What minis are you going to use?

Jellicoe said:
Reaverman said:
The only ones I have, are Napoleonic. But I am buying 6 ships, 3 in 1/6000 and 3 in 1/3000 on Monday, hopefully will post painted pics next week. I'm getting a York class Heavy Cruiser, and 2 Leanders....any guess on what scenario I might be playing in the future?

Maybe something in South American waters?

Could be :lol:

Jellicoe, follow the steps outlined in my original post and you should find pics of almost the whole range of Hallmark/Figurehead ships.

Lord Dave, you can also find GHQ and Hallmark ships at www.magistermilitium.com.

oggie

Link doesn't work. I found the site by searching for it, but it's a US-based site and as such, no use to me. I wanted a UK-based site so I wouldn't need to pay import taxes and trans-atlantic shipping...

oggie x said:
Jellicoe, follow the steps outlined in my original post and you should find pics of almost the whole range of Hallmark/Figurehead ships.

Lord Dave, you can also find GHQ and Hallmark ships at www.magistermilitium.com.

oggie

Right found it. They do look neat. Probably beyond my ability to paint on any detail though. Maybe 1/6000 would be better for modern naval warfare.

There was one letter to many in the link. This is the one:

http://www.magistermilitum.com/

is mongoose going to make thier own mini's for it anytime soon? Otherwise I might go GHQ, those are pretty nice

Of course there's a need. Mongoose could make a profit by producing their own line to use with VaS. I'd never heard of these other ship model lines before they were mentioned here and I'm sure lots of other gamers won't have either.

yeah, i hadn't either. i'm no where near a historical gamer, but it looks like the navwar or whatever line and gbh seem to do about the best jobs. It is unfortunate that Mongoose isn't doing thier own

Well for one thing, if they made them prepainted, they would be the first to do so. Also being in plastic would set them apart from most. The reason they probably will not do this is volume, sadly. Naval games are probably in last place for numbers of players. That, combined with the low ratio of sales per model master commissioned (other than destroyer classes) makes for a bad business move. How many HMS Hoods would you buy? 1. How many Bismarcks? 2. Nelsons? 2. Iowas? 4 (six if you wanted all that were being built). Fletchers? 175, although you'd probably stop after a dozen or so. See what I mean? Naval miniatures sales would basically be a bad business decision, as much as I would love to see a line from Mongoose. A possible suggestion might be to hook up with a manufacturer such as Panzersciffe in the US. David Dougherty has a large line of resin ships in 1/2400 scale that would work very well with VaS. Of course it would be just as good to hook up with Figurehead or some other current manufacturer and then offer it as an "official" MGP authorised line. Jusy a few thoughts I'd toss in.

BuShips said:
Well for one thing, if they made them prepainted, they would be the first to do so.
They'll have to hurry to be the first... there's a naval version of Wizkids' Axis & Allies coming next year...

Wulf

Wulf Corbett said:
BuShips said:
Well for one thing, if they made them prepainted, they would be the first to do so.
They'll have to hurry to be the first... there's a naval version of Wizkids' Axis & Allies coming next year...

Wulf

Thats collectable though, not in the same category in my opinion

2.0 said:
Wulf Corbett said:
BuShips said:

Wulf

Thats collectable though, not in the same category in my opinion

You're both right... :D

Navwar may have to give Mongoose a big pat on the back for the increase in sales they're going to get in December/January :) I know a block of us in our gaming group are probably all going to do one huge fleet order to them, not to mention alot of other people i've seen here that are planning on using them as well..

BuShips I agree. I guess if you come to VAS because you play other Mongoose games like ACTA or SST and happen to click on the forum by accident and find it interesting then yes a Mongoose line makes sense. But commercially it does not really add up. Naval wargamers just wanting a new rules system will either have fleets or know where to get ships from. Individual ships are relatively cheap, players will want a large number of different classes. If you are going to play you don’t just want generic carriers, battleships or cruisers.

I knew of 3 manufactures and now know another 3 lines from what people have posted here. Then there is always the size issue to go with 1/2400. 1/3000 or 1/6000.
Given the selection out there already Mongoose would have to do something really different. Pre-painted plastics might be ok, but as you could do the entire Kriegsmarine in one handy box would this be really worth the investment? How many of those would one want?

BuShips said:
How many HMS Hoods would you buy? 1. How many Bismarcks? 2. Nelsons? 2. Iowas? 4 (six if you wanted all that were being built). Fletchers? 175, although you'd probably stop after a dozen or so. See what I mean?

Well the answer to this is obvious. 1 Hood, 2 Bismarcks (although the Tirpitz was ever so slightly different), 2 Nelsons, 4 Iowas. All in 1/2400. 1/3000 and 1/6000, just in case depending on what the opponent fields :D.

You could also get the "planned for but cancelled / converted" ships, in which case you'd need another three Hoods, one Yamato and two Iowas :)

If we get planned for ships, can I have three G3-class battlecruisers for the Royal Navy?

A ship with the armament and armour to equal the US Iowa class, nearly twenty years ahead of the American ship? Yes please...

G3 and N3 are amongst the planned ships for the RN "What If?" project, which will also include the Malta class carriers, Lion class battleships, ronstructed Hood, etc. To be honest I should have done it already but "real life" is intruding at the moment :(

Back