....A Few sort of good questions....

ArcLite

Mongoose
I used search to see if I could find anything on the topics I'll be addressing with no luck. So if it has been posted already please forgive me. :)

1. I know bandwidth is always an issue as well as keeping copyrighted material safe but can we get bigger pictures of the covers? I know this is a tiny thing in the grand scheme of things but it would be nice.
  2. Will there be an OGL Space book? You guys make some great material and to have a book dedicated towards space would be fabulous.
  3. Will there be or could there be an OGL Western book?
  4. Is the OGL horror book PG rated or leaning more towards R rated? I understand Wizards doesn't like anyone (Except themselves :p ) to publish more adult oriented material, so I'm wondering just how far you guys took it? Of course I could add all kinds of gory stuff later myself but I'm trying to get an idea ahead of time before I decide to purchase the book how much work I'll need to do.
  5. All of the OGL books fit together rules wise correct? I won't buy one book that has say a specific rule for auto weapons or something of that nature and open up another book and the same item or situation has a completely different rule? They basically all melt together regarding rules?

Thank you for your time!

Scott

ArcLite,

I am sorry no one answered your questions on this one. I'll do some poking and see if I can't get the author of the Horror book to address that question. As for the others, I really could not say beyond that fact that yes, all of the OGL books are intended to fit together in some coheseive fashion.

That said, there are a number of variations one will have to take into consideration when merging any two of them. Still, as it is all based around the same core mechanic (roll a d20, high is good! :) ), you should be able to play them together with little fuss.

-August

Horror don't have anything amazingly graphic in it - there are a few icky bits, but most of it is discussing how to run horror games, and that advice is independant of how adult the horror is. It would almost certainly have passed Wizards' decency clause if that had been an issue.

Well just because someone puts out a book called horror doesn't mean it has to be filled with graphic images. In fact for the longest time a good horror movie means you don't see what happened.

Not every book has to push the limits, but the good books fill in gaps that need to be filled.

ArcLite said:
[*] I know bandwidth is always an issue as well as keeping copyrighted material safe but can we get bigger pictures of the covers? I know this is a tiny thing in the grand scheme of things but it would be nice.
[*] Will there be an OGL Space book? You guys make some great material and to have a book dedicated towards space would be fabulous.
[*] Will there be or could there be an OGL Western book?
[*] Is the OGL horror book PG rated or leaning more towards R rated? I understand Wizards doesn't like anyone (Except themselves :p ) to publish more adult oriented material, so I'm wondering just how far you guys took it? Of course I could add all kinds of gory stuff later myself but I'm trying to get an idea ahead of time before I decide to purchase the book how much work I'll need to do.
[*] All of the OGL books fit together rules wise correct? I won't buy one book that has say a specific rule for auto weapons or something of that nature and open up another book and the same item or situation has a completely different rule? They basically all melt together regarding rules?
[/list]

Thank you for your time!

Scott

Hi there,

We have looked at doing OGL Space but I think we'll see how D20 Future turns out first. OGL Wild West will be coming out this year.

As for compatability, I would say they broadly fit together - the rules for automatic weapons are, at this time, the same, but if a setting/genre requires something different, that is what we will do!

Okay, with horror I know there are supposed to be some 'supernatural' elements. Would it be possible to eliminate them from the game, such as like D20 modern doesn't require you to use the magic rules if you don't want to?
Will this be the same for Ancients and Wild West? I am fairly interested, but I think that making magic and supernatural phenomena an integral part of the ruleset will likely put me off.
So yeah, an answer to that would be nice.

edit: I just read the entry for OGL ancients then, and I think I have answered my own question. But if there is anything to be added, then I would like to know.

Hi there,

A solid yes for this one - these rulebooks are designed to be modular in nature, so you can use the bits and pieces you want. For examp,e, OGL Ancients, from the outset, was designed to be played 'historically' or as 'myth' with all the fabulous creatures and gods thrown in.

bubbalin said:
Okay, with horror I know there are supposed to be some 'supernatural' elements. Would it be possible to eliminate them from the game, such as like D20 modern doesn't require you to use the magic rules if you don't want to?

All of the rules for spellcasting, rituals, psychic abilities, and faith described as optional in OGL Horror, or you can pick and choose which of these elements you wish to include in your particular campaign. One example given in the book - if the PCs are up against zombies created by some chemical agent and industrial accident, it might not be appropriate to let faith powers work against these zombies (turning effects etc.).

Excellent. :)
You'll definately be getting some of my money when I have it. :)
Hehe, this is ambitious isn't it. :)

Now I just have to find some people to play it with...

Thanks to Everyone at Mongoose for taking the time to answer my questions.

Matthew, Thank you for answering with some great info.
I'm really looking forward to the Western and the Futures (and hopefully Space!).

Is there any more info on the OGL Futures if possible?

I only get to check this forum every once in a while so if you've already posted info on it sorry about that.

Thanks again.

Scott

Back