Which Edition?

klingsor

Mongoose
The last AH edition was III. GW messed around with it a little but it was basically still III. A possible IVth edition appeared on the net so is this new edition IV or V?

What prompted me to ask is that I am working on a character sheet and I want to know what to put at the top.

I'm for calling it RQ4. RQ3 was the last version of the game that was actually released. THe RQ4 playtest notes were'nt really sufficent to could as a new version, and RQ:Slayers is best forgotten.

What is the offfical word on this from the folks at Mongoose?

I'd tend to go with MRQ as well; as discussed in other threads, apparently the game we knew as RQIII was largely split up. As I understand it, Greg retained the Gloranthan setting, Chaosium retained the BRP game mechanics and Mongoose got rights to use the name (and then licensed the use of the 2nd Age setting from Greg).

While they did their best to approximate the feel of the earlier RQs without infringing on stuff like Chaosium's IP, it's too much of a technical diversion to be called a 4th version, IMHO.

I was wondering about that. In some ways MRQ seems like another version of BRP. There seems to be more in common with RQ2 than, say, Nephilum, which uses a stripped down form of BRP. The rights must be tangled up pretty good. You are probably correct, MRQ is the better choice.

atgxtg said:
I'm for calling it RQ4. RQ3 was the last version of the game that was actually released. THe RQ4 playtest notes were'nt really sufficent to could as a new version, and RQ:Slayers is best forgotten.

I've seen a version of the Chaosium/AH revision of RQIII entitled RQIV:Adventures in Glorantha that is an entirely playable game - but that never made it to publication...

Cheers,

NDM

Gallowglass said:
atgxtg said:

I've seen a version of the Chaosium/AH revision of RQIII entitled RQIV:Adventures in Glorantha that is an entirely playable game - but that never made it to publication...

Cheers,

NDM

I saw a version of that, but what I saw was incomplete. Mostly a list of rule changes to incorporate into RQIII. Did you see/have a completed version?

atgxtg said:
Gallowglass said:
atgxtg said:

Cheers,

NDM

I saw a version of that, but what I saw was incomplete. Mostly a list of rule changes to incorporate into RQIII. Did you see/have a completed version?

Pretty much complete - only thing missing IIRC was the Gamemastering chapter, everything else was pretty much there (Creatures, Glorantha intro chapter, thre magic systems, skills, combat, character gen etc). My memory is that it was copyright 1993 - which makes it earlier than the far less complete version that is about on the net in HTML IIRC.

If memory serves charcter gen was fiddly, skills had got a bit over complicated (with Skill difficulty categories and the like) but otherwise it was pretty good. Loved the fatigue system and combat, and magic worked well from what I remeber. Personally, MRQ in the playtest drafts I saw never looked as good overall.

Cheers,

NDM

Thanks. I had assumed the new edition was an evolution from IIIrd edition and not a complete new game. This is probably a good thing though I was going to buy the thing anyway. I am just wondering if I should buy the first printing or wait for a later one with the bugs fixed (yes, I bought Conan). I think I want it ASAP though.

andakitty said:
Some folks here have obliquely called it RQ4, mostly we've been calling it MRQ, Mongoose Rune Quest.

Thats the most sensible, it avoids all confusion.

The RQ4 that was drifting around the net was no great shakes TBH.

Back