Why RuneQuest?

Patadin

Mongoose
As I am just starting to look into RuneQuest I was asked a very simple question...... why would I be looking at a new system (to our group at least) instead of D&D or others.

My answer was that I have had a problem with D&D for a while now because it seems almost more a tabletop mini game. I came across RuneQuest and it looked interesting and from everything I have seen so far, it looks great.

I was just wondering how anyone else would answer the same question.

Thanks,
Pat

It's more realistic, somewhat more streamlined and integrated rules-wise, more flexible (a character can potentially be anything; no classes, levels, XP etc), less generic (e.g. each magic item is a unique creation, or at least should be [with a few exceptions]) and more internally consistent (ideally, all "monsters" fit into myth and local ecology, etc), very gritty, and the game-world (Glorantha) is the best RPG world ever (IMO); richly detailed and fun.

(Wow that was a lot of parentheses [I like them {a lot}])

Dr_Snugglebunny said:
(e.g. each magic item is a unique creation, or at least should be [with a few exceptions])

Umm, it is the Second Age and all (what with the [soon to be released] Clanking City and all [which mass produces magic items {for those who may not know}]).

Jus' saying ( :D )

Rurik said:
Dr_Snugglebunny said:
(e.g. each magic item is a unique creation, or at least should be [with a few exceptions])

Umm, it is the Second Age and all (what with the [soon to be released] Clanking City and all [which mass produces magic items {for those who may not know}]).

Jus' saying ( :D )

I know, I thought about putting that mention in there; it's the exception to the rule (and that's what makes the Clanking City so cool).

Patadin said:
As I am just starting to look into RuneQuest I was asked a very simple question...... why would I be looking at a new system (to our group at least) instead of D&D or others.
What they said above...

(plus)

...the fact that RQ combat almost never feels like a miniatures game and (even in combat) the system encourages roleplaying. Outside of combat the system is much smoother and (again) encourages and eases _roleplaying_ and non-combat interaction.*

Hmm.. I don't think there were enough brackets in this. Sorry guys.

------------------
* I know, anyone can roleplay in any system. Compared with D&D/d20, RQ just seems to ease even the most bloodthirsty players into roleplaying a little more, though.**
** Interestingly, despite being d20, Conan goes a way to encouraging this, too. But it, too, has a strong background, has Vincent and is also (imho) the best implementation of d20 yet.

Well what everyone said above.... but mainly I GMed Call of Cthulhu first for years and got very comfortable with the system. So comfortable I could make things up if needed on the spot without my players knowing any better. So Runequest was a natural step.

I find the following features of Runequest attractive:

* High level characters can be threatened with dangerous weapons -- no "fortress of hit points".

* Supports heroic characters who stand out around from the rest, unlike Call of Cthulhu.

* Supports heroic characters without having to gimp NPCs as games like Exalted do.

* No limits to how far characters can be advanced. Good for immortals.

* Size rules allow more granularity than other systems. Large and small characters will be using different tactics.

* Good rules for hitting the dirt and knocking people around in combat.

* Different magic systems are different, not just variant flavorings around a single system. Allows more flexibility in setting up magical rules.

* Skill system supports specialization as an add-on. Many rules easily support add-on house rules. Good for tinkering.

* Easily adaptable to fantasy, modern, and science fiction settings.

* Provides a change of pace from That Other Role Playing System.

I like D&D. I like Runequest. I intend to use them both.

For nearly two decades we have been playing my own rules which are a percentile based system. This started because when I was first introduced to games like Cyberpunk my gaming heart rejoiced in the fact that we now had skills enough to represent what our character did unlike AD&D where you really had no skills except a few secondary and whatever your "class" gave you. Also, classes made no sense, rising hit points made no sense, etc...

Now I am getting into MRQ because I want to play something that has books... :D I'm tired of my system right now and MRQ is so close it is really scary. But there are enough differences to change the flavor of the mechanics and such, sure I am dumping certain things like the massive skill loss from armor penalties and trying some of the recommded ways on this forum. But the rules are pretty solid and I can once again aquire gaming books which I do with pretty much the same fervor that I collect minis :twisted:

I've never played the other incarnations of Runequest or Heroquest because we were playing my game and for some reason cover art means a lot to me and I never liked the cover art of those games so I never bought them.

As for current D&D I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole, it is like some bastardized interlock game system with random crap thrown into it plus an entire geek reference library of one million and one feats to screw things up even further.

I would play 2nd edition D&D before the 3.5 and I won't be playing either because of the coolness that is MRQ...

-V

Personally, I don't consider MRQ to be "more realistic" than DnD (speaking about realism when you simulate real life actions by throwing dice is as far from realism as you can get, all tabletop RPGs considered, really...), and I don't think DnD is a "tabletop minis game in disguise", so to speak.

I do like MRQ, though, or I wouldn't be here now, would I? ;)

I think MRQ is more rules-light and more adaptive than DnD on some levels. See, DnD provides a precise type of fantasy and entertainment. It has its levels, its classes and prestige classes, and a whole host of rules and sub-rules to play with. It's cool sometimes to have that level of detail and customization, and this precision in the elements of game balance and design. When you are considering like I do that the rules may support the immersion and vivid feeling of a fantasy world (and thus aren't opposites), this can be a great help.

Sometimes, however, you want to be able to just roll some dice and get the game moving. You will not want to spend a lot of time on the tactical aspects of the game. You will want to be able to take the rulebook and say "ah, geez, frack this!" and roll with your instinct to adjudicate situations and just well, go on playing the game. Sometimes even, you'll search for a rules frame, as opposed to a complete interdependent game system, that just allows you to customize and build rules on the go, to make the system your own.

MRQ does all this stuff really well, for me. :)

There's also a difference in the types of fictions they simulate. Playing people who feel more like the "average joe" and try to survive in a world that is just as large, if not larger, than themselves will fit more MRQ's intent by the way it is framed with the use of percentages and roll-under mechanics. That isn't to say that Legendary Heroes aren't any good, they are, but that's another frame of RQ or if you will, MRQ has two different framed scales: the base and the legendary scaled heroes.

If however I want to have characters starting very low to achieve extreme power gradually while still retaining the fun of struggles and dice rolling on a large scale of character development and concentrating on contrasts within the character from start to finish, the discrepancies between levels and the open-ended mechanic of "roll+bonus vs. difficulty" which can scale on and on forever, will probably be more appropriate.

I picked up RuneQuest for the following reasons:

I want to buy into a fantasy game that is reasonably popular and thus have a better chance of finding players familiar with the system and / or Glorantha.

Its similarlity to BRP means Call of Cyhulhu players will likely pick it up quickly - and most RPGers I know have played CoC.

Most importantly for me though - the core books are concise and therefore quick to read for me (I have now read the core book and am reading the companion, meanwhile I don't feel able to GM D&D because I have read the PHB but not the DMG and MM).

And the number one reason for me is the fact that the core rules are availbale in PDF format - I pretty much only read RPG books in this format now.

Utgardloki said:

[snip generally agreeable stuff]

* Skill system supports specialization as an add-on. Many rules easily support add-on house rules. Good for tinkering.

[snip other good reasons]

The bit I'm curious about is...are there house rules or published articles for this.
Seeing as I'm working on my own and all.

I was introduced to Runeguest deluxe in 91'. And immediately loved it as it represented no specific classes, no 'Bank o' HP's'. I could train skills. and combat was deadlier in the respect of long weapons and closing, impaling and severing of limbs, which brings to mind hit locations. I always enjoy the visualization and creativity of the hit. Where and how severe. Then you have it set up for ranged and melee hit locations. A very cool effect. But skills, were pretty much the main thing. How skilled you were is how "high level" you were. And a so called 'epic' character could be threatened by a kid with a dagger in the right place. As for flexibility, most definately..I already set it up for the Conan world (which is I believe the best system for playing Conan) and a modified Babylon5 system, with another slightly modified CoC world setting.
Only thing haven't done with it is a super's game. But superworld came to my attention, but it was not quite what I had anticipated.
Runequest system is the End All, Be All of gaming systems IMHO.

Drifter said:
Utgardloki said:

[snip generally agreeable stuff]

[snip other good reasons]

The bit I'm curious about is...are there house rules or published articles for this.
Seeing as I'm working on my own and all.

Most of what I know I got from reading these forums.

When the MRQ book first came out, this forum was filled with threads on how to change this aspect or that aspect of the game. You can probably find the threads on the older pages.

There is a Runequest Wiki which has a few ideas.

I think its unfair to put "more realistic" as a combat system advantage: D20 conciously chooses to use a more abstract system. Still, corrected for A Certain Problem, MRQ combat is pretty good at seeming realistic without actually being so: and yes, they are both good things!

Frankly I think the skills systems are tough to call, as are the combat mechanics. In magic, MRQ is absolutely superior in every important respect. Variety, atmosphere, playability, scaling. There is simply no comparison. I think this is the single greatest achievement: apart for a slight issue with Spirit Magic, it is vastly superior not only to d20 but to RQ3 as well.

Finally, charcter development. I'm a fan of d20 at levels 1-8, but after that the whole system begins to crumble. Conan... maybe 12. MRQ doesn't seem to have that kind of cap.

well, realism is an advantage, if thats what you are after in the game

And as long as you have a very enjoyable character creation system... because that's what you'll be spending most of your time doing! :D

Back