Wizards Ralph Bakshi RPG

tetsuo

Mongoose
Any chance on Mongoose doing a Runequest or D20 adaptation of this excellent setting?

As I know there are only two RPGs in existence set in Wizards:

1. Wizards RPG by Whit Publications, horrible rpg in my opinion.

2. Fireland(K Society): Heavilly advertised in the Dragon magazine during the 80s but was never published. Sounded like it was inspired by Ralph Bakshi's Wizards.

Excellent setting btw.

tetsuo said:
Any chance on Mongoose doing a Runequest or D20 adaptation of this excellent setting?

As I know there are only two RPGs in existence set in Wizards:

1. Wizards RPG by Whit Publications, horrible rpg in my opinion.

2. Fireland(K Society): Heavilly advertised in the Dragon magazine during the 80s but was never published. Sounded like it was inspired by Ralph Bakshi's Wizards.

Excellent setting btw.

Could you give us some more info :) please?

tetsuo said:
1. Wizards RPG by Whit Publications

Oh, so very hard to find these days. I happened upon said game by chance in '99 when I was in the hospital for surgery (strange place to find an RPG).

This was my first encounter with this weird and bizarre, but yet somewhat amusing setting.

It used to be possible to find info on the game and the setting by googling for "Ralph Bakshi" or "Ralph Bakshi's Wizards". But that seems no longer possible.

You guys never watched the movie Wizards directed by Ralph Bakshi???

Here are a few links to what it is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076929/

Basically here's the plot of the movie:

Millions of years have passed since nuclear war annihilated almost all life on the planet Earth. Civilization has been eradicated, and the few straggling humans who survive have become deformed mutants, banded together out of desperation. Slowly, the planet begins to heal itself, and after a few millennia, life begins to evolve on the planet again. Nature begins to reassert itself, and slowly, the forgotten forces of the world—the magic, the faeries, the wizards, the elves—begin to reemerge all across the planet.

In the land of Montagar, the kindly wizard Avatar rules the land with generosity and compassion. His is a land of sunshine, rainbows, and waterfalls—a total idyllic paradise. In stark contrast, his brother Blackwolf rules the land of Scorch with an iron fist. His is a land of radiation sickness, uninhabitable wastelands, and ferocious mutants. Blackwolf desires to control the planet and take over Montagar and all other lands, and wages a fierce war against Avatar. The courageous elves and faeries easily defeat the evil wizard, beating the invading army back into their own territory.

Technology has been outlawed for millennia, considered evil—the downfall of ancient society. Blackwolf, in an effort to obtain military superiority, has begun to research, excavate, and harness the ancient war technology in order to conquer the foreign lands. His finds include one horrifying discovery—Nazi propaganda films. These, his most powerful weapons, galvanize his troops into hatred and iron resolve. Soon, Blackwolf's forces sweep the world, casting despair and destruction upon the lands. Avatar, accompanied by a courageous elf and a beautiful faerie princess, sets out across the land, headed into Scorch to confront Blackwolf once and for all, and destroy the mad wizard's propaganda machine before the world is plunged into a darkness from which it could never emerge

Its available on DVD here in North America probably over there in the UK too(though its region 1)

Since the day I came upon the RPG, I have tried to find the movie. However, it is as easy to get hold of as the RPG, which means I am still searching....

Its easier to get hold of the movie than the game by Whit Productions:

To buy the DVD of Wizards you can go to:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0001NBMIK/qid=1149615157/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_11_1/026-3385239-7527627

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001NBMIK/qid=1149615190/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-8753880-0147846?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=130

I highly recomend it since it has excellent audio commentary from Ralph Bakshi himself.

Ralph Bakshi also did the excellent Fire and Ice and the cartoon adaptation of Lord of the Rings(excellent btw).

Oh, I really, really, really hated his LoTR adaptation.

As for the movie, I have ordered it from amazon three times in the span of two years. Know what, two replies about that it was out of stock, and one that never was sent. After a lot of hassle, that order got canceled.
I think I shall keep my opinions about their service to myself.

Unfortunately, I have not found any other place that has the movie (in stock that is) either. It seems it is not a movie that they are making new DVDs with.

I see now, that amazon supposedly has copies in stock, but I do not know if I dare tempt fate again due to earlier dealings...

Archer said:
I see now, that amazon supposedly has copies in stock, but I do not know if I dare tempt fate again due to earlier dealings...
Simple answer: use Amazon Used & New. Buy a second-hand copy for only £4.91. I get virtually all my non-advanced-ordered DVDs from Amazon Used & New.

Wulf

tetsuo said:
You guys never watched the movie Wizards directed by Ralph Bakshi???

Here are a few links to what it is:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076929/

Basically here's the plot of the movie:

Millions of years have passed since nuclear war annihilated almost all life on the planet Earth. Civilization has been eradicated, and the few straggling humans who survive have become deformed mutants, banded together out of desperation. Slowly, the planet begins to heal itself, and after a few millennia, life begins to evolve on the planet again. Nature begins to reassert itself, and slowly, the forgotten forces of the world—the magic, the faeries, the wizards, the elves—begin to reemerge all across the planet.

In the land of Montagar, the kindly wizard Avatar rules the land with generosity and compassion. His is a land of sunshine, rainbows, and waterfalls—a total idyllic paradise. In stark contrast, his brother Blackwolf rules the land of Scorch with an iron fist. His is a land of radiation sickness, uninhabitable wastelands, and ferocious mutants. Blackwolf desires to control the planet and take over Montagar and all other lands, and wages a fierce war against Avatar. The courageous elves and faeries easily defeat the evil wizard, beating the invading army back into their own territory.

Technology has been outlawed for millennia, considered evil—the downfall of ancient society. Blackwolf, in an effort to obtain military superiority, has begun to research, excavate, and harness the ancient war technology in order to conquer the foreign lands. His finds include one horrifying discovery—Nazi propaganda films. These, his most powerful weapons, galvanize his troops into hatred and iron resolve. Soon, Blackwolf's forces sweep the world, casting despair and destruction upon the lands. Avatar, accompanied by a courageous elf and a beautiful faerie princess, sets out across the land, headed into Scorch to confront Blackwolf once and for all, and destroy the mad wizard's propaganda machine before the world is plunged into a darkness from which it could never emerge

Its available on DVD here in North America probably over there in the UK too(though its region 1)

Ummm... I think I will give it a miss.

I did love his LotR cartoon though, the Orcs were great.

Wulf Corbett said:
Archer said:
Simple answer: use Amazon Used & New. Buy a second-hand copy for only £4.91. I get virtually all my non-advanced-ordered DVDs from Amazon Used & New.

Wulf

Ok, guess I will tempt fate again :)

homerjsinnott said:
Ummm... I think I will give it a miss.

I did love his LotR cartoon though, the Orcs were great.

Hmm, I think it had been better if he had avoided using rotoscoping (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotoscope). Beyond that, he cut away too much of the storyline, and the visual style is something that I feel looked clumsy, sketchy, and not really what I have come to associate with Middle Earth (even before the motion pictures).
Boromir with a viking horned helmet? :shock:
And that is just only the beginning.

Still, Ralph Bakshi should get a point for his effort though. Not easy to make LoTR saga into movies, animated or otherwise.

Um...

You can buy a signed DVD off the man's own website:

https://www.ralphbakshi.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3

Ok, so it's a little more expensive than the $2.00 I spent on a videocassette of the movie recently, but hey... it is signed.

There is also a reference to the Wizards RPG in the forums, where it has it's own topic. You'll find the format familiar...

http://www.ralphbakshi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131

Cobra

Cobra said:
Um...

You can buy a signed DVD off the man's own website:

https://www.ralphbakshi.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=3

Ok, so it's a little more expensive than the $2.00 I spent on a videocassette of the movie recently, but hey... it is signed.

There is also a reference to the Wizards RPG in the forums, where it has it's own topic. You'll find the format familiar...

http://www.ralphbakshi.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=131

Cobra

Thank you very much for those links. :D

Back