What's north of Vanaheim

emirikol

Mongoose
Anybody got any comments on what's north of Vanaehim?

I'm working on some campaign elements towards there.

Thanks,

Jay Hafner
Denver, CO, USA

Nordheim. It's cold. Really, really cold. It's got ice and snow and rocks and drunk Viking types. And it's cold.

Did I mention it was cold? :-D

Bombaatu said:
Nordheim. It's cold. Really, really cold. It's got ice and snow and rocks and drunk Viking types. And it's cold.

Did I mention it was cold? :-D
Try again. Vanaheim is part of Nordheim, along with Asgard.

Beyond Vanaheim and Asgard are great frozen wastes. It is from that arctic region that the white-ape progenitors of the Vanir and Aesir came, having first devolved into said apes from an earlier human race which was forced northwards during the cataclysm that destroyed the world of Kull's time.

[Edit: Kull's has two Ls, not two apostrophes]

From "The Frost Giant's Daughter," it could be surmised that north of Vanaheim and Asgard there is naught but frozen wastelands, peopled by frost giants, Atali and Ymir.

Well after crossing a mountain range after a week of slow, hungry travel, there is a great chasm in the ice. Be wary, for though there is food to be found there, death awaits.

At least that was my one experience North of Nordheim.

Murte said:
Well after crossing a mountain range after a week of slow, hungry travel, there is a great chasm in the ice. Be wary, for though there is food to be found there, death awaits.

Are you talking about Norway or North Dakota?

Murte wrote:

Are you talking about Norway or North Dakota?

I think he meant Canada :lol:

SS

S'mon said:
The Snow-Apes live north of Nordheim, as mentioned in The Hyborian Age.

They also live in North Dakota..no wait, I shouldn't say that. My Eskimo Farmer buddies will kick my butt!

jh

Borrowing from another writer,ER Burroughs it appears that there is an entrance to his world of Pellucidar which lies near the North Pole.
I am not suggesting that it should be pellucidar but a lost world in a huge cavern populated by a lost civilization, degenerate savages and creatures thought extinct even in the pictish wilderness is a possibility.
It may have been created some thousands of years earlier by the massive land upheavals of the great cataclysm and could possibly contain the remnants of the serpent folk of King Kulls time.
Or it could be the dwelling place of a group of sorcerors who escaped the fall of Acheron and have populated the cavern using their arts to resurrect these long dead behemoths as guardians.

In the Marvel Conan story the Snow Apes had found a 'lost world' cavern system built by a vanished civilisation and had created their own civilisation there, with lots of gladiator fights between human slaves.

S'mon said:
In the Marvel Conan story the Snow Apes had found a 'lost world' cavern system built by a vanished civilisation and had created their own civilisation there, with lots of gladiator fights between human slaves.

And all of them (Snow Apes) have mangani names! These apes (or Simians) are also mentioned in the essay The Hyborian Age, IIRC.

Yea i like it, but never read this comic. I just wanted to tell that there are probably Snow Apes, snow'n'ice and nothing more... :wink:

Back