What's new in Deluxe?

gamesmeister

Banded Mongoose
This is the core rules, the companion, and the monsters book combined right, but I've not seen anything on updates to the books themselves.

For example, I'm assuming that the combat rules and tables have been updated with the changes found in the Player's Updates, and I would hope that the examples have been fixed. What else is new in there?

Have Mongoose taken this opportunity to fix and streamline some of the rules issues, and possibly add some new ideas that have cropped up over the last year on these forums and elsewhere?

Or have they just made the player's update fixes and left it at that?

This is the only opportunity we're likely to have for quite some time for the rules to be updated to a version 2 (or at least version 1.1). I really hope Mongoose have made the most of that opportunity.

Can anyone let us know if the errata was corrected as well as if it is black and white or full color?

I would like to know the same things. I just put this thread on my "watch topic" list so I'll know when somebody from Mongoose has posted an answer.

Granted, I am using RQ Main Rulebook, the Companion, and RQ Monsters, but I'll admit that I'd be interested in buying another version of those three - provided that the latest rules updates are included, and obvious typos fixed. (There have been some ... Did anyone spot "vest majority" instead of "vast majority"? My players thought it was something to do with clothing.)

Hi guys,

Deluxe has indeed been updated with the latest rulings, and has been completely re-organised.

Hope that helps!

msprange said:
Hi guys,

Deluxe has indeed been updated with the latest rulings, and has been completely re-organised.

Hope that helps!

Hey, that sounds good. Thank you, Matthew.

Please keep us all posted as to when it's coming out.

msprange said:
If you are in Germany, you should be seeing it any day now!

Cool. I'm going to order it from my favourite retailer then.

Unfortunately the larger game stores in my immediate area do not automatically stock RuneQuest, so I am special-ordering all the game books I want, usually through the internet.

msprange said:
Hi guys,

Hope that helps!
Helps quite a bit. Now I will pick it up. If it hadn't been I wouldn't have. Is it black and white or color?

msprange said:
Sorry to be a pain but is there a list of where all the "latest rulings" can be found?

I understand they will likely include the Player's Update and the errata, but are there other sources. It has been mentioned that the rules for handling skills over 100% have been changed in the Deluxe version, did those changes originate in the errata or Player's update or somewhere else?

Cheers!

Turns out I can answer my own question :D

Unfortunately, the only changes that have made it into Deluxe are those that were included in the latest Player's Update. I guess we couldn't really expect anything else, but that doesn't stop me being somewhat disappointed.

I still don't understand why Mongoose have persisted with the opposed rule in combat as it stands. It almost completely removes any point of giving weapons Hit Points, as they become virtually irrelevant. I can parry a Greatsword just as well with my marshmallow cookie as I can with my Kite shield - as long as my parry roll is higher than the attack roll, I take no damage. The idea of the opposed roll in combat is good, but the implementation is all wrong.

Anyhoo, back to the book. Mongoose seem to have sorted out the problem with the warped covers, which is good, but the paper seems a little parched, and the book won't lie flat which is not so great. Still, it's nice to have everything organised in one book.

Thanks for the info.

Disappointing to say the least. I agree whole heartedly about the Combat Changes in the Players Update. I like the above 100 skill rule change bit opposed spells have some questions that have never been answered as well (namely how do you handle magic items with spell effects).

Has it been reorganised (all magic covered together) and are the examples fixed (or at least removed) are my other two questions. Or is it Core/Companion/Monsters reprinted in order just in one book?

Having already spent over twice as much on the three books seperately it doesn't sound like it has much to offer. At least my Monsters is in color.

The combat example has been reworked, and as far as I can see is correct, although I did notice there is still at least one example that doesn't make sense. The Surprise example still has a (non-surprised) broo acting on Strike Rank 4. Given that this includes a D10 roll, that means the broos base Strike Rank is a maximum of 3, which is impossible given that its INT is 2D6+6.

Firearrow and Speedart now have a duration of 1, which is good.

Unfortunately all of the questions that have been put to Mongoose for which we've not received answers, and there are a lot of them, have also not been answered in the book. This is without doubt a missed opportunity.

It has been reorganised, so the three magic chapters follow consecutively, the professions are all displayed together, and it's generally easier to find things now they're all under one book.

As to buying it, I wouldn't recommend it if you've already bought the three separately, as it doesn't add a great deal to what you already have. If on the other hand you're new to MRQ, or you only have the SRDs and have been thinking about buying the books, it's very good value.

Apperently, the rowboat they commisioned to carry them to the states is still in the mid atlantic. Word I got at the FLGS was 2-3 more weeks before they get it.

Not only is that rowboat slow, Amazon says that the only Runequest Deluxe edition is from Avalon Hill and very out of print!! :evil:

Back