Which Magnamund army is the best?

A

Anonymous

Until Mongoose help us…I would like to develop a very simple narrative combat battle system for my lw games, so I would like to know what do you think about this: which value from 1 to 15 would you give to each of this units?:

Sommerlund warrior
Durenese warrior
Sommerlund royal guard
Knight of the white mountain
Khight of the realm
Giak
Drakkarim
Death Knight
Helghast

Thank you for your time and help.

Anonymous said:
Sommerlund warrior
Durenese warrior
Sommerlund royal guard
Knight of the white mountain
Khight of the realm
Giak
Drakkarim
Death Knight
Helghast

This is VEEERYY difficult to say! Very subjective...
I'll give you my own answers but, for sure, somebody will have completely different ideas... :wink:

Let's say:
Sommerlund warrior - 7
Durenese warrior - 6
Sommerlund royal guard - 11
Knight of the white mountain - 10
Khight of the realm - 13
Giak - 3
Drakkarim - 8
Death Knight - 13
Helghast - 10

Hope this help... :?:

Hi guys,

Just a quickie but if you are looking for a narrative battle system for Lone Wolf, I can suggest either Crusades of Valour or Conan: Free Companies. . .

Yes, I have bought Conan Free Companies, and I love its narrative combat system, I want to use it for Magnamund, but I don´t know which would be the Mass Cohesión of each army, any help until a lw battle system is developped?

I would put the Helghast right up the top, first because he's a tough soldier anyway, and second because of his immunity to magic.

Then I'd probably put the Knight of the Realm, Knight of the White Mountain and Death Knight... Probably Death Knight would be highest, followed by the Knight of the White Mountain, and then the Knight of the Realm.

Then the Royal Guard

Next comes the Drakkarim

Then the Sommerlund Warrior and the Durenese Warrior would be about the same, and the giak would be ever so slightly weaker.

Ghost Bear said:
I would put the Helghast right up the top, first because he's a tough soldier anyway, and second because of his immunity to magic.

Then I'd probably put the Knight of the Realm, Knight of the White Mountain and Death Knight... Probably Death Knight would be highest, followed by the Knight of the White Mountain, and then the Knight of the Realm.

Then the Royal Guard

Next comes the Drakkarim

Then the Sommerlund Warrior and the Durenese Warrior would be about the same, and the giak would be ever so slightly weaker.

Sounds good to me except I might put the Royal Guard and Drakkarim on a level. I've always thought Drakkar very tough.

I agree completely on the Helghast but what about knocking off a few points if they face a force with a magical weapon?

It is difficult to say if you just have one overall quality stat. While I don't know the narrative combat system that was mentioned, I'd say you have to differentiate more.

Take Giaks, for example: they are not bad fighters, but I guess their morale breaks easily if things don't go their way. And Helghasts: tough opponents, for sure, but how good do they function as big units on an open battlefield? That's not what they were made for, after all. (If think they are more like "commandos".)

columbob said:
Or immunity to anything that's not magic? :wink:

Yeah, that. :)

And yeah, if the Knights had magical weapons, things would be a lot closer.

Hmmm, and yes maybe the Drakkar would be similar to the Royal Guard too.

-GB

Confused Wolf said:
And Helghasts: tough opponents, for sure, but how good do they function as big units on an open battlefield? That's not what they were made for, after all. (If think they are more like "commandos".)

There is something about Helghasts that completely freaks me out. They are capable of causing complete mayhem on a battlefield. Shapeshift into the comanders guards and kill the commander. Shapeshift into a messenger and hold up vital reinforcements or send off a cavalry charge to it's doom. Replace the armies scouts and lead a force into a trap. Become a quartermaster and poison the food or the wells in a seige. I can see some more adventure ideas being added today. :)

So Helghast would be used as commandos but does this make them more or less effective. I can see small numbers of Helghast achieving effects that would require huge military forces otherwise.

So, you from Mongoose, could you give us a little tip/advice about what do you think about each unit value? Thanks

If you want a really rough system for working it out, what about counting End Dice, then add one per special quality? That way you get something that gives you a direct translation from anything in the rulebook.

Some examples this gives are

Helghast: 9
Gourgaz: 11
Giak: 2
Crypt Spawn: 12

Helghasts are even more useful than just battlefield espionage and dirty ops (has image of Helghasts dressed in Green Beret Uniforms carrying silenced Bor rifles) :shock: . Their greatest asset is preparing a country for the Darklords to invade. As Sun Tzu states, the best way to defeat an enemy is to achieve complete suprise. Kill or suborn effective leadership, and an army loses any cohesion. The Helghasts can forment rebellion, seduce courtiers and plant false information. Use fast moving Giak or Drakkarim raiders on Doomwolves or Krann, and you can disrupt trade to and from the country(ies) you wish to conquer. Only a few countries even have the means to defend against such an attack. Dessi, Sommerlund, Durenor, Lyris, Bautar, Telchos, and possibly Bor have arcane means of detecting Helghasts at the moment. Kai Lords, Magicians of Dessi, Shianti Sorcerors, Sages of Lyris who use Left-Handed Magic, Telchos Warriors, and Brothers of the Crystal Star can detect Helghasts via some form of magical or psychic sight.

Stormcrow the White Wolf said:
Brothers of the Crystal Star can detect Helghasts via some form of magical or psychic sight.

BCS can come from any country, really. They have chapter houses scattered throughout Northern Magnamund, as far as I'm concerned, and many rulers hire them as advisors as well.

I was surprised to read that, to be honest. I always assumed that the Brotherhood was a Sommlending institution.

It makes sense of course, to broaden the class's horizons, and be less limitting, but is there anything in the Gamebooks that support such a view?

The only possibility I can think of is Chiban from Book 9, but I always figured that he wasn't actually a Brotherhood mage.

-GB

I think the army of the dessi is at least as strong as sommerlund. sommerl;und armies are led by kai, and made up of the knights with brotherhood mages for support.

Dessi are led by the vakeros, have magician of dessi for support, and they also have the immense power of the elder magii in case things get tough. The only balancing factor for sommlend, which probably puts it over the edge, is that dessi does not have the same manpower as sommerlund.

Xex said:
I think the army of the dessi is at least as strong as sommerlund. sommerl;und armies are led by kai, and made up of the knights with brotherhood mages for support.

Dessi are led by the vakeros, have magician of dessi for support, and they also have the immense power of the elder magii in case things get tough. The only balancing factor for sommlend, which probably puts it over the edge, is that dessi does not have the same manpower as sommerlund.

I think that Dessi would have very small but powerful forces lethal as part of a larger coalition or fighting from a position where their flanks are protected but vulnerable to being outflanked by a numerically superior enemy.

The small powerful forces of Dessi would be perfect for holding the mountain passes into their realm where an enemy could not bring his numbers to bear. They would also be superb at supporting other nations providing powerful magical support and crack troops in a small package that could be moved very swiftly.

Imagine the difference it would make to a siege assault if you had a force a Vakeros guarding the gate and Magicians of Dessi supporting the walls. What they couldn't do is invade a nation like Vassagonia in any thing other than a raid or they would be over whelmed by the sheer numbers of enemy. I suspect that this is why the Magicians of Dessi seem so adept at building alliances.

dont forget the bor gunners you can only hide in a castle if it is still has walls,roof etc :twisted: tick the little guys off and you will no longer have a home standing too go home too :wink: :lol:

I'd think the armies of Bor excel at siege warfare, particularly surviving sieges. Firearms could have been developed as a more lethal alternative to the defenders' friend, bows.

Back