Where are all the pics of painted minis? SF

Those Hawk ships, did you do any conversion on them to remove some detail? They seem a bit smoother than normal.

JohnDW said:
Those Hawk ships, did you do any conversion on them to remove some detail? They seem a bit smoother than normal.
It does look like he has removed the "module" detail from both the Sparrowhawk and Skyhawk to make room for the wing decorations. :|

On the Sparrowhawks, I removed it for the 'the initial version would be clean lines, the modified/later versions would have stuff stuck anywhere' look. And the Skyhawk's detail was removed to fit the decal :) Also on all the Eagles etc. with bottom bird decals, I filled in the etched bird detail with Tamiya Surface Primer and sanded smooth to lay the decal over.

please tell me you made Jean aware of these pictures
Do I have to email her, or Facebook, or something?

Unusual ship bases, never seen any like that before.
The stands look interesting too. Presumably they're scratch-built? They appear to be a rod topped with a crocodile clip and stuck into a square base, and a pin stuck into the model itself.
Correct. Stands are 3/16" steel - nice and heavy.
Stands with what they were designed for.
2761762840_d75b5e2c57_n.jpg

Ah, that explains the firing arcs - they make more sense in an aerial dogfighting game than in any form of ACTA.

Jean reads this forum. If she does not know to look at this thread to find pictures of nicely built and painted models, perhaps someone should tell her. :)

Finknottle said:
On the Sparrowhawks, I removed it for the 'the initial version would be clean lines, the modified/later versions would have stuff stuck anywhere' look. And the Skyhawk's detail was removed to fit the decal :)
Actually, in-universe, those modules are supposed to be there from the outset - as with the FireHawks, the SparrowHawks can't function without them. (Both ship classes have a degree of modularity which allows for different "mission variants" to be fielded without having to dedicate an entire new hull to each task. But each class is constructed in a way that neither can operate properly without any modules installed at all.)

Similarly, the SkyHawks have a different type of module they (need to) take in order to function.

But then, it's not like any SFU Continuity Police are gonna beam in and take you to task over it, so.

Also on all the Eagles etc. with bottom bird decals, I filled in the etched bird detail with Tamiya Surface Primer and sanded smooth to lay the decal over

Did you do anything similar with the pre-sculpted "belly birds" on the SparrowHawks, FireHawk, and FastHawks? The only ships you've shown "bottom-up" are the Eagles.

I'd love to post those pictures to ADB's page on FB. :) May I? I just need your real name because if your ship gets the most likes/comments in a month, it gets the "Mini of the Month" and is published in Hailing Frequencies.

Jean, please, feel free to repost the pictures. Finknottle's semi-official name is Hal Smith. :)

Nerroth: Actually, in-universe, those modules are supposed to be there from the outset - as with the FireHawks, the SparrowHawks can't function without them. (Both ship classes have a degree of modularity which allows for different "mission variants" to be fielded without having to dedicate an entire new hull to each task. But each class is constructed in a way that neither can operate properly without any modules installed at all.)
My thinking was the modules would most likely blend in with the lines of the hull, for aesthetics, and, if for no other reason, to make your opponents work for some identification of capabilities. Now with modifying a light cruiser to a heavy, at that point, the aesthetics and hull lines are second to functionality/cost.

Nerroth: Did you do anything similar with the pre-sculpted "belly birds" on the SparrowHawks, FireHawk, and FastHawks?
No, laziness intervened. And the original purpose of making the decals was to give some individuality to the upper-works of the Romulans - especially the Condors, that while much better looking than the 2400 version, is still not the most attractive of vessels. Although, for whatever reason, I did fill in the birds on the Condors.

Excellent looking Romulans :) The Sparrowhawks w/o modules look sharp. Love the wings. I might just borrow a few of your ideas for some subtle hand painted touch ups on my minis. I'm going to have to think it over. You've got some lovely birds here, Hal.

After escaping this fireball, I suppose this Firehawk had its paint sizzled and might need some touch ups :)

Attachments

• Who let the Romulans across the border.jpg
    Who let the Romulans across the border.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 6,984
  • Pair of Sparrowhawks.jpg
    Pair of Sparrowhawks.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 6,984
  • Gotcha!.jpg
    Gotcha!.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 6,984
Back