where'd companion thread go?

iamtim wrote
That companion thread needed to go. There were two different discussion forks between me and another guy, one of which contained insulting content and both of which I had to back out of because they were going NOWHERE and someone had to take the upper hand, so to speak.
Ahhh so it was your fault! :lol:

I was happy to let it die a normal death, but I'm just as OK with it being pulled.
The problem is there might have been some cool stuff inter-mingled between the huranging.

Exubae said:
The problem is there might have been some cool stuff inter-mingled between the huranging.

No, no, I get that. And that sucks. But I'd still rather see the thread get purged and an errata sooner, than one of the Mongeese popping on to the thread with a, "Now, now, class, don't say that!" and a further delayed errata for example.

Maybe Mongoose should appoint one of the forum regulars to moderate this forum and this forum alone, so that someone other than them can delete out offensive material and run around with a ruler to rap on our knuckles when needed.

And I did not neither tell Mongoose about it. *pout*

If the thread was so horrible with insults flying everywhere (I can't seem to remember any, but...) why not just close the thread instead? MAybe with a post explaining why? Otherwise the natural thought is that it's done because of people voicing critizism about MRQ.

SGL.

There are a great many problems with the current propensity of threads to dissapear sans explanation
- Not least of which is if no-one knows why a thread has been pulled then there is every possibility of the same issue being repeated elsewhere in another thread. A public warning and/or locking of the thread ensures that everyone can see where the boundries are. I don't recall what I said in which thread, so if I upset someone before, the chances are I'll do so again...

- Another problem is that by abdicating responsibility and claiming threads are pulled in response to user complaints we don't know who is censoring the forums and why. Are threads pulled if one person complains, or does it take two, six, or a two thirds majority of registered users?

- What sort of people complain about a public discussion in private anyway? Are these the sort of people we want to be responsible for decising what we can and can't discuss?

Forum management, Gloranthan style:
Annilla cultist - Deletes a message seamlessly like it never existed.
Irrippi Ontor cultist- Replaces the message with pure propaganda.
Etyries cultist- slips in the occasional advert to a thread for up and
coming products.
Krasht cultist- Devours the thread whole, lost forever to the void.
Zorak Zoran cultist- Finds out where the poster lives and
sends the boys round with big maces.
Danfive Xaron cultist- One mistake in your post and your banned and
never le back in
Eurmal Cultist- Deletes posts at random, just for the hell of it.

Please note... not implying anything by the post... just in a childish, flippant mood.
:lol:

Maybe Mongoose should appoint one of the forum regulars to moderate this forum and this forum alone, so that someone other than them can delete out offensive material and run around with a ruler to rap on our knuckles when needed.
What a cool job! Do you get to wear leather... :lol:

Seriously though, a reason why a thread gets blasted into oblivion would be nice so we can amend our outrageous and hurtful behaviour.

Exubae said:
Forum management, Gloranthan style:
Annilla cultist - Deletes a message seamlessly like it never existed.
Irrippi Ontor cultist- Replaces the message with pure propaganda.
Etyries cultist- slips in the occasional advert to a thread for up and
coming products.
Krasht cultist- Devours the thread whole, lost forever to the void.
Zorak Zoran cultist- Finds out where the poster lives and
sends the boys round with big maces.
Danfive Xaron cultist- One mistake in your post and your banned and
never le back in
Eurmal Cultist- Deletes posts at random, just for the hell of it.

Please note... not implying anything by the post... just in a childish, flippant mood.
:lol:

In this vein,

If you close the threads then Dormal cultists just open them up again :wink:

Vadrus

I just sent a PM to Matthew Sprange asking him if he'd allow for an RQ sub-moderator; someone who has the time to censor offensive content and give reasons for moderation, instead of just purging the thread.

I'll let everyone know how he responds if he doesn't do it publically.

gamesmeister said:
You're really not making any friends here Mongoose!

All we ask is that people _behave_ themselves :)

Seriously though, things have been getting noticeably better on these forums over the past few days, and I cannot see that we will need to continue policing them in this way for long.

It's a shame that people continue with pointless slanging matches over several topics when they know that the topics will get pulled if they do so.

soltakss said:
It's a shame that people continue with pointless slanging matches over several topics when they know that the topics will get pulled if they do so.

Human nature though, we all want to have the last word.

Of course I can resist that temptation,

Honest

I really mean it

I'll shut up....

Eventually

Vadrus

P.S. I've stopped now.

P.P.S. almost

P.P.P.S. once I've started this joke how do I finish it?

P.P.P.P.S. Sorry

Wow!

From complaining about the rules to meta-complaining about the forum moderation. When the even more substantial meta-meta-complaints?...

...ops! I just did that!

Smiorgan

Well, since I was that "other person", I guess it was my fault that the thread got deleted. Muahahah! I'm "evil" :twisted:

Don't recall ever calling anyone any names, nor getting particularly heated. But then, I'm used to posting on forums where people don't take a difference of opinion as an insult. I'm a firm believer that free discussion requires the ability to make frank statements regarding the subject matter. Some sites don't have problems with this. Some do.

Actually. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure it was the "Unless a miracle occurs and Mongoose does a complete re-write on the core rules of MRQ, I'm not likely to ever have any use of a single game mechanic they develop based on those core rules" comment that probably did it.

Well. It was something like that anyway. Honest feedback IMO...

Gnarsh said:
Well, since I was that "other person", I guess it was my fault that the thread got deleted. Muahahah! I'm "evil" :twisted:

That's good to hear! I was afraid it was my "MRQ is clearly an inferior system to RQ2/3." comment. :)

SGL.

Gnarsh wrote:
Don't recall ever calling anyone any names, nor getting particularly heated
May have been your good-self that slanderously accused the American nation of not being able to spell; such arguments don't add colour to the thread, and haranging about how a nation have learnt to spell only lend to the greying of the discusion at hand... :)

That's good to hear! I was afraid it was my "MRQ is clearly an inferior system to RQ2/3." comment.
It is not inferior its just very different.

Ooh, I can feel the hand of Shadow of Humakt reaching out to Sever this thread...

Paul

iamtim said:
I just sent a PM to Matthew Sprange asking him if he'd allow for an RQ sub-moderator; someone who has the time to censor offensive content and give reasons for moderation, instead of just purging the thread.

I'll let everyone know how he responds if he doesn't do it publically.

Funnily enough, I was going to ask him the same thing. It's not a job I'd like to be lumbered with, though.

Click-click, jitter-jitter!
Erm... the sarcastic tone of that last jitter...

MRQ plays differently and its not tied into the gritty realism that RQ2/3, thus, it empasises grandiose heroism... for good or bad it is different.

Chalk and Cheese
Aldryami and Uz

Personal preference on your style of gaming is really the issue.
Personally I prefer RQ3 in Glorantha, mainly because I enjoy the grit and hardships, and the sense of knife edge danger in combat.
Though I'm going to give MRQ a spin in Glorantha to see how it feels, I think it would work better in a more high fantasy setting.

So yep very different.
I'ld prefer to give MRQ the benefit of the doubt as there is a lot to like about the system

Paul

Back