5 points raid idea.

Stonehorse

Mongoose
My favourite looking ship is the Earth Alliance Nova Dreadnought, it's what made me select Earth Alliance.

So my crazy idea is to field 5 of them in a 5 point raid, as each carries 4 Starfuries if the date is right I could upgrade them to Thunderbolts. 20 Flight flights is nothing to sniff at.

plus if I can get a ship in all 5 broadside arcs I'd bet good money on that ship not lasting long.

Would it work, or is it just too fun not to try?

Actually I was thinking along the same lines but using 2 Novas back up with other ships. The problem is they are slow and then you have to close fast enough to shoot.

With 5 Novas working together I don't think anyone wants to be caught in the crossfire.

Freakishly mis- rated support ships notwithstanding, the fluff suggests that for a very long period, up until the influx of new tech purchased at war- profiteer prices from the Narn, the Nova was Earth's mainstay battle unit.
Of course that has just been completely retconned out of validity, and we now have Traveller's first through ninth interstellar wars, Solomani-Vilani, with Earth's independence and eventual dominance ensured by missile boats.
(No, I don't like the new Sagittarius.)
Monoclonal fleets magnify the chosen ship's weaknesses as well as it's strengths, and for the Nova that's short engagement range and low speed.
As the opposing player, I'd hang back probably, use main guns and knock down as much of the fighter swarm as possible, eliminate them, then try to move to an edge, find the outlying Nova and group fire on it, roll them up one at a time; or with a fast attack fleet like the Dilgar, storm forward and start murdering Novas before they could get their fighters out.
The Nova can do well against some overelaborate fleets that depend on specials, and against some league that are as straightforward as itself, but you're not going to control pace and place. About all you can is your own formation, and you'll be lucky to react fast enough to reform for mutual support against what actually comes at you.
Two of them with appropriate backup should work, three is about as far as I'd dare to go.

OK as a newbie I have bought my first Mini - an EA Omega Destroyer.

What would you use to make a 5 point raid list with this ship

Omega - 2 points

fluffy05 said:

Omega - 2 points

The Omega uses a bore sighted weapon. You need to make the ship move last, so I would use 9 Hermes or 6 skirmish level ships.

Calistan said:
fluffy05 said:

Omega - 2 points

The Omega uses a bore sighted weapon. You need to make the ship move last, so I would use 9 Hermes or 6 skirmish level ships.

How about

1 Omega
1 Oracle Scout
4 Olympus

You'll have trouble against Centauri/Minbari fleets, or any fleet equipped with long ranged beams. Hull 5 is nice but vulnerable to SAP, DD, Precise, etc.

As for using Nova lasers versus pulse against hull 6, that requires your entire fleet to get within 8". At a Nova's speed that could take a while.

To support a single Omega, in a 5pt Raid game-
apart from that I simply wouldn't have one there in the first place-
I'd spend one point on a Hermes and two Missile Tethys. No fighters, and the rounds it carries aren't individually as capable, but it's more agile and hits a lot harder than the Hermes.
I'd spend the other two points on skirmishers to play hammer to the Omega's anvil, probably two and two Olympus and Artemis. Most people would say four Olympus, but I've got good use out of the fore and aft railguns of the little bricks in close fights.
Depending on the opposition, though, I might take a Hyperion instead of the two Artemis, if there was anything that needed a second set of lasers.

I have to agree with SNJ that the Artemis can be a great addition to the battle line. Of course, if your so enamored of the Nova that you're thinking of taking 5 of them, consider an Abbai fleet.

Calistan said:
Scouts are better in larger engagements, so I would use something else. The chronus is a better choice.

in 5 point raids i think scouts are useful, especially with EA as they cant CAF and Boresight so you can use a scout to get the re-rolls (and you still get to shoot at other ships so in some ways doing it that way is better)

for a 5 point Raid, I'd probably consider:

Omega, Nova, Hyperion, 2 of Artemis/Olympus/Saggitarius*/Oracle*

* I think these drop to Skirmish under Armageddon, so in the meantime Artemis/Olympus.

fluffy05 said:

Omega - 2 points

If I recall correctly, I faced a 5 pt Raid fleet in the recent Armagerddon tournament sing the new Armageddon points breakdown which was:

1 Omega
2 Olympus (1 Raid point= 2 Skirmish ships)
1 Olympus, 2 Hermes ( 1Raid point = 1 Skirmish and 2 Raid points)
1 Olympus, 2 Hermes ( 1Raid point = 1 Skirmish and 2 Raid points)

Total 1 Omega, 4 Olympus, 4 Hermes.

It was Greg Smith and it was 3rd Age EA lists

LBH

Using `old style SFOS`, i used the Omega in the following 5 raid

1 Omega PULSE Destroyer
1 Nova Dreadnought

this gives a 12" square kill zone of 24 to the front, and 20 to sides and back... thats LOTS of twin linked goodness on 5 raid AND 8 fighters for free

2 Hermes and 1 Thetys Missile Boat

gives you 2 extra fighters and no-one pays attention to the tiny Thetys. Mine is christened `manuel` and has gotten the habbit for ne to yell Fuego Fuego when it fires

1 Olympus and 1 Artemis

Back up rail gun goodness

im surprised to see someone using the Omega Pulse varient, none of the local EA players would touch that ship. i can see it has its uses but i personally would prefer to use 2 Nova's instead of 1 Omega

Back