Zamoran Names

Trying to develop a detailed NPC listing. Looking for names for Zamora and Shadizar. The ROK source book lists the names as using either a Spanish or Ukrainian flavor. Does anyone use Middle Eastern names for their PC and NPC's? I have other sources that point to Zamora being more of an arid Middle-Eastern culture.

High Lord Dee said:
Trying to develop a detailed NPC listing. Looking for names for Zamora and Shadizar. The ROK source book lists the names as using either a Spanish or Ukrainian flavor. Does anyone use Middle Eastern names for their PC and NPC's? I have other sources that point to Zamora being more of an arid Middle-Eastern culture.

What sources are those?

We always used Turkish names for Zamorans in the past...Akhun, Alparslan, Balaban, Kamuran...etc.

Teflon Billy said:
High Lord Dee said:

What sources are those?

We always used Turkish names for Zamorans in the past...Akhun, Alparslan, Balaban, Kamuran...etc.

Other than the Mongoose Conan RPG Handbook? Check out page 36. I also have the old GURPS Conan stuff. They recommend using Middle Eastern or Greek?

I have been using a mix of spanish and ukranian names, as far to many countries seem to be using middle eastern names as it is.

Out of interest what origin are Zamoran names from the Shadizar boxed set?

Steve

It seems to me (the attested Zamorian names are too few to be sure) that Zamora contains an element which has nothing to do with any historical culture but is a wholly fantastic strand derived, perhaps, from ancient Zarfhaana.

Boreas said:
Try 20000-names.com

Names for Africa - or so the saying goes... :D

Great source. Not the easiest to print out the names and no option to download them but after a few hours, I have most of them. Combine these names with the pre-generated NPC tables and you have an infinite source available at your finger tips.

Unfortunately, the Ukranian female names are the rarest with only 16. The Spanish female names are listed over 5 pages. I will use them both.

Thanks again!

HLD

Trodax said:
High Lord, any chance of you posting the name lists you put together?
They sound like a spiffy resource.

Go out to the 20000-NAMES.com site. Unfortunately, I could not download them. I only have hard copy and not very efficient at that. Each name is double spaced and it holds about 35 names per page....

Vincent791 said:
I can't believe you people jump at me for a comment like that in a board like this! :roll:

:wink:

I've got nothing against Zamoran wenches, personally. However I suppose I lean more toward the saucy Brythunian lasses. :wink: :D

I took a look around the site 20000-names.com, esp. at the listing of Latin names. Some of them do not look all too Latin, and a few may be of doubtful etymology. I tend to be a perfectionist, so I wouldn't personally use some of the names from this site. However, if being exact is not necessary for Conan RPGers, I suppose these will do.

Vincent791 said:
I can't believe you people jump at me for a comment like that in a board like this! :roll:

Yogah of Yag said:
I've got nothing against Zamoran wenches, personally. However I suppose I lean more toward the saucy Brythunian lasses. :wink: :D

*Sigh* Fanboys and their dreams. What can you do? 8)

Raven Blackwell said:
Vincent791 said:

Yogah of Yag said:

*Sigh* Fanboys and their dreams. What can you do? 8)

Well bless my big, floppy, elephantine ears! Is Raven on the warpath with me now?! :shock:

No, no- just noting that unattainable dreams might seem more tempting than attainable reality- but reality can be achieved, thus causing less frustration who seek what is possible.

Back