Where is the Road of Kings in the Hyborian World?

swinebread

Mongoose
I thought this thread ( http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21291 ) was going to be about where the Road of Kings is in the stories. So I decided I would start a new thread about its location(s) in Conan's world. I know it is supposed to be similar to the Silk Road but where does REH write about where it is, and where else is the Road of Kings mentioned (stories, comics, games)?

I can't remember REH mentioning the RoK, I think it's pastiche (but good pastiche in this case -what isn't true for the pastiche novel "Road of Kings" by KE Wagner: it's abysmal).

Blasphemer!!! To the dungeon with René! :lol:

KEW's book "Road of Kings" was one of the better Conan pastiches! Haven't read it in awhile but still - KEW knew his Conan.

As the Aquilonians like to say:

"The Road of Kings? Can't get there from here."

:lol:

René said:
I can't remember REH mentioning the RoK...

"The Road of Kings" is the title of a couple of verses of poetry in "Phoenix on the Sword" and "The Scarlet Citadel," although I doubt he intended a literal road.

Pastiche authors took the title of REH's poem and made it into a literal road. The earliest mention of it as a literal road that I know of is in L. Sprague de Camp's introduction to "The Hand of Nergal" in the Ace/Lancer volume of Conan.

Auggie said:
Isn't the Road of Kings on the Hyboria map??

1) There is no such place as Hyboria. The continent name is Thuria.
2) Yes, it is on the official map. Although REH did not establish the Road of Kings as a road, L. Sprague de Camp did, and no one has really disputed its existence.

If I recall correctly, it starts at Messantia in Argos, goes up through that nation into Aquilonia, through eastern Aquilonia into Nemedia, then turns south east across Corinthia into Zamora, and then eastwards to Turan, ending on the Vilayet at Aghrapur.

kintire said:
If I recall correctly, it starts at Messantia in Argos, goes up through that nation into Aquilonia, through eastern Aquilonia into Nemedia, then turns south east across Corinthia into Zamora, and then eastwards to Turan, ending on the Vilayet at Aghrapur.

That might be an engaging concept for a campaign. :)

Back