Yet Another Ship Poll - The Octurion

What's wrong with the Octurion?

• Nothing, it's fine as it is

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's undergunned - needs either more AD on the guns it has or more weapon lines

• It needs more defences, give it some interceptors or some other defensive measure

• It struggles to damage high-hull targets and as a battleship it should be able to kill other battles

• Some other opinion - specify below

• Total voters
So just two weapon lines, then? A Primus writ large? I think that might work, but it ought to have a little something extra up front. Maybe a plasma accelerator á la the Centurion and Vorchan, or a plasma stream?

I would like it to have 24" range on the Beams and a couple of interceptors - even if that means losing a few AD elsewhere.

:)

Actually I would also like another War level option but thats being a bit greedy given the gaps / weak ships in other races

I'm loooking at the Fireraptor !

Lord David the Denied said:
So just two weapon lines, then? A Primus writ large? I think that might work, but it ought to have a little something extra up front. Maybe a plasma accelerator á la the Centurion and Vorchan, or a plasma stream?

essentially yes, a bigger Primus. It is what it looks like :p

18´´ F-Arc, 6AD, B, P

switch to

24´´ F-Arc, 6AD, B, P, DD

The Beams are the Matchwinner in acta 2nd Edition. (imo)

CU

Personally I'd like to see the inconsistency with beam ranges sorted out, either bring all of them up on raid PL or higher to 24 inches, or bring them all down to 18 but gain an extra AD. To that end I'd be happy to see the beam range stay at 18 but gain another AD or two, and regain its aft laser, as I think it really suffers there.

I quite liked the idea of the heavy ion cannon being an assault based weapon system, for use on planetary targets, so with that in mind I'd quite like to see the octurion gain a plasma accelerator to the fore. Other than that I think rest of the weapon stats are fine. I could live without interceptors but in that case I think it needs at least 1 extra point of AF.

Thats my two-penneth for what its worth.

Da Boss, I'm also working on a non-cannon centauri war-level ship, more in line with post Emperor Cotto drakh inspired tech progression. When I'm ready to release to the wider world I'll let you know. I may even make you one. :wink:

Some interesting views so far. I actually quite like Emperor Penguin's suggestion of dropping the matter cannons completely and changing the ion cannons to heavy ion cannons with more dice. I like the idea of a plasma accelerator in the front arc as well. That'd solve my complaints with the ship, basically.

Centauri_Admiral said:
Personally I'd like to see the inconsistency with beam ranges sorted out, either bring all of them up on raid PL or higher to 24 inches, or bring them all down to 18 but gain an extra AD. To that end I'd be happy to see the beam range stay at 18 but gain another AD or two, and regain its aft laser, as I think it really suffers there.

I quite liked the idea of the heavy ion cannon being an assault based weapon system, for use on planetary targets, so with that in mind I'd quite like to see the octurion gain a plasma accelerator to the fore. Other than that I think rest of the weapon stats are fine. I could live without interceptors but in that case I think it needs at least 1 extra point of AF.

Thats my two-penneth for what its worth.

Da Boss, I'm also working on a non-cannon centauri war-level ship, more in line with post Emperor Cotto drakh inspired tech progression. When I'm ready to release to the wider world I'll let you know. I may even make you one. :wink:

Cool I look forward to it Sir :) Be interesting to see your choices............

I presume you saw my Cari class (Primus with Drakh tech) :)

I don't think there is anything wrong with the amount or type of the Octurian's firepower. What it needs is longer range on the battle laser. Up the range to 24" and you are about OK IMHO.

The battle laser needs to reach out farther... reduce the AD on the Ion Cannons and make them AP/SAP. It's not a fast or whirly ship so rounding out the firing arcs would be good.

Balance-wise I think it's fine. It's not a ship to kill other high-PL ships but against multiple smaller vessels it does brilliantly.

If people think this isn't the role it should play then by all means, make suggestions. It may be serving the wrong role but I just don't think it's underpowered.

I've already done just that, noble playtester... :p

As a battleship (and our recently-converted naval scholar BuShips will back me on this, I'm certain) its role should be the destruction of other battleships. Battleships don't exist to punch below their weight - battlecruisers tended to do that - they exist to duke it out with others of their own class. Battleships smash each other while the light units (cruisers, destroyers, etc) shield them from the attacks of other light units.

These traditional roles are blurred a bit in B5, and the Centauri seem to view things a bit differently, using their capital assets to create "no-go" areas to drive enemy units into the teeth of the hunting packs of Vorchans, Darkners, and so on - but to do that they need the guns to frighten enemy capital ships. I don't think the Octurion can really do that. Something like a G'Quan or Omega can hold the range and beam the thing to death. It can't even effectively defend itself from concentrated fighter attacks.

Lord David the Denied said:
These traditional roles are blurred a bit in B5, and the Centauri seem to view things a bit differently, using their capital assets to create "no-go" areas to drive enemy units into the teeth of the hunting packs of Vorchans, Darkners, and so on - but to do that they need the guns to frighten enemy capital ships. I don't think the Octurion can really do that. Something like a G'Quan or Omega can hold the range and beam the thing to death. It can't even effectively defend itself from concentrated fighter attacks.

I agree with much of this assessment, although the fighter weakness is an intended Centauri design weakness

I'd go for the beam to range 24, and swapping out the Ion Cannon/Matter Cannon for Heavy Ion cannons. I may actually use one, then.

I am doing this on behalf of Tank, at the behest of a Centauri player. Tank does not care as he hates the Centauri...

Back