Who is the most powerful mage in the hyborian ages?

Tsotha-lanti wields the might of Koth and a therefore a vast amount of political, economic and military power in addition to his personal power, but Thoth-Amon is the greatest wizard of the Hyborian Age, especially when he has his Serpent Ring and commands the Black Ring.

Tsotha-lanti is the brother of Laza-lanti and son of the lord of the dark valley ( or something like that ), right? Do you know somewhere where I can get more info about those mages?

Couldn't a wizard like Thoth-amon invade some regions by his own? And how about defeating an army on his own?

thx
[]s

akashic said:
Couldn't a wizard like Thoth-amon invade some regions by his own? And how about defeating an army on his own?

I'd imagine he could, particularly unorganized areas like the Black Kingdoms.

Depends on what you consider canon. If you take everything into account, it would probably be Thoth-amon. If you considered the Howard stories as the only true stories, than I'd personally say Xalotun.

Cheers,

Jeremy Harper

akashic said:
[]s

By "on his own" you mean literally on his own, singlehanded? Not likely I think. This isn't DnD, the concept of a "battle mage" is foregin to Conan. Oh sure, sorcorers show up on battlefields all the time and often their success or defeat (at the hands of steely thewed heroes, natch) is responsible for turning the tide of a battle (the story hour of the Dragon has some good examples of this). But they still need an allied army to protect them as well as do the actual dirty work of conquest and subgation. Wizards can change the course of history by showing up in the right place at the right time but they can't be everywhere at once and even with spells like "Black Plague" they can't actually defeat an army without having at least the threat of their own army to send after the survivors/invade the emeny's own lands. The old saying is that "it doesn't matter how powerful the wizard is; a dagger in the back is still a dagger in the back". Conan highlights this pardagrim.

If a sorcorer did want to take over a kingdom "single handed" he would be more likely to either A) impress/intimidate one small settlement into obeying him then use them to attack/absorb their neighbors until the whole thing snowballs into him becomming the ruler of the region (AKA: the "Man Who Would Be King" scenario) or B) locate the key power figures and lie/cajole/bribe/blackmail/intimidate/manipulate/enchant/mentally dominate until he becomes the power behind the throne (AKA: the "Jaffar" scenario) or else C) assuming some kind of sorcous coven/priesthood already exists join them and scheme/backstab your way to the top so that you rule the general region by default of ruling the state religion/worst group of badass magical mo-fo's present (AKA: the "Thoth-Amon" scenario) or finally D) make enough demonic pacts with enough nasty nasty nasties until you can finally work your way up to summoning a Great Old One to eat all your enemies for you and allow you to rule over the blasted landscape for three whole glorious seconds before he eats you too (AKA: the "Sweet Baby Buddaha's Left Nut! He's Gone Mad" scenario).

Scholars in Conan are particularly good at scenario A (required styles: Curses, Nature Magic, Prestidigation) and scenario B (required styles: Hypnotism, Divination) though any scenario is possible and will make for a great story.

Yokiboy, thx for the site, lots of cool info there :D

argo, so, even though he wouldnt be able to kill an army singlehanded, he would be very helpfull in a fight where his army where outnumbered, and would probably manage to hold out alone against something like 50 soldiers, right?

thx
[]s

wretched wurms, will u never learn ?

knowledge is power.
to control any kingdom /country u only need to control the top leader /king.
then u also control all the armies, etc.
armies are only for suppressing the peasants + protecting the elite ruling class.
u must keep the peasants continually struggling + confused + in fear.
-
it took a while, but now my cult + i have been controlling all the world for the last 5000 yrs.
we know how to keep u wurms busy - -
bush + blair + the rest are my puppets.
MU-WA-HA-HA-HA-ha ! :wink:
-
u are all living in my GAME ! role on suckers !
i liked conan, his flesh tasted delicious.

suffer on - - -
:twisted: - from THOTH + the Brotherhood.

THOTHs big brother said:
wretched wurms, will u never learn ?

knowledge is power.
to control any kingdom /country u only need to control the top leader /king.
then u also control all the armies, etc.
armies are only for suppressing the peasants + protecting the elite ruling class.
u must keep the peasants continually struggling + confused + in fear.
-
So, all magicians and wizards have become republicans? :D

DrSkull said:
I didn't think they'd allow Democrats to play Conan, it's not nearly sensitive enough. :wink:

Democrats can play but they're only allowed to kill babies... and then, only before they're born.

Do you think Thoth Amon would have gone and fought in Vietnam?

No, Thoth Amon disguised himself as two presidents and sent troops to die in Vietnam.

Hmmm, this is probably off-topic....

Back