What minis do you use?

I was wondering what minis lines people are using for VaS.

I'm interested in the 1/6000 scale Figurehead line. Would there be any problems in using those, aside from the general difficulty of being able to lose your fleet under a dust mite?

The GHQ 1/2400 line looks pretty attractive, but I'm pretty sure I can't afford it.

Anyway, just wondering. I'm leaning toward picking up VaS, but I haven't fully decided.

I have a variety of manufacturers' models in 1/2400th: Superior, Panzerschiffe, GHQ, one or two Viking Forge and some scratchbuilds. I prefer the larger scale (the GHQs are just exquisite little models) but a lot of folks here use the smaller 1/6000th ships, and have posted pictures of them painted up that don't look half bad.
If price is an issue look at Panzerschiffes: they're not fancy but they're relatively inexpensive, have a huge range available in several different eras and actually paint up pretty nicely. You can also occasionally find a deal on e-Bay of someone clearing out their old collections; I've collected virtually every ship the Japanese ever put in the water by buying up other folks' fleets when they quit the hobby or needed cash for other projects.

I like the Figurehead ships. With my limited space the game "looks" better at 1:6000 than 1:2400. The figurehead line is pretty extensive, they even have the Habakkuk :lol: You can also collect huge fleets at a fraction of the cost. My only complaint is that you cannot order them individually. It is not a huge problem but generally speaking you get all or most of a class of capital ship per pack (such as 4 Iowas).

I use Panzerschiff, I was going to go with C&C initially, but for some reason they were having trouble processing my order (as in they wouldn't take the money from me) for 3 weeks.

GHQ (www.ghqmodels.com). 1/1200 CAP Aero used to be my aircraft of choice but I recently discovered the plastic 1/600 stuff and really like it (actually thanks to one of the chaps around here). Cheap, look great, and they even come with decals! I base all my stuff on custom plywood bases from Litko Aero (www.litkoaero.com)

My Russian Panzerschiffe models showed up yesterday. As above, not the most heavily detailed, but I now have a larger fleet than the Russians had in any one sea, for around $100 US shipped. (4 battleships, 8 heavy cruisers, 2 light cruisers, 3 carriers, 4 subs, 6 destroyers, and 6 torpedo boats) They look good, assortment allowed me to get other ships to fill the bill for nonexistent Russian ones (a neccessity for that fleet). Got aircraft from Tumblingdice in UK. No pics on there site, but the detail on what arrived was nice.

I'm going with Navwar 1/3000th scale myself, primarily because that's what we play locally for other WW2 navy game systems. And they're cheap, and pretty good little models.

OK, you guys know like my little ships. Yesterday I had the chance to play with 1:2400 and I liked it!! So we were then discussing a large scenario for a convention and I crunched some numbers for "what if" the world did not have to wonder whereTask Force 34 is. I'm a little reluctant to say this, but I can order Kurita's Center Force, Task Force 34, and Taffy 3 from Navwar(1:3000), shipped to USA for apprx $124. Now, I am reluctant to add that to get the forces required from Figurehead(1:6000) will run... $125!! :? This is because you will get more ships than necessary due to multiple figure packs.
Just for fun I will do the numbers for GHQ tonight, but it looks like I may be jumping ship from Figurehead to Navwar...

NavWar stuff looks good, not as good a GHQ but good enough. The problem is you can't order via the web. They don't even have email. :(

Has anyone had any bad experiences ordering from them?

I've heard the best way to get them is from Spirit Games (who have a deservedly excellent reputation)

DM said:
I've heard the best way to get them is from Spirit Games (who have a deservedly excellent reputation)
They are good, the website is fully functional, if a bit crude by some standards. If they're out of stock of some item, they have to order it from Navwar, so there could be a delay, but it is the easiest way to get Navwar ships if you don't have a fax!

Wulf

These are my little ship company figs that are part of Stonewall Figures.

www.stonewallfigures.co.uk (or .com) and they are fairly well detailed and extremely cheap!

DSCF0052.jpg

Those do look pretty good! Looks like our friends across the pond have a Panzerschiffe-like 1/2400 alternative to GHQ!

Got any pics of battleships made by those folks?

Conan said:
NavWar stuff looks good, not as good a GHQ but good enough. The problem is you can't order via the web. They don't even have email. :(

Has anyone had any bad experiences ordering from them?

The big difference is value related to cost - for 40 odd quid I've gotten about 12 battleships, 7 carriers, around 15 cruisers (light and heavy), 4 battlecruisers and stacks of destroyers and a few subs.

You can print out filled-out order forms from their website, then mail the order in. Easy - I posted my order last friday, got my models on the following monday.

Only one out of about 40 ships was wrong (a Des Moines class cruiser, 1 out of 2 that I ordered turned out to be a post war ship incorrectly packaged).

Soulmage said:
Those do look pretty good! Looks like our friends across the pond have a Panzerschiffe-like 1/2400 alternative to GHQ!

Got any pics of battleships made by those folks?

Sorry I've only got these four! But more are coming.

Back