What would the displacement tons of a modern fighter jet be?

Severite

Mongoose
Much as the title requests, I was curious around about how many displacement tons a modern day jet fighter would be? I have some plans for my homebrew campaign and was trying to sort it out

Last edited:
20-1200x900.png

This is about four tonnes.

The enclosing box is irrelevant, displacement is actual volume.

At a guess jet fighter is a few Dtons, say, 1-3 Dton.

Edit: At a very rough guesstimation a F-35 fuselage is 3-4 Dton and the wings don't add much.

As a comparison a F-35A has an unloaded mass of 13 tonnes (according to wiki), and an MT Scout has an unloaded mass of 840 tonnes. The Scout is a much larger object.

Last edited:
In game terms you can get away with that, but when you go to park a multi-million credit craft of those dimensions, you are not going to be stacking anything on the wings, so if they don't fold up nicely or unless you remove them... also, the height is higher than 3m, so that extra space goes towards that and the extra room needed for storage.
It makes for a good estimate, especially when the dimensions are available. Naturally, it does not take up exactly that space, but it is a better estimate than 3-4 Dtons.

To be fair, other ships aren’t measured in what box they would fill, but what their exact displacement is. They are going to be stored in a carrier, but I already have how they are going to be secured worked out. Mostly, I was trying to figure out how much bigger a 40 dton system defense boat would be compared to a modern sized fighter jet. Perhaps I worded it poorly? I was asking for displacement tons because I am not used to working in that measurement.

I in fact edited my OP to make better use of English, as the operative sentence was a mess.

Fuselage is about 10 squares long.
Wingspan is about 7 squares wide.
Height is 1/4 into the next level, unless you can fold/remove tail fins.
Your 40 Dton SDB is going to take up 88 squares in the ship. 80 of that is solid space, whereas in the f35, about a two thirds of the width is wings. Without those, your SDB is a bit more than 3x the fuselage' size of an F-35.

You are describing hangar space, not the volume of the craft itself.

With your method a Scout ship would be 37.5 m × 24 m × 9 m (three decks) = 8100 m³ ≈ 580 Dtons.

Displacement is literally the amount of liquid it would displace if dipped into it, i.e. the volume of the craft itself.

A generic hangar, i.e. not form-fitting, able to dock most spacecraft is 300% of the craft volume (HG2017, p60), much larger than the craft itself, despite not really assuming massively protruding wings of the craft.

An aircraft is a vehicle, look to the Vehicle Handbook, that separate payload mass ("spaces") and packing volume ("shipping tons"). An F-35 would perhaps be something like a 20 Space Light Jet, requiring a 20 Dt packing crate?

Last edited:
Rough comparison of a Scout an an F-35A, to scale:
Skärmavbild 2022-11-05 kl. 05.07.png

A Scout is more than twice as long, twice as wide, and almost twice as high, and it fills the entire geometrical shape; it is much more than ten times the volume of an F-35.

Mostly, I was trying to figure out how much bigger a 40 dton system defense boat would be compared to a modern sized fighter jet.

A 40 Dton SDB would have a hull volume of 40 × 14 = 560 m³.

As an example: My recent attempt at a standardised ship-packable generic 40 Dt pinnace:
Skärmavbild 2022-11-05 kl. 05.20.png
Skärmavbild 2022-11-05 kl. 05.20 1.png

So, about 3 m high, 7.5 m wide, and 30 m long; a 40 Dt craft bounded by a 675 m³ box ≈ 48 Dton square hangar.

That is twice as long as an F-35, more than twice as wide as the aircraft's fuselage, and at least 1.5 times as high, without any protruding wings. A much more massive object.

If you detached (or folded tightly) the wings and fins, the F-35 would fit into the Pinnace's cargo-bay with room to spare.

A 40 Dt fighter/SDB might want a bit less generic design, but roughly the same order of magnitude?

Last edited:
Something like this:
Skärmavbild 2022-11-05 kl. 05.42.png
The enclosing box isn't all that much larger (but twice as long), but the Pinnace fills it completely, making it much larger.

Fully loaded, a F-35 would have a mass of about 30 tonnes. The Pinnace would be in the region of 500 tonnes with a cargo payload of perhaps 300 tonnes.

Here a MT Pinnace:
40 Dton (Disp) with a 10 Dton (135 m³ = kilolitre) = 135 tonne cargo payload with a loded mass of 550 tonnesSkärmavbild 2022-11-05 kl. 05.55.png

Skärmavbild 2022-11-05 kl. 05.55 1.png

Last edited:
Our spacecraft don't really have wings, aerofin option might be the maximum that can be squeezed out in controlling flight in an atmosphere.

Someone will have to explain to me what Extendible means; which at the moment I tend to think is a typographical error.

Hull configuration isn't considered for launch tubes, though logic indicates that it should for that and docking spaces.

Full hangar is two hundred percent, but it should be noted these are High Guard conventions.

Someone will have to explain to me what Extendible means; which at the moment I tend to think is a typographical error.
Still English (of some sort) according to Merriam-Webster:

Skärmavbild 2022-11-05 kl. 12.34.png
Skärmavbild 2022-11-05 kl. 12.37.png

Full hangar is two hundred percent, but it should be noted these are High Guard conventions.
Full hangar (200%) is for a specific craft (HG2017, p45).
Docking Facility (300%) is for generic craft (HG2017, p60).

1. Aerofins - basically, you need less hangar space if the aerofins are retracted; though again, this is more in view with the game's conventions.

2. To be fair, as I recall that's the space station's docking facilities, and probably closer to actual volume needed for let's say ninety nine percent of likely hull configurations at a given tonnage.

Rough comparison of a Scout an an F-35A, to scale:

A Scout is more than twice as long, twice as wide, and almost twice as high, and it fills the entire geometrical shape; it is much more than ten times the volume of an F-35.
As I said, 40Dton craft are roughly slightly more than three times the size of the F-35 fuselage

As I said, 40Dton craft are roughly slightly more than three times the size of the F-35 fuselage

About to scale:
Skärmavbild 2022-11-05 kl. 18.11.png

It's less than half the width, almost a third of the length, and less than the height: It's not remotely close to a third of the 40 Dt Pinnace.

Using the max dimensions of the fuselage it would fit into a box of 13 m × 4 m × 2 m ≈ 100 m³ ≈ 7 Dton. Since the fuselage isn't a square slab the actual volume is considerably smaller than that.

Last edited:
Don't you love it when two nerds can troll each other and make one waste an hour on drawings that don't mean much in the long run?
Precision versus quick, rough estimate.

Back