for tournamens it seem. But two times so much Bad Luck with my opponents, bähhh. Don´t counting the crits I sufferd in my last two games, fucking Tikrit both times lost its Front Arc :(

But anyway I had fun (okay only in the last two games ;) ) met some new players, gathered som new experience and ideas and enjoyed that day.
So overall, nice day. And maybe I join G´Quan and we pay u a visit again in the future :)

The Security at Stansted was the Highlight of the trip home 8)

I WAS ROBBED!!

Shut up Hippies last remaining ranger on a WS gunship, how the hell did he make all those damned dodges I wanna know!

Excelent day, special apologies to Star Lynx, Shut up hippie AND Burger, I rolled some silly dice against you guys, never have the dice gods rewarded me that way!

great day, lovely venue, and scrummy food, I "may" almost have got the acta bug back... now, where can i buy some FA Centauri....

Would like to echo all the other views that it was indeed a truly fantastic day! Great job Charles all round - especial thanks for providing lunch!

Big thanks to Clanger, Diesel, Hiffano and Alex.... I really enjoyed all the games.

@ Clanger - can't wait for the next grudge match!! You have bested me the last two times with those pesky rail hyperions, fingers crossed I am due some payback soon...???

@ Diesel - My favourite 'Other Ben' hater in the world! Never in the field of interstellar combat has such a beautiful and synchronised formation flying display been purformed by the Narn in a single game!! Especially baring in mind that Greg pointed out the Sho'kas had been flying backward the whole game!

@ Hiffano - The first and only time I have tried jump point bombing anyone - a tactic that I normally despise regarding it as morally corrupt - needless to say and justifiably Karma took a dim view of depravity and a damn good thrashing followed. The only redemption coming by dodging 4 out of 5 of the very last double damage shots fired in the game resulting in the last two surviving Rangers on my Whitstar Gunship being reduced to one and the ship surviving the game! That last ranger was definitely NOT GOING TO DIE FOR THE ONE!

@ Alex - First time we have played and really good fun game. Not much in the way of tactical subtlety - just to fleets tanking in out. I have to admit to having some of the best rolling ever in this game with both a Taralin and one of my Whsitestars have amazing beam rolls and getting some very very nasty crits. No doubt Alex will repay me in kind at our next meeting

Not sure if I can make the Aldershot tournie now as it appears my 'nearly' new niece (my Girlsfriends Niece) is being christened on the 11th April! Any chance we can move the date TGT?

Catch ya laters

Sounds like the Brits have it down on this game; all the cool events and fun to be had and its on a tiny Island in the Atlantic.

It coming up on a year now that I've picked up this game and reading this forum and still there are great games going on and fun to read!

Great posts and kudos to all...

Sounds like a great day was had by all.............. very envious.
Must have been to turn Hiff to the Darkside.

Congrat to Greg.

& nice ships there G'Quan.

A thoroughly enjoyable day!

Nice to see the Narn last again, but next time. . . . . . . .

Thanks Charles for everything organised so well.

See you all at Aldershot!

and i must say, I took a G'Quan in my AoL, it finished the game alive, after being shot by sharlins for 4 rounds, weapons still working, although moving at a very slow speed. the Close blast doors rule negated enough damage to sink pretty much any other ship, although my critical defence didn't work once.
I didn't get a single shot off versus stealth, but that one solitary e-mine salvo finished off one Sharlin, and allowed a Sharkaan to target another one. Ok the sharlin only had 4 damage left after hitting my greatest weapon... an asteroid! but it's still a kill for the G'Quan lol.
I took the G'Quan to soak damage and frustrate my opponent. and it did it admirably. They may still be behind other ships in most respects but as a distracting damage sponge, I couldn't fault it.

Thanks to Da Boss for letting us use his house for the tournament, also for the food. I'm surprised nobody else seemed to go for another dose of chilli and rice for supper!

Thanks to G'Quan and Mr. Pink for transporting me between Travelodge and Boughton House. We had fun finding the way in - we saw a sign saying "Entrance 1/2 mile <-" (and missed the small print saying "Delivery Entrance"), so we went and found that it was the delivery entrance. Back to the main entrance, big white gates which were closed and stuck. I made out the phone number on the sign, called the house, and was told to go back to the delivery entrance.

The rail journeys were also eventful, starting with the train from Edinburgh being cancelled, so anyone heading for the southwest was moved onto another train heading for London and transferred to another train at York. The display said our train was on platform 9, and the announcer was still saying it was on platform 9 while everyone was rushing across the bridge to the train on platform 10.

The return trip started with a derailment - not my train but an earlier one which meant nothing was going through Market Harborough, and anything going through Leicester did so via a long loop. But I'd arrived at the station an hour early so got an earlier train, putting me back at Sheffield at about the same time as originally planned. What Delenn said about humans forming communities was true, though - one formed in carriage C's vestibule, to the extent that nobody wanted to leave even when seats became available.

One guy joined us near the end of the journey, originally looking for the toilet. He then started talking about his intention to go to Thailand, only I misheard and thought he was still going on about the toilet. So he said he wanted someone to go with him, I said he should just go by himself, he said he was scared but was looking for the right person to join him, and I shut up at that point. :D

Da Boss said:
Third Place - Adrian H
Hopefully will be posting some images as he often had a camera in hand
full results
Greg................................105pts
TGT……...........................…81pts
Adrian H….........................64pts
Hiffano…….........................60pts
Kennyboy........................…57pts (even with forfeiting a game!!!)
If we regard my final battle with Kennyboy as a draw rather than a minor victory, I lose 3 points, Kenny gains 3, and 3rd place is pretty well a three-way tie. So, as a newly created lord of the Centauri Republic, I'd like to request that Hiffano and Kennyboy be likewise honoured.

hiffano said:
I took the G'Quan to soak damage and frustrate my opponent. and it did it admirably. They may still be behind other ships in most respects but as a distracting damage sponge, I couldn't fault it.
Ditto, although mine went into game 3 as a G'Tal, trading a one-shot e-mine for a long-term +2 init bonus. Having lots of damage is a good thing when you're the assassination target. It didn't have the distinction of nailing a war level ship but it did manage to do some damage with its secondaries - and not against fighters!

Photos are now available here. The on-line photos have been shrunk to 640x480; I have off-line copies at 1600x1200, so anyone who wants better versions of specific pictures can PM me.

Back