Which Skinnie Faction (And a Small Preview of the Army Book)

Which Skinnie faction would you use if you were a Skinnie player?

• Militia & Raiders led by the Warchief

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brutes led by the Cabal

• Venerables led by the Lord

• Soliders led by the Tyrant

• Guard led by the General

• Slaves led by, umm, the Leader of Slaves

• Bugs & Skinnies, led by a Brain Bug

• Colonel T'Phai and his crew

• All of 'em!

• Total voters

Dr. Rooster

Mongoose
Well, I just read the sneak peek about what the skinnies are getting, and I'm curious; If you were a skinnie player, what would you field?
-The well-known Militia and Raiders led by the inspiring Warchief?
-The primitive but burly brutes led by the great Cabal?
-Or the Soldiers, Guards and Venerables led by the rich and highly respected Lord?

I haven't yet started with SST but the look of the Skinnies hooked me so I've been counting down the months eagerly!

Now, not having read the book or seen the roughneck chronicles I have NO frame of reference for the Skinnies at all!

I hear they're supposed to be low tech compared to the federation so I'd go for raiders but I really like the look of the heavily armoured soldiers too so it'll most likely be a mixed force

So what are the Skinnies like in the novel/animation?

They all look cool but I'm a fan of armor and all so I picked the Skinnie Lord as his troops should be fairly well armored.

Cool, very cool. Well, I don't play the skinnies but I'm obsessed with them. And if I were to play them I'd play the Brutes because I just love the idea of them coming into battle against the bugs and throwing them around and smashing their heads in like it was nobody's business. (And thats saying something considering I'm a bug player!)
But I'd also like the Venerables and their Lord, what with all their cool weapons and such. The local skinnie player in our town is going to be gaining lots of status and power, perhaps too much...

emperorpenguin said:
I haven't yet started with SST but the look of the Skinnies hooked me so I've been counting down the months eagerly!

Now, not having read the book or seen the roughneck chronicles I have NO frame of reference for the Skinnies at all!

I hear they're supposed to be low tech compared to the federation so I'd go for raiders but I really like the look of the heavily armoured soldiers too so it'll most likely be a mixed force

So what are the Skinnies like in the novel/animation?
First off, its not that the skinnies are low tech compared to the federation, they're just different. Instead of fighting with air assest they train infantry to deal with what comes out of them. Instead of using nukes they build marauders than can withstand the blast of a nuke.
They rarely use weapons that shoot bullets and rockets, instead using weapons that shoot a suffocating goop, guns that release a brain roasting beam, and acid dart shooting crossbow-like rifles.
The skinnies in the cgi series are initially allies of the federation but are turned against them via control bugs. (A perfect example is Private T'Phai, a skinnie who is saved by the Roughnecks from a control bug and joins the Roughneck sqad.)
I am still looking for the novel so I don't know very much about the skinnies from the novel, but I know that they're mentioned, so by all means check the novel out! :D

nick klose said:
Skinnie lord with Venerables for me. I was hooked the minitue I saw the sketch of the venerable "murader".
Yep. Looks pretty dang sweet!
So is anybody here actually a true blue skinnie player or do you all just experiment with them? :?:

Incidentally, the Skinnies book has just gone off to print.

The final text has _eight_ seperate army lists in it, so there should be quite enough for you to get on with :)

Skinnie armies are defined by the personality by their leader, you see, and while most leaders have access to most units (but never all) they will always favour a certain type. To give you a basic run down;

The Cabal - leading the primitive Brutes into battle (the only infantry type strong enough to wield the hug Mass Drivers!).

The General - leading the elite Guard.

The Leader of Slaves - leading, umm, slaves. An ex-MI caotured and gone native.

The Lord - I predict this guy will, initially, be the most popular choice, given the weapons of armour of both him and his Venerables. . .

The Tyrant - and this is a personal favourite of ours. Think mad genius locked away in his hidden fortress. Leads Soldiers.

The Warchief - A Skinnie of the people, leads the Militia and Raiders/.

That was all we were going to include but a last minute re-jigging allowed us to wedge two more forces we were originally going to keep back.

The Brain Bug - buy a couple of Raiders box sets and you can add them straight to your existing bug force with this option, with an Arachnid Controlled Skinnie army.

Colonel T'Phai - kind of a 'half army' more than a full blown force, but fully tourney legal and allows you to use your Roughnecks box set in a new way. . .

Thank you, thank you, thank you. I assure you my friend the skinnie player will be very happy for that. :D
Eh, whats this about the brain? Are you saying a skinnie army controled by the arachnids or a arachnid army controlled by skinnies? :?:
So this means my poll is basically useless, but comments are still welcome. :p

msprange said:
Should also mention that development is well on the way with the mysterious '4th race' for SST. . .

Sounds great! Like the idea of the bug controled Skinnies. As for that 4th race, thats just mean. Come on you gotta give us at lest a teaser. One word thats all i want, a name, a place, anything. Personally i got my theorys...two words.....Space Lizards.

nick klose said:
Sounds great! Like the idea of the bug controled Skinnies. As for that 4th race, thats just mean. Come on you gotta give us at lest a teaser. One word thats all i want, a name, a place, anything. Personally i got my theorys...two words.....Space Lizards.

Anyone coming to our B5 Open Day might find the odd piece of artwork lying round the office. . .

so your saying anyone who goes must take a picture of everything inside so we can sift through the evidence later? sweet, leeme get my ticket ;)

Anyone coming to our B5 Open Day might find the odd piece of artwork lying round the office. . .

That's it! I'm booking my flight now 8)

I think it's great that a couple months ago I had customers complaing about how thin SST was in the army list department and now, in the space of two months, we have three races (soon four!) with multiple lists within each. I know I'm preaching to the converted but I'm pumped :p

Anyone coming to our B5 Open Day might find the odd piece of artwork lying round the office. . .[/quote]

Right them now all i need is a Ninga to sneek into that B5 day thing a take a few pics of this "odd" pice of artwork. Right so whos up for the task? I warn you, it may be dangerous (those B5 fans are a dangerous bunch) it may be hazerdus, and in all likly hood you'll be payed a grand total of nothing for your efforts. BUT you'll know that with your sacrafice my life will be that tiny bit better. :lol:

Until I get the book I can't commit but if I had to choose right now:

General and Guard:
Jump packs, shock sticks, boneshard rifle, and cheaper than Venerables (so far as we know.)

One of the things that has me SOOO excited though is that the leaders look to be really different model sets, not just different stats. Based on the preview and the projected pricing: The Cabal will be a mini-unit, the Warchief rides a nasty beastie, tyrant/lord/leader of slaves look to be individual figs, and the General is . . . well, something worth $30 (I'm thinking a vehicle or an elite squad?)

No matter what I wind up with for a leader, I'll be starting with 2 boxes of Raiders, a box of Militia and probably the Warchief just to get on the field ASAP. That'll be some 50+ figs and (I think) 1500+ points to start, and they should fold nicely into future army variants.

Wow! Sounds like there's gunna be a whole passle of Skinnie models to try out. Kudos to the 'Goose for giving us cross-over options for the Skinnies (Brain Bug-Skinnie army, Human Slaves, etc.). It'll give us a chance to get more milege out of our existing Bug/MI models. Nice.

I must say I've been totally won over by these very diverse and broad armies available to each race. I like the variety available to players even if they are all from the same race...and remarkably enough, so far, the different "army-types" each have a very distinct flavor and gameplay characteristics...LAMIs play great and are totally distinct from a Marauder platton (for example)...which also has a fun playstyle.

Looking forward to the Skinnies...they really seem to epitomize this game design philosophy.

G&T

Back