What's cool in Stygia?

demongg

Mongoose
So I'm thinking of running an adventure in Stygia with my PCs, one is a Stygian scholar and the others will likely be jamming with other NPCs (since being in Stygia is rough for non-Stygians).

Any suggestions for cool plot ideas?
or
the must haves when in Stygia?

How about locations?
Cults?
Artifacts?

etc...?
-kev-

Coolness is prohibited in Stygia. Stygian priests prohibit being cool, for the Ultimate Coolness belongs to Set and only him!

PS. You can be rad, though.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously: one thing that should be IMHO emphasised is Stygia's trademark fanatics and cruelty. It's a dark place, however I wouldn't make it 100% Inferno and give the PCs a little hope :)

demongg said:
So I'm thinking of running an adventure in Stygia with my PCs, one is a Stygian scholar and the others will likely be jamming with other NPCs (since being in Stygia is rough for non-Stygians).

or

How about locations?
Cults?
Artifacts?

etc...?
-kev-

Your Players will have a hardtime staying there. Basically Stygia is like the old UdSSR: strangers are strictily forbidden if they don't have allowance. Only the harbour of Khemi is open to foreigners and then only for trade. Moreover only a part of Khemi is open to strangers and if I remember well the foreigner quarter is located on an island near the mainland.
So whatever your players will do will be as covert ops.

However the borders in the east aren't tight. The ground there is an arid desert full of antic ruins half-buried beneath the sand. Howard also talked of the accursed city of Sabatea that was destroyed aeons ago by the gods because of the sins of the people.

The pastiche Conan and the Treasure of Python has two chapters showing the 'public' area of Stygia's port [forget it's name] that outlanders are allowed to occupy under heavy guard. so they'd be allow to land then- even Stygia needs to trade w/ outlanders though it heavily regultes who gets the liscence to do so. Though Conan does infilitrate the more public areas he does so by swimin across crocidile/serpebt infested waters of the delta to the main city.

As for ideas-

The player while going through a more private section of the city, see what they swear to be a trusted ally from afar slipping into a small temple of Set or another foul god with several priests. Is the person really their once-trusted ally and if so wy are they consorting with the enemy? If not, is it a imposter to replaace their ally? Further investigation is required.

A Stygian adventurer intent on risking the swamps for black lotus hires the PCs as 'expendable' guards to hep him. Once they get to the groves of black lotus they discover the Stygian plans to sacrifice them to the spirits guarding the lotus for safe passage.

A Son of Set decides that one of them would make a lovely sacrifice. If they defeat it though, they have the committed a mortal sin in the Stygian 's eyes. Cue the angry mob.

Akashvia(sp?) or a lesser vampire of her get is hunting the city, preying on outlanders rather than her own blood. She/he prefers seduction to outright battle, but if hungrt enough will subdue and kill. The vampire may also be willing to bargain with the PCs to help her/him obtain another victim in exchanage for information/,material they only have.

Two Stygians get into a public sorcerous brawl. They are both killed and the PCs notice one dropping a object of gold and copper. The item is the key to finding an anceint treasure in the Stygian wilderness and was the object of the duel. The men's master lear of the PCs obtaining the key and send theri agent to rretrieve it. The tomb also has it's own guardians/traps. And what treasures lie in wait.

Raven, hoping it helps

BTW if you can wait, a Stygian sourcebook is scheduled at the end of the year.
and I hope Vincent will include some scenarios.

check out the "Necropolis" from gary gaygax, it's d20 but has the feel of conan, needs to be adapted thoufg, i think there was some advice on that somewhere on the forum or maybe on Tulsa's website

http://www.necromancergames.com/products.html
http://hyboria.xoth.net/
http://secure1.white-wolf.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=41&products_id=172

demongg said:

or

How about locations?
Cults?
Artifacts?

etc...?
-kev-

What's cool in Stygia? The Black Ring! If you haven't bought "The Road of Kings" yet you should. It is an excellent source for information for the entire Conan world including Stygia - plus it is a great read! Personally I can't wait for the source book on Stygia and also hope it will includes an adventure!

Back