• MI

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Skinnies

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Belechem

Mongoose
Who wins most of your games?

The last poll of this kind is a bit ago, and as the numbers of SST players still rise, so i thought it is time to renew it...
I wanted to keep it simple and flat, so the different army layouts (LAMI, Marauder Platoons, Exosuit army, Skinnie tribes) are all put together in their species.

Belechem said:
Who wins most of your games?

The last poll of this kind is a bit ago, and as the numbers of SST players still rise, so i thought it is time to renew it...
I wanted to keep it simple and flat, so the different army layouts (LAMI, Marauder Platoons, Exosuit army, Skinnie tribes) are all put together in their species.

You haven't added an option for equal amounts of Wins/Losses!

I haven't played Skinnies yet so I can't comment too much on those.

Between MI and Arachnids. Well To start with, the Arachnids had the most wins, then once we got a handle on the MI and how to use them properly they got the most wins by a fair margin. Then I started using really large bits of terrain and it has evened out more and who wins depends greatly on the size and amount of terrain used. Board size is also a factor. Now though, it is pretty even between MI and Arachnids with it leaning maybe a little towards the Arachnids side.

Lieutenant Rasczak said:
You haven't added an option for equal amounts of Wins/Losses!

I thought this would come out in the poll results :)

But i am unable to find the "edit poll" button.

Negative. No Poll editing options in the edit post menu.
Poll was started from a different computer, perhaps its this... ( IP wise)

Belechem said:
Negative. No Poll editing options in the edit post menu.
Poll was started from a different computer, perhaps its this...

Weird, when I left an option off one of my Polls it let me add it after!

Maybe its because you've had Votes already!

It the games we play its a 50/50 spread between MI and Bugs (we have no skinnie players).

During our stint with STT last year playing atleast 1-2 games a week for 3 ish months..... the MI lost once - most of the games were a crushing defeat for the bugs.

(This was using alll the units from the main ruleset, we havent had a chance to 'experiment' with the new MI units, nor nukes but as far as we can tell they dont need any more help ;) we were also playing games between 1000 and 3000 pts, most of the time 2000-2500 a side (once we got a hang of things that is))

- g0ddy

Back when we had more players the MI won FAR MORE GAMES than the other armies. Now that it's down to me and one other guy, whichever army I play tends to be the one that wins (my opponent's not that great :lol: ).

I voted for MI; based on our fairly regular games, the MI usually win as far as "Victory Points" go.

However, as far as just being on the receiving end of an ***-kickin', I'd have to hand it to the bugs.

Flattening 2 Marauders in one attack with a Tanker, trashing a Chickenhawk with hoppers, or having a Burrower eat (literally) a CHAS unit are fantastic "bragging rights".

So what if a group of MI pukes kill 20+warriors in a game? Big deal. :roll: Its trashing of the MI that gets the most attention.

Well, the MI usually win most games by a long shot, but I haven't lost a game to the MI in over a month, so I really can't say.

Ever since Pooky arose I haven't lost that much! :wink:

Dr. Rooster said:
Well, the MI usually win most games by a long shot, but I haven't lost a game to the MI in over a month, so I really can't say.

Ever since Pooky arose I haven't lost that much! :wink:

That's some serious Pooky Mojo. When I was playing bugs I won about 7 out of 8 games. Tomorrow I'll be playing my brand new Skinnies against a buddies brand new Exos. It should be very interesting.

As an Arachnid I've lost twice to the local MI - once on points, and once when I chose to do something foolish, i.e. "let's go in against Exosuits with no tunnel assets". Bad idea - sort of like the first attacks in the movie "Zulu" - testing their firepower with the lives of our warriors. Just so you know - they have LOTS of firepower :(

The other dozen or so games however have been Bug victories, usually of the overwhelming kind. My opponents, fortunately, still haven't figured out that the M in "MI" stands for Mobile :lol:

and they even tell you in the rule book?

You must have Fear surprise and above all intimidation to destroy the Jedi Errr I mean MI

anyways- Mi lose well more than half their games, part of it, is that I am the longest playing player/the demo runner, I know the rules best and I focus on bugs... but we have plenty of games where I Referee and give advice to both sides since they are both new, those tend to be leaning towards bugs even so, it also doesnt help that my MI have but 2 marauders though we often proxy up to 5...

the point is, in our games the Bugs do extremely well... though as the other players learn the rule book adns tart their own armies I think they will get much better

it's easier to win with MI when you first start and haven't got your head around the rules. Reaction shooting tends to be very nasty so with two inexperienced players it'll usually come down to that.
Also, flexible bug armies cost a lot of cash, there aren't that many out there. Much easier to field a rock hard MI army.
It's a lot more balanced when both sides have access to lots of stuff. Our games are like that.... hard to pre-empt and buy the right MI when the bug player has 100+ bugs, hordes of hoppers, 3 plasma, 3 tankers, king tanker etc... etc.. to pick from.
Most groups have limited cash, the MI players know pretty much exactly what they'll be fighting.
It's not the rules, it's funds that seem to limit the bugs.

Anyway, my last game as bugs....
Turn 1: PLasma'd pathfinder squad taking out the searg and NCO. Assassinated then infiltrator bugged his LT.
Turn 2: 15 hoppers arrived as reserves and mauled his marauders.

I think a lot of bug players forget how easy it is to take out MI command structure.
(I also think a lot of MI players conveniently forget to notice when unit leaders are taken out) it's why bug players have to be savvy with the rules.
Assassinate a sergeant, then hopper him..... the unit is out of it. MI players have to wipe you out to the last bug.

Yup, i still think that MI can afford to react on the Bug Player actions, while the bugs have to think strongly about tactics, bcs of the fact that there is no unit in the bugs army that can withstand a broadside of a Mi Squad(Whatever it may be). On the opther hand there are many units in the MI that can survive a Warrior/Hoppers attack, for example.
And with the "Swap models" rule, it became more difficult to the bugs to take out the comm structure. I still think that the bugs need a beefup, they are too weak for the points (in defense,not offense) and the money the bug player has to spend. And the poll makes it clear, i think. Next, the bug player is very dependent on the terrain on the table. Less terrain- you get shred. Much terrain- you can eventually win, if you`re lucky.

Sun Tzu says:
"An army that is dependant on the Earth factor(Terrain) is not worth to fight with, as a good opposite general can negate that effect. Try to get a better army to beat your enemy on every terrain, bcs you will not have the option to choose the battlefield everytime"

And what's up with this whole "The bugs aren't getting anything untill 2007, while to MI get like 3 new marauders!" WTF?!? That's so wrong on so many levels! :x :x :x

Actually... The MI getting new marauders are in the 2007 update (Supposed to be out late this year, december I think they said). So the MI are gonna have to wait for that too. Right now it looks like Mongoose is doing the Skinnies and gonna be doing the Forth with most of their effort.

Alright, then I rest my case. As long as the arachnids are getting releases along with the MI I'm fine. Besides, I'm starting to lose interest in the bugs the more I think about the Forth! :D

Back