Wrath of the Ancients: Errata

Nuke16

Mongoose
Page 32: 1st paragraph. "requiring 2D minutes to reseal a one mete square area." Should be "meter" but might be better worded as "reseal a one square meter area".

Previous titles that both used the new book design and deferred the table of contents to page 2 (or 3) placed a big Mongoose logo on page 1 where the ToC usually goes; this would be a nice tradition to continue. (Otherwise that's quite a bit of dead air there.)

Page 51, 2nd column, 1st paragraph.

"Its materials could be harvested for reuse and perhaps reformed in situ into a smaller vessel by someone with the Form ability.

I think "in situ" should be removed?

I have been looking at the chapter called the "Uplift Process", starts on page 38 and ends on page 48, and I have a few comments.

On page 46 there is the "Mass Ritual" Special Ability. I know it is a more powerful version of the "Ritual" ability on page 47 but is it wholly separate or not. When you do the basic Ritual check, as described on page 47, do you use the level of Ritual to do the check and then include/apply the number of people based on the Mass Ritual level or is the Mass Ritual level used for both. If the latter is true then I think the last sentence of the "Mass Ritual" description should end with "equal to the user's Mass Ritual level" rather than "equal to the user's Ritual level".

On page 48, the "Telesperimentation" description has no mention of what the level of Telesperimentation changes. This is despite the fact that when mentioned in the "Knowledge Package 2" on page 41 and the "Facilitation Package 4" on page 43, Telesperimentation is given the level modifier "+2". Likewise the "Impose" special ability on page 45 makes no mention of level despite "Knowledge Package 2" on page 41 mentioning "Impose +1", I assume that the level is used on the DM to attack someone with the psychic nightmare.

I am confused by a few of the skill check modifying Special Abilities (I apologise if this is me just being stupid). I just want to be sure that I am getting these right. So "Fighter", on page 45, add the level of Fighter on any close combat weapon a traveller possess only if the fighter already has skill levels in that weapon and otherwise treats the Traveller as having skill level 0 in all close combat weapons the Traveller does not have any skill levels in. "Life Savant", on page 46, adds its level to any check on "tasks related to medicine, biology, biochemistry or any other field connected to living things" regardless of whether the Traveller has any levels in the related skill or not, and treats the Traveller as having skill level 0 if they do not have any related skill levels. "Omni-Science", on page 46, applies its level to any endeavour related to "any field of knowledge" regardless of whether the Traveller has any relevant skill level and does not apply skill level 0 if they do not have the skill levels, which means that the Traveller will still suffer the DM-3, on top of the modifier from Omni-Science, for being unskilled. Finally, "Shooter", on page 47, acts like "Life Savant" in that it treats the Traveller as having skill level 0 in all Gun Combat or Heavy Weapons checks, if they are not already higher, and adds its level as a bonus to all checks. This is at least how I am interpreting what is written but I am unsure but I would like clarification (in particular on whether "Shooter" acts like "Fighter" or "Life Savant").

On a related note, this is not technically an error but I would change it, you can look at "General Enhancements" on page 43. The first bullet point says that you can "increase any characteristic by +2", I would not allow players to increase Social Standing that way. Otherwise you could end up with Travellers with a SOC in the twenties and, considering that Emperor Strephon Aella Alkhalikoi has SOC 17, I presume that would make the Traveller the Supreme Ruler of all of Charted Space by the end of the adventure.

I thank you for your time and will let you know if I find anything else I am confused by.

Edit: Fixed a minor typo.

Last edited:
Wrath of the Ancients, pg 33-35 describes using the 'Impose' ability. It can cause psionic nightmares, draining sanity from the victim or entirely destroying their identity and allowing the attacker to rewrite the victim's mind into one of a loyal servitor -- this is detailed in the text. However, there is also this: 'A less unpleasant version of the same power can be used to convey information.' This is described as: 'For those sensitive to the effect, this is a flawless way to transmit information.' and: 'When the recipient’s mindset and preconceptions closely match those of the creator of trigger artwork or provider of information the transfer is harmless and highly productive. For others, the process is more complex.'

Great.

What the heck does it actually do? Does each incident grant an experience point? A full skill level? Change an attribute? Provide precise coordinates to a particular jump-destination? Remind the recipient to pick up a dozen eggs on the way home from work? Grant a psionic talent? Unlock a step in an uplift path?

Given that this is probably the method used by the ancients to do all of the above, but players should have somewhat lesser abilities, what are the actual parameters here?

Back