A couple of dumb questions on a few random things...

taylor

Mongoose
With the character concepts in the Hyboria's series, are they designed to be complete character concepts, or normal classes that can be mixed with others? For example, Bob is the local hard nut around town, who, after beating people up for a few years, becomes a soldier, before earning a commission into the nobility.
He ends up at level 10 with 6 levels in brawler (soldier/barbarian), 3 levels in plain soldier and 1 level of noble.
Or is it more accurate to simply say he is a lvl6 soldier, lvl3 barbarian, lvl 1 noble?

Another example. Frank is a lvl 2 scholar. He decides to join the military, and becomes a lvl 3 soldier. Upon attaining his 3rd level in soldier, can he take the intuitive master instead of a formation combat style, or does he have to declare from the start he is a complative (soldier/scholar)? If so, could he declare at lvl6 that he is becoming a complative?

Cheers guys. :)

Or is it more accurate to simply say he is a lvl6 soldier, lvl3 barbarian, lvl 1 noble?

Correct. The 'Brawler' is not a class so much as a suggestion for how you can build a soldier/barbarian to MAKE a 'brawler-type character.'

Upon attaining his 3rd level in soldier, can he take the intuitive master instead of a formation combat style, or does he have to declare from the start he is a complative (soldier/scholar)? If so, could he declare at lvl6 that he is becoming a complative?

I would say that it depends on the campaign and your style as a DM.

Somewhere in the books (or on this board?) Vincent Darlage said to use these things without too much self-imposed restriction.

In case, I'm quoting him incorrectly: it's at least the way I handle these things. :wink:

Right. Those are just possible builds. Use the charts loosely. An additional class or three shouldn't bother the build (and in some cases, it may enhance the concept). Conan was a barbarian no matter what class he took - thus, a brawler is a brawler if he identifies himself as such.

The variant abilities can be taken with any class combo so long as the pre-reqs are met and the GM allows it.

The class combos are meant to get the creative juices flowing, not to be a creative straight-jacket.

Back