2 editions of MGT

wynteriii

Mongoose
I heard something about 2 editons of the MGT HC core rules. The first has a bunch of errors apparently. How can I confirm that I'll get a second edition book online and not on the Mongoose website?

There is no "Second Edition", the books that are second edition say so on the cover. What you want is the second Printing which has some very nice art, it matches the artwork in the LBB Core Rule Book.

In the first printing the art in the Careers section was downright horrible.

I just checked my book (which I purchased direct from Mongoose), it is what you want but no indication of what printing it is (outside of the artwork). I think they are out of the first printing.

Hope this helps.

ShawnDriscoll said:
The newer printing removes some of the text to make room for the newer art.
Hadn't noticed that... talk about missing my 'Perception' check.

Wait! MGT doesn't *have* a 'Perception' check!

*face palm* :mrgreen:

Some of the missing text was fluff. But I prefer fluff. :) And I eventually got used to the bad art in the 1st printing. I like it a lot more than the art used in the Zhodani book.

I believe the 2nd printing has the revised character sheet which has the Traveller Logo at the bottom right.

GamerDude said:
ShawnDriscoll said:
The newer printing removes some of the text to make room for the newer art.
Hadn't noticed that... talk about missing my 'Perception' check.

Wait! MGT doesn't *have* a 'Perception' check!

*face palm* :mrgreen:

That would normally be Recon/Int, but, since we're talking about looking for specific information (differences between versions), I think I might go with Investigate/Int in this case. :D

nDervish said:
That would normally be Recon/Int, but, since we're talking about looking for specific information (differences between versions), I think I might go with Investigate/Int in this case. :D
For general discussion - I considered Recon, but that is a bit more tactical (looking at a location/structure for tactical weakness and such) and not every career has a chance to train in it. I was looking for the generic "Spot/Listen" check, not being tactically focused but more "I've learn to be more attentive to my more immediate surrooundings"

So I just give everyone a "Recon - 0" in their skills and it's now a skill check like any other "Recon/Int (Or Wis)". Just a personal thing.

ShawnDriscoll said:
allanimal said:
How do I know if I have bad art or good art?

Ha ha. We're going to need an art committee for this.

I suppose you could turn to page 30 (The Scholar career) and see if there's a woman dressed inappropriately for a classroom environment in the lower right hand corner. ("These are the clothes... of a younger woman, wouldn't you say?")

hdan said:
I suppose you could turn to page 30 (The Scholar career) and see if there's a woman dressed inappropriately for a classroom environment in the lower right hand corner. ("These are the clothes... of a younger woman, wouldn't you say?")

My edition has no art on page 30. But on page 31, there is a cyberpunk goth-looking chick. The VR glasses she is wearing makes her look like a scholar.

ShawnDriscoll said:
hdan said:

My edition has no art on page 30. But on page 31, there is a cyberpunk goth-looking chick. The VR glasses she is wearing makes her look like a scholar.
First *PRINTING* that is....

There is no *second edition*. Matt has started conversations about doing a second edition but there isn't one.

TTBOMK The only "second edition" in the Traveller line is Supplement 1:760 Patrons

hdan said:
ShawnDriscoll said:
allanimal said:
How do I know if I have bad art or good art?

Ha ha. We're going to need an art committee for this.

Ok, I have in my book what you describe. Is that what people call the good art or the bad art?

GamerDude said:
TTBOMK The only "second edition" in the Traveller line is Supplement 1:760 Patrons

That's the only one that calls itself a second edition, at least. But there's also the combination of Supplement 5: Civilian Vehicles and Supplement 6: Military Vehicles into Supplement 5-6: Vehicle Handbook with a complete overhaul of the vehicle creation system. Personally, I'd call that a "second edition", even if those words aren't on the cover.

allanimal said:
Ok, I have in my book what you describe. Is that what people call the good art or the bad art?

Yes. Your book has what people call the good art. The 2nd printing of the Core Rulebook (and only copy of the PDF?).

Anyway, you would know if you saw the original art. :)

nDervish said:
That's the only one that calls itself a second edition, at least. But there's also the combination of Supplement 5: Civilian Vehicles and Supplement 6: Military Vehicles into Supplement 5-6: Vehicle Handbook
I think it didn't get labeled "second edition" because of the two books being combined into one, ISBN barcoding and such.

Don't quote me on it though

Back