(ACtA:NA) Looking for help getting started, Please.

/Begin Transmission/

Hello all.

I'm hoping to get some help on figuring out what to pick up for getting started on playing ACtA: Noble Armada.

I've also got a couple of friends I'd like to introduce the game to and will be needing to place the order online so I don't have the Rule Book yet.

When I place the order I'd like to be able to get "The Book" and a couple of Starter Fleet Boxes, and I'd maybe pick up a few extra ships too while I'm at it to save on having to pay extra shipping costs expanding the fleets later.

So if you're willing to indulge me, I have a few questions about the fleets and the ships there are to chose from.

Now normally the stock answer on what to get is to "pick (the models) you like the look of and/or the fluff/lore for the most." But the thing is, as of right now we're only approaching it for the gaming aspects (I will be looking forward to immersing myself in the lore later though.)

And as to the ships; well, I really love the look of most of the fleets so picking based on looks doesn't really get me anywhere. While some look cooler to me than others, overall I think that most all of them tend towards looking pretty nice. (And some fo the ones I like less might just be the color selections on them, rather than the actual ships.)

Ok enough preamble, on to the questions then! ;-)

1). I've read a few reviews and some forum posts, and it looks like over all the different fleets are pretty similar. Is this correct?

- If there are any differences between them are they just subtle ones?*

- Are there certain themes or "play styles" built in to the various fleets? *

*(And if so, what are they?)

2). I'd like to have pretty even/fair match ups so are any of the fleets better or worse against any of the other ones?
- Are there "good" and "bad" match ups with regard to Fleet Selection?

3). Looking at the model's available right now, some of them have Dreadnoughts, I see a Heavy Carrier, and some Cruisers and a Grand Cruiser as well.
- Will all of the fleets have these options and it's just that not all the ships are out yet for all the fleets?

- If I was going to get some of these "extra ships", how well do these different classes of ships match up against each other? (i.e. Dreadnought vs Grand Cruiser vs Cruiser vs Heavy Carrier.)

Well that's probably enough pondering to get me started, I'd really appreciate any help.

Thanks all, Cheers!

~Captain Rolunde~

/End Transmission/

The Noble House fleets in the main rulebook are all pretty similar. Hazat has the benefit of better boarding potential, al Malik has weapons that pass through shields, Li Halan uses lots of lasers, Decados uses blasters doing more damage but less accurate than lasers.

In the Fleets of the Fading Suns supplement there are several new fleets that are quite different. Vuldrok use armour not shields, Vau are super advanced aliens, the church have all several new weapons, and Kurgan use fighters more. It also adds unique ships for the existing races.

They should all be pretty evenly matched. The ones in the main book certainly are. al Malik is probably the weakest fleet, but not by much. The Vau can be very nasty, but have some weak spots.

Dreadnoughts are the biggest ships - not every race gets them. Grand cruisers are nearly as tough. Heavy carriers are fairly tough but obviously carry lots of fighters.

Points for ships go (with some variation between fleets)
Scout or Raider 50-60
Frigate 100
Galliot 120
Destroyer 200
Cruiser 400
Grand Cruiser 500
Dreadnought 600
Light Carrier 150*
Med Carrier 300*
Heavy carrier 500*
Stealth ship 180*

*Not every race gets these.
Fleets change the way fighters cost - but basic fighters are free, others are more expensive.

Hiya Greg!

Thanks for the reply!

For now I'll just try and stay focused on the "core fleets" as they look to have the most figs readily available. ;-)

Glad to here that for the most part they all should be pretty well matched.

Thanks for the point costs on the ships too. :D

After watching a video on Beasts of War about the game, it seems that the fleets I am leaning towards the most are Li Halan, Decados, and Hawkwood.
- From their review of the game they sounded like pretty solid fleets with the added bonus that they each have some of the ships (and the highest number of them) that I think I most like the look of.

(I do think the Kurga look pretty cool too and I also do kind of like the Hazat, but I don't think I want to go with a fleet that seems to lean more heavily towards boarding actions.)

So yeah, I guess it is mostly looking like Li Halan and either Decados or Hawkwood.

How do the 2 of them (Decados and Hawkwood) compare?

Thanks again!

Decados are mainly a Blaster Fleet with a few Shield Burn out Guns and their Destroyer has Slug Guns. They have a high damage potential. Though no Scout ships (unless you take Psychic's or Theurgists).

Hawkwood are a good all round Fleet. They have Lasers which are good mid - long range and are better at scoring Criticals. Their secondary weapon are Missiles which pass through Shields. They have a Scout which can help with the re-rolls to hit with the Lasers.

In the Fading Suns / Noble Armada Universe Hawkwood and Decados are considered rivals. To use the Dune analogy Hawkwood would be House Atredies and Decados would be House Harkonnen.

Great, thanks Clanger!

Hmmm... the Dune hook has me sort of thinking about passing on Li Halan and going Decados-v-Hawkwood now, heh.

Cheers!

Back