A narn Players love for a G'Quanth

hiffano said:
CZuschlag said:
Ripple said:
did we really need a bigger Dag'Kar though?

Yes it switches the E-mine to torp ratio, but it is a often questioned ship and this is close to it.

Just saying that's something to consider too.

Ripple

That's the reason I really dislike this incarnation. I really don't want to see this ship as specified on the table. Ever.

yeah but you dislike 90% of the game anyway ;-)

this is true :D

Here I am, trying to be careful, cautious with improvements and not hand out upgrades like tossing water to ravers, and I just get grief.

Well....
Ni!

So there. I feel better now.

locarno24 said:
G'Quanth Attack Cruiser
Alternatively
G'Quanth Attack Carrier

I like both of these, particularly the Heavy Plasma Cruiser. The additional range and AP/DD guns would make it a ship I'd regularly use, while the Attack Carrier would make Goriths reasonably useful against Starfuries/Sentris, which would be nice. I'd probably drop the e-mine and give it Command +1 and a few extra AD of secondaries, though (something like 6 AD of both light pulse and ion cannon all round).

The alternative I'd suggest for the Heavy Plasma cruiser would be a battle level T'Loth command variant with Plasma cannon all round. Something like...

T'Kaal Command Cruiser (T'Loth variant) Battle

Speed: 7..........Damage: 74/15..........Craft: None
Turn: 1/45.......Crew: 90/21...............Special Rules: Command +1, Jump Engine, Lumbering
Hull: 5..............Troops: 4....................In Service 2243+

Weapon.............................Range......Arc......AD......Special
Heavy Plasma Cannon..........15..........F.........6........AP, Double Damage
Heavy Plasma Cannon..........15..........P.........4........AP, Double Damage
Heavy Plasma Cannon..........15..........S.........4........AP, Double Damage
Light Plasma Cannon.............8...........F.........8........AP
Light Plasma Cannon.............8...........A.........8........AP
Light Plasma Cannon.............8...........P.........8........AP
Light Plasma Cannon.............8...........S.........8........AP

locarno24 said:
G'Quanth Attack Cruiser
Unlike the classic G'Quan hull, the G'Quanth is designed as a close-ranged brawler, able to simultaneously engage several opponents by trading its hangar deck and most of its main guns for massive batteries of heavy pulse cannon covering every arc.
The variant was developed shortly after the Narn Regime joined the Interstellar Alliance, in an attempt to incorporate the new technologies into older hulls, and the G'Quanth gains a lot from this effort - its drive systems are significantly more powerful and its EA-derived heavy pulse cannon outrange the secondary weapons normally fitted on Narn ships.
The design - not that the Kha'Ri's Design Bureau would ever admit it - was largely inspired by the Centauri battlecruiser and battleship configurations that inflicted heavy losses on the Regime's fleet, and has proved very succesful against opponents who employ swarms of smaller ships.

G'Quanth Attack Cruiser
Name: Class/PL: G'Quanth Attack Cruiser / Battle
Crew Quality: Troops: 6
Speed: 7 In Service: 2252+
Turns: 1/45º Craft: -
Hull: 6 Special Rules: Anti-Fighter 3
Jump Engine
Lumbering
Damage: 65 / 13 Crew: 80 / 19

Energy Mines - 30" - 6AD - Forwards - AP, TD, EM, OS
Heavy Pulse Cannon - 12" - 10AD - Forwards - TL
Heavy Plasma Cannon - 15" - 6AD - Forwards - AP, DD

Heavy Pulse Cannon - 12" - 10AD - Port - TL
Heavy Plasma Cannon - 15" - 4 AD - Port - AP, DD

Heavy Pulse Cannon - 12" - 10 AD - Starboard - TL
Heavy Plasma Cannon - 15" - 4 AD - Starboard - AP, DD

Heavy Pulse Cannon - 12" - 6 AD - Aft - TL

Alternatively

G'Quanth Attack Carrier
The G'Quanth is a modified G'Quan hull, developed to offer the Narn fleet a true fighter command capabilty (unlike the older and unsophisticated T'Rann, which is little more than a hyperspace-capable fighter transport). The ship includes a great deal of sophisticated technology bought through the Interstellar Alliance from the EA and the Cascor, and the resulting ship is able to co-ordinate fighter operations across a sizeable engagement. It is true that the G'Quanth's fighter complement is low for a fleet carrier, but that is because the Narn Design Bureau refused to compromise on firepower. As a result the ship still maintains a fearsome array of forward weaponry, and woe betide the enemy who mistakes the G'Quanth for a helpless support carrier!

G'Quanth Attack Cruiser
Name: Class/PL: G'Quanth Attack Carrier/ Battle
Crew Quality: Troops: 4
Speed: 6 In Service: 2252+
Turns: 1/45º Craft: Frazi (4)
Hull: 6 Special Rules: Anti-Fighter 3
Jump Engine
Lumbering
Fleet Carrier
Damage: 65 / 13 Crew: 80 / 19

Energy Mines - 30" - 6AD - Forwards - AP, TD, EM, OS
Medium Laser Cannon - 18" - 4AD - Boresight - B, DD
Light Ion Cannon - 8" - 5 - Forwards - TL
Light Pulse Cannon - 8" - 3 - Forwards

Light Ion Cannon - 8" - 5 - Port - TL
Light Pulse Cannon - 8" - 3 - Port

Light Ion Cannon - 8" - 5 - Starboard - TL
Light Pulse Cannon - 8" - 3 - Starboard

Light Ion Cannon - 8" - 5 - Aft - TL
Light Pulse Cannon - 8" - 3 - Aft

I really like the first one. The second one needs work, perhaps more fighters. Four isn't enough to warrant calling it a fleet carrier. I'd drop the laser for 4 more fighters or so and maybe a carrier 2 rating. Or drop the e-mine launcher and replace with more fighters.

Tzarevitch

I like the Attack Cruiser - It would be a good fight with a Primus prob should adjust the ISD to ISA era ?

Oh damn & blast.
Consider both to be moved to 2265-ish...

I really like the first one. The second one needs work, perhaps more fighters. Four isn't enough to warrant calling it a fleet carrier. I'd drop the laser for 4 more fighters or so and maybe a carrier 2 rating. Or drop the e-mine launcher and replace with more fighters.

That was actually deliberate. It's a 'carrier' in that it has a higher fighter capacity than a standard-to-class G'Quan, but its prinicipally there to act as a co-ordinator rather than a carrier. Most narn capital ships have one or two flights of Frazis organic to them anyway, and if you want a fighter truck you bring along a T'Rann (who's role I was trying to avoid making obsolete).

A pure supercarrier would indeed swap out most of the heavy weapons for more fighters. However (at least in my mind) if you were trying to describe a supercarrier concept to a narn you'd get about as far as "first we're going to remove the ener..." before he'd slap you for being stupid.

That's why the ship is an attack carrier - i.e. a heavy cruiser that just happens to be able to co-ordinate fighter operations - rather than a classic supercarrier.

The alternative I'd suggest for the Heavy Plasma cruiser would be a battle level T'Loth command variant with Plasma cannon all round. Something like...

The mention of the 'low capability command ship' has been around for a while - and the T'Voth in Darkness Rising is such a ship - but that doesn't help with the G'Quonth.

Of course, given that it's a hull variant, there's no real problem with dropping it - it's not like you generate a redundant miniature...

Back