Will you get 2nd Edition?

Ask your selves these questions -- my answers in ().

1) Can you do it with the first/Atlantean edition (Yes)
2) Does it need to be re-vamped (No - that is called house rules)
3) If you do get it, what are going to do with the other $50.00 book?
4) Do you want to download and PRINT pdf's that convert current rules and stats (No)

Me, I like it the way it is....

I am also planning on purchasing the 2nd Edition of Conan when it comes out. I will keep the Atlantean edition for my players to use in case one of them doesn't have a book. It should work to get them by. 8)

Well Im gonna get the 2nd Ed, Just as long as they dont decide to put out a 2nd, 2nd ed, like the first time... 50 bucks a pop hurts. There wasn't that big of difference between the Conan, and the Atl ed.

GlassJaw said:
If the 2ed book is good, I will get it. Simple as that.

Now, then I will concider it. But with only PDF's of certain portions, how do we actually know what the book contains till we actually get it.

Reviews are good, but not too good at the detail one wants when buying a new edition.

I mean, spending that kind of money for a book (s) is hard pressed for some of us...

I cannot see why Mongoose cannot just come out and tell us what has changed in detail. I mean, we are the consumers...

DasClay said:
Well Im gonna get the 2nd Ed, Just as long as they dont decide to put out a 2nd, 2nd ed, like the first time... 50 bucks a pop hurts. There wasn't that big of difference between the Conan, and the Atl ed.

HERE HERE

I'm not going to preorder it. Odds are pretty good I'm going to get 2nd ed, but only after reading some reviews and discussing it here on the boards. Then I will decide if it's worth it.
To incite me to buy it, there should be enough changes to make it worthwhile, but not so severe changes as to totally change the game experience. Anyway, I only have 1st printing (which is riddled with errors) and a cheap Pocket Edition of the AE, so getting an up-to-date fullsize hardcover is not out of the question.

DasClay said:
Well Im gonna get the 2nd Ed, Just as long as they dont decide to put out a 2nd, 2nd ed, like the first time...

All I can say is that Gar and I are working hard to make sure that the 2nd edition is right first time. I had a little setback this afternoon when I realised that the proofreader was working from the RQ style guide, but nothing I can't fix...

quacking_duck said:
1) Can you do it with the first/Atlantean edition
2) Does it need to be re-vamped
3) If you do get it, what are going to do with the other $50.00 book?
4) Do you want to download and PRINT pdf's that convert current rules and stats

1. Yes, I can cut down a tree with a steak knife, but it doesn't mean it's the best tool for the job.

2. Now, I love the current edition of Conan and play it regularly, but it does have its flaws. If the new edition can fix these and provide some new content (I am always seeking new Conan material) then it's a definite buy for me.

3. Same thing I do with all the old RPG books I have. Keep them on the shelf, flip through them occasionally for inspiration and strolls down memory lane. As some other members have mentioned, they can be used at the table for players that don't have the book themselves. I do that now as I have the original version of the book, the Atlantean edition, and the pocket guide. The hardcovers stay on the player's end of the table and the pocket guide sits behind the screen with me.

4. I actually have supported Mongoose quite a bit as I also own a PDF version of the rules from Drive thru RPG. I like being able to copy and paste into my game notes to avoid book dives during game time. I will most likely do the same when the new edition is available.

I judge my RPG purchases on how often I think I'll use the item. As I have a regular game going with players that are excited about adventuring in the Hyborian Age I'm sure I'll get a ton of use out of it. On top of that, I want to support Mongoose with this line of books. I've enjoyed reading every book purchased in this line to varying degrees. Some books are more useful than others, I have yet to incorporate anything from the "Free Companies" book...yet. But the point is I want more and I hope this line continues successfully.

Yes I'll buy it, but I plan to wait for initial reactions. I don't want another atlantean edition situation

I will most likely buy it, but I want to first make sure it is worth the money. Hopefully, local game store will get a few pieces on the shelf so I can actually browse through it and have a look. Reviews and stuff like that can only give you a certain amount of information. To be worth buying, the 2nd Ed. needs either good fluff or changes in the rules towards a good direction, preferably both. If the rules change in to something more complicated or too simplified - both are equally bad - I'll stick to Atlantean edition. Now, if I were a wealthy guy, I'd buy it anyway out of support. Unfortunately I have too choose what I put my money in to.

I certainly hope there won't be any space wasted on multiclass variants in the new main book, though. I've found most of them to be either pretty useless or gamebreakingly badly designed. For example, the barbarian/thief with the stunning grapple ability is just ridicilous, especially when he gets it in exchange with bite sword!

Ill save my fingers and just say Flatscan said it perfectly. Ill definitely buy it as much to support the product line as to improve my ability to play.

I will get it as soon as I see it. I'm hoping for some specific changes, but even if they don't happen, Mongoose can count on one automatic sale to this customer (I'm such a fanboy!).

Of course, if it stinks I'll be here bitching about it for years to come, reminiscing about "the good old days" with the Atlantean edition, and how gaming in general is not as good as it used to be. :wink:

Another yes. I have waited 30 years since discovering Conan (the 12 edition paperback set) and fantasy roleplaying games. And for the first time it has a dedicated, specific rules system and though my Gurps world books and Hyborian War wallmap served for many years , I collect every book, starting with the third and dont mind new material or reprints. But thats just me.

I'll admit that when they announced a 2nd edition I glanced over to my bookshelf with all of the Conan RPG books dominating a good 35% of the shelf and gulped, thinking "Now what?." But, who am I kidding - I will definitely pickup the 2nd edition. :lol:

Back