5 point Narn Fleet

Are the Narn the greatest race ever?

• Definately!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Of course!

• Is there any doubt?

• Long live the Regime! Death to the fan heads!

• I'm a fan head and destined to be killed by the great and wonderful Narn.

• Total voters

Celisasu

Mongoose
I haven't gone to a tournament(I hope to be able to relatively soon). Anyways assuming the 5 point raid tournaments that they're currently setting I was thinking of going with a fleet made up of 10 Narn skirmish level ships. Currently I'd like to try out(note I haven't done so, I just want to do so) under the tournament rules a fleet consisting:

Thentus x3
Ka'Toc x3
G'Karith x2
Sho'Kar x2

This seems like it'd give me a nice mix of stuff. In theory I'd probably have the Thentus placed at the fore of my fleet for their hull 5 with the G'Karith(anti-fighter, nibble at stealth ships) and Sho'Kar's being specifically set up according to what I'm facing(Hopefully with seven fighter flights and two Sho'Kars I can get a scan on Minbari ships). The Ka'Tocs serving as the the heavy hitters. This would give me seven flights of fighters as well if I needed them. With the exception of the Ka'Tocs they all have 2/45 for turn giving me some pretty good maneuverability. As noted, tactics would be based on what I'm facing. This fleet operates on the assumption that I could see almost anything. Obviously if I knew exactly what I was facing I would make some changes in the fleet. Opinions? Suggestions? I've had the game awhile but I've only played a few times(and not at all since I got the Sky Full of Stars book) so I'd still count as a beginner. I'm also thinking of replacing a Thentus for a fourth Ka'Toc.

The only thing I would worry about is the relaively low damage the ships have as big beams can rip through Hull 5 ships in a matter of a couple of turns and the hull 4 ones are even more prey to this. It is worth having at least one or two riad shipsto saok up damage and offer a harder target to knock out, i.e more resilient to damage.

what bothers me is not the weak hulls, every fleet has them, but what was done to emines in SFOS. Ok, I can see why emines shouldn't cause criticals, but the -1 to the damage roll means that a 1 or 2 does no damage at all. So 33% of hits are negated. That seems a bit over the top considering that they will never do extra damage or crew loss from crits.

Other than that, they rock!

Now here is a question I was just asked.

Centauri are Fan Heads, Minbari are Bone Heads, what are Narn?

Right Hand of God said:
what bothers me is not the weak hulls, every fleet has them, but what was done to emines in SFOS. Ok, I can see why emines shouldn't cause criticals, but the -1 to the damage roll means that a 1 or 2 does no damage at all. So 33% of hits are negated. That seems a bit over the top considering that they will never do extra damage or crew loss from crits.

Yeah I am right with you, the e-mine was a good weapon before and gave the Narn an excellent chance of doing neasty damage. Sure I can understand the no critical rule but a bit nasty saying a 2 doesn't do damage either. Since the change I do play ships with e-mines a lot less :cry: and The dag'Kar which was a previously normal mainstay ship in my fleet is now a rarity.

have only just started playing with my narn fleet, 3 games, 3 wins, and my Dag Kars have survived everygame. The fact that they no longer do crits seems to make them less of a target which has allowed me to get up close with them and unleash shipbreakers relatively unmolested :twisted:

It really is that 1 and 2 doing no damage that hacks me off though, thats being punished twice for writing, what in my opinion, is a lazy rule. I would like to know if they actually thought about that effect when they decided that they couldn''t do crits, or just thought.....right crits on a 6, so -1 to the damage roll means no crits, sorted..... without giving any further thought as to what happens at the other end of the table.

Right Hand of God said:
have only just started playing with my narn fleet, 3 games, 3 wins, and my Dag Kars have survived everygame. The fact that they no longer do crits seems to make them less of a target which has allowed me to get up close with them and unleash shipbreakers relatively unmolested :twisted:

It really is that 1 and 2 doing no damage that hacks me off though, thats being punished twice for writing, what in my opinion, is a lazy rule. I would like to know if they actually thought about that effect when they decided that they couldn''t do crits, or just thought.....right crits on a 6, so -1 to the damage roll means no crits, sorted..... without giving any further thought as to what happens at the other end of the table.

Thats an interesting thing about the Dag'Kars..i hadn't thought about that..because people kinda seem them as lame ducks and those ship breakers are nasty!! they could be pretty good, do you load up fully with ship breakers or do you include standard ones in there too?

I too fully understand and your fustration atthe new e-mine rules, should of simply said ignore crit hits and count simply as normal damage.

Every ship I take that has more than 1 emine system I take half normal emines and half shipbreakers. So for the Dagkar thats 2 lots of shipbreakers, 8 super AP double damage........yummy. In a big enuff game, and we like big games, I put two in a squadron and a third on it's own. ok so they don't move that fast, but you can't afford to stand off from a narn fleet can you, and when they get in range....oh dear your poor Warlock/Primus/Shadow.... :wink:

And yep I agree 100% just saying they can't do crits would have been good enough and perfectly fair too I think.

Right Hand of God said:
And yep I agree 100% just saying they can't do crits would have been good enough and perfectly fair too I think.

You could suggest it as a house rule for your group ( just don't mention beams to your friend! :wink: )

Nah, I am the only one with emine weapons so that wouldn't really be fair. And as I said before, it does keep fire away from my Dag Kars. Anyway, it's not like the Narn don't have access to other really kick ass ships is it :twisted:

Morgoth said:
The only thing I would worry about is the relaively low damage the ships have as big beams can rip through Hull 5 ships in a matter of a couple of turns and the hull 4 ones are even more prey to this. It is worth having at least one or two riad shipsto saok up damage and offer a harder target to knock out, i.e more resilient to damage.

Yeah, I thought about that but the only hull 6 raid ship is the Rongoth and it's firepower isn't all that much better than a skirmish ship. The T'Loth seems to pack a bit better punch and more damage although it has that lower hull score. Still it might be worth trying a fleet where I remove a Sho'Kar and Thentus and replace it with a Rongoth or T'Loth and see how the change does. I think I'd favor the T'Loth since I prefer bigger guns plus it's a bit faster than a Rongoth which could make a difference at times. Or perhaps replace a Sho'Kar and G'Karith. Testing is needed. Too bad this can't be played online. :)

Centauri are Fan Heads, Minbari are Bone Heads, what are Narn?

The Great Maker's Gift to the Universe. :wink:

As for E-Mines, I'm dissapointed in what was done to them. They didn't need weak. Just not being able to inflict criticals was enough. I didn't even consider the Dag'Kar as a huge battery of E-Mines just wasn't worth it's priority level. Especially with that hull 4. If someone realizes the Dag'Kar has been decked out with ship breakers it'll die extremely fast. Now I mostly see E-Mines as fighter clearance and a way to harrass ships with stealth or dodge if they can't do their proper duty of blowing away fighters. Perhaps on heavier ships like a G'Quan I can go ahead and toss something in like ship breakers or ionic burst mines. At this point though I've only used standard e-mines. And sadly the G'Karith has pulsar mines, not E-mines. :( No customizing my mines there. At least I can fire every turn with the pulsar mines though.

I don't know if anyone's realized this, but variant emines aren't in the tournament pack narn special rules - even short charge are gone.

Chern

Chernobyl said:
I don't know if anyone's realized this, but variant emines aren't in the tournament pack narn special rules - even short charge are gone.

Chern
Guess that's the killing blow to the Dag'Kar then. A pair of G'Karith's become a better choice since they have two hulls giving redundancy, aren't slow firing, and the Dag'Kar can't even claim a high hull or damage score to offset things. Plus when they get in close they get a bunch of attack dice that the Dag'Kar doesn't. The only loss is the lack of Ion Torpedoes. Plus they're faster, more maneuverable, and carry two flights of Frazi's between them that the Dag'Kar doesn't have even one of. So why would we take the Dag'Kar in a tournament now?

Celisasu said:
As for E-Mines, I'm dissapointed in what was done to them. They didn't need weak. Just not being able to inflict criticals was enough.

E-mines didn't become Weak (which is -1 to all AD rolled against a hull score) they got a -1 on the damage table. A quite different change.

Just to keep things clear.

LBH

Celisasu said:
Chernobyl said:

Chern
Guess that's the killing blow to the Dag'Kar then. A pair of G'Karith's become a better choice since they have two hulls giving redundancy, aren't slow firing, and the Dag'Kar can't even claim a high hull or damage score to offset things. Plus when they get in close they get a bunch of attack dice that the Dag'Kar doesn't. The only loss is the lack of Ion Torpedoes. Plus they're faster, more maneuverable, and carry two flights of Frazi's between them that the Dag'Kar doesn't have even one of. So why would we take the Dag'Kar in a tournament now?

I must admit I would be inclined to take the two G'Karith option too.

Back